Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Fairmont 2.0 (forged lq4, s480, 800whp, under new management)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eh.
I say its time for twin gt45s do it!
Old 09-16-2012, 01:53 AM
TECH Addict

I'm with this guy ^^
Old 09-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Launching!

Does it dead hook or spin out the hole? You building any boost at the line? What tires you running on?
Old 09-16-2012, 10:43 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by a4ls2goat
Have you tried flashing it from idle?
yeah that gets me a 2.1 60ft lol
Old 09-16-2012, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by a4ls2goat
Eh.
I say its time for twin gt45s do it!
then it would ET even slower lol but have a 166mph
Old 09-16-2012, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by trav-tech
Does it dead hook or spin out the hole? You building any boost at the line? What tires you running on?
it hooks up great, no boost, 255x60x15
Old 09-16-2012, 10:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Denmah, do you have a trans brake?
Old 09-16-2012, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JAX04
this is what he needs
Old 09-16-2012, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

Try leaning it out some in the area that you are trying to brake boost, if its in the 11's it's too rich. On my little v6 car this made the difference between no boost and 2.2 60's and 1.6 60's. Also more timing worked for me, for me it would give me a little KR under cruse conditions every once in a while and sometimes transitions, but no big deal in my opinion since there is not that much load. With the way my car is set up it really does not get into boost AFR's (less than 12) until 7 psi or so. With my car it does not hurt cause it only is like that under light load and some times (very rare) mid throttle acceleration. I dont hit those blocks often because I ame either in vacuum or beating on it.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice passes Denmah. Did you ever get around to swapping the heads out?
Old 09-16-2012, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

no he has the 706's still i believe. i have a set of 317's off my new motor im giving him for whatever he wants to use them on haha.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:47 PM
Teching In

These two Fairmonts are by far my favorite build on here thus far. Continuing improvements, making it happen on a shoestring budget, having fun, and for the love of God and all that is Holy, no six thousand dollar transmissions, no ten thousand dollar crate motors, and no fancy setups. Just a super sized order of speed shoved into in Aunt Dolores' Sunday Driver.

The inspiration I take away from this build, this thread, and these videos is simple. Make it what you want and enjoy it. Oh, and also, keep it longer than 11.50 until you're ready to get kicked off the track.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:47 PM

nope no trans brake, i dont really want one either honestly. im getting there without it.

Originally Posted by turningfast
Try leaning it out some in the area that you are trying to brake boost, if its in the 11's it's too rich. On my little v6 car this made the difference between no boost and 2.2 60's and 1.6 60's. Also more timing worked for me, for me it would give me a little KR under cruse conditions every once in a while and sometimes transitions, but no big deal in my opinion since there is not that much load. With the way my car is set up it really does not get into boost AFR's (less than 12) until 7 psi or so. With my car it does not hurt cause it only is like that under light load and some times (very rare) mid throttle acceleration. I dont hit those blocks often because I ame either in vacuum or beating on it.
thanks alot for the tips, i read alot about this, and i will be trimming it up a bit coming up into boost.
how much timing are you running at threshhold, 0psi? im running about 26deg, im going to see where it is on the foot brake a bunch of times before i get to the track and make sure its trimmed up good. shoot for like 12.5 or 12.8 on the foot brake till it starts making boost.

Originally Posted by 408GT
Originally Posted by 86lxnotch
no he has the 706's still i believe. i have a set of 317's off my new motor im giving him for whatever he wants to use them on haha.
still stock 706 heads! im going to be meeting up with 86lxnotch soon to grab those 317s and see what they are worth on the dyno! and the track, to see if they are worth the swap. i believe they will have to help out mostly because of the larger valve and better flowing head. even if it does drop the compression i dont mind throwing 26lbs at this thing

Originally Posted by occupant
These two Fairmonts are by far my favorite build on here thus far. Continuing improvements, making it happen on a shoestring budget, having fun, and for the love of God and all that is Holy, no six thousand dollar transmissions, no ten thousand dollar crate motors, and no fancy setups. Just a super sized order of speed shoved into in Aunt Dolores' Sunday Driver.

The inspiration I take away from this build, this thread, and these videos is simple. Make it what you want and enjoy it. Oh, and also, keep it longer than 11.50 until you're ready to get kicked off the track.
thanks alot dude, im certainly having fun, i drove 70 miles to numidia ran 10s a bunch of times knocked on 9s went 140s and drove her home in the rain, i am extremely happy with this car
Old 09-17-2012, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by denmah
Quote:

nope no trans brake, i dont really want one either honestly. im getting there without it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by turningfast

thanks alot for the tips, i read alot about this, and i will be trimming it up a bit coming up into boost.
how much timing are you running at threshhold, 0psi? im running about 26deg, im going to see where it is on the foot brake a bunch of times before i get to the track and make sure its trimmed up good. shoot for like 12.5 or 12.8 on the foot brake till it starts making boost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 408GT

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86lxnotch

still stock 706 heads! im going to be meeting up with 86lxnotch soon to grab those 317s and see what they are worth on the dyno! and the track, to see if they are worth the swap. i believe they will have to help out mostly because of the larger valve and better flowing head. even if it does drop the compression i dont mind throwing 26lbs at this thing

Quote:

Originally Posted by occupant

thanks alot dude, im certainly having fun, i drove 70 miles to numidia ran 10s a bunch of times knocked on 9s went 140s and drove her home in the rain, i am extremely happy with this car
Denmah - how much boost have you taken these truck motors to on pump gas only? More specifically a 5.3 w ls6 cam intercooled

Posted from LS1Tech.com App for Android
Old 09-17-2012, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by stumprrp
Denmah - how much boost have you taken these truck motors to on pump gas only? More specifically a 5.3 w ls6 cam intercooled

well the truck was on 20lbs of boost it was 4.8 with a ls2 cam.
could only get 10deg of timing in it in third gear without getting knock.

we have never done a non methanol'd ls6 cam setup

once we put methanol on the truck we ran 16deg, and kept it there because the truck would not mph any better, went up to 20deg at one point to see if it would.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumprrp

well the truck was on 20lbs of boost it was 4.8 with a ls2 cam.
could only get 10deg of timing in it in third gear without getting knock.

we have never done a non methanol'd ls6 cam setup

once we put methanol on the truck we ran 16deg, and kept it there because the truck would not mph any better, went up to 20deg at one point to see if it would.
Yeah one day ill grab meth but for now I told the tuner pump only. One of my friends really feels that anything under 15 degrees of timing is too low but I know you guys run 12-13 regularly. My tuner likes 11.8-12.0 15 degs for pump and 10 pounds and around 13 deg 11.7-11.8 for pump and 12-14. Sound ok to you?

Old 09-17-2012, 12:53 PM

a turbo 5.3 right?

man 10lbs of boost you can run like 18 ish deg safely.
i would run 15 on 15 and that should still be pretty safe, honestly if the person is tuning it for you they should see the safe limit, there is a point where the motor will stop making great power per degree or per lb of boost.

i usually set the timing at like 12deg, then i start getting the air fuel where i want, and when i get to about 18-20lbs i start walking up on the timing, i will usually pickup 15-25whp per degree. till it tapers off to like 5-10hp per degree. then ill stop.

hope you know what i mean.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:44 PM

lsxtv has really taken a shine to my build lol

i love these guys because they post big dollar stuff and still like to show people my budget scud missile

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/video-matt...nocking-on-9s/
Old 09-17-2012, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know what your saying. He knows what he is doing and told me right out we can run 20 pounds if i had a stouter drivetrain and racegas. Did driveline for GM for 20+ years so he knows as well as we do that these motors take alot.

yes turbo 5.3 (2005 model) with a T70 .96 a/r. 15 pounds would be killer!
Old 09-17-2012, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

That timing should be OK, but you may need to take some out of it at first when playing with it just to be safe. You do have working Ksensors? When I am at or under 7PSI or so I am at N/A "lean is mean" afr's. Low 13's to high 12's. It never hurt my car since I don't spend much time there, but be careful with it.

Quick Reply: Fairmont 2.0 (forged lq4, s480, 800whp, under new management)