Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Fairmont 2.0 (forged lq4, s480, 800whp, under new management)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 04:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Raced it yesterday. Some new videos to share.

It is time to pull the motor and get the pistons squared away. Also have some ported heads to slap on...

Old 03-31-2013, 05:54 PM
Launching!

what tires are on those 10 holes- they look kinda beefy- I wanted some 10 holes for my ltd build but wanted to run a wider tire than what a 7" wheel would fit correctly.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are u planning on putting more OEM pistons back in or dropping some forged ones in on them ls2 rods
Old 03-31-2013, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was at the track Saturday and got to see the car run. My dad and brother were there with me, they were impressed with the cars performance too. I told them the story about the car and they liked it.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's probably not building boost because of the piston. You can hear it as it winds up... it almost sounds like a miss.

Doug
Old 03-31-2013, 09:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn this car looks like so much fun!
Old 03-31-2013, 11:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wiseco now makes a 5.3 piston that they named "junkyard dog". It fits on a stock rod with a stock pin. Here is the catalog.

http://wiseco.com/Catalogs/Automotive/Chevrolet.pdf
Old 03-31-2013, 11:47 PM
Teching In

wonder how much a set of those pistons are? Would be cool to slam some home in my ls2 and crank it just to see what happens.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by narfdanarf
wonder how much a set of those pistons are? Would be cool to slam some home in my ls2 and crank it just to see what happens.
I was thinking the same thing. Seems like a good investment. Lol.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:03 AM
On The Tree

Pretty sure they are only made for the 5.3, but I guess in a ls2 you wouldn't have to worry about gapping the rings loose. lol
Old 04-01-2013, 08:45 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ronnieforrester
what tires are on those 10 holes- they look kinda beefy- I wanted some 10 holes for my ltd build but wanted to run a wider tire than what a 7" wheel would fit correctly.
255 M/T DRs.

Originally Posted by slowbu
Are u planning on putting more OEM pistons back in or dropping some forged ones in on them ls2 rods
I have a set of OEM pistons.

Originally Posted by T/ALT1
I was at the track Saturday and got to see the car run. My dad and brother were there with me, they were impressed with the cars performance too. I told them the story about the car and they liked it.
Did you come up to me? So many people came up to talk to me about the car, I really can't remember. I have never seen it draw such a crowd, LOL.

Originally Posted by douglee25
It's probably not building boost because of the piston. You can hear it as it winds up... it almost sounds like a miss.

Doug
That is the anti-lag, it IS a miss. -10 timing and a rev limiter that pulls spark. However, I think the low hole is definitely an issue.

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
Wiseco now makes a 5.3 piston that they named "junkyard dog". It fits on a stock rod with a stock pin. Here is the catalog.

http://wiseco.com/Catalogs/Automotive/Chevrolet.pdf
Yes, I am very familiar with these and have been thinking of getting them. However, as this motor is internally balanced, I would have to get the rotating assembly balanced. That makes the whole deal more complex and pricey than I anticipated.

Best price I have been quoted is just below $600. As I said up there, it is not just a matter of slamming them in. They are made for the 5.3 and stock Gen IV rods.

Originally Posted by a4ls2goat
I was thinking the same thing. Seems like a good investment. Lol.
It does, until you add it all up as well as the machining. I bought a full set of stock 5.3 pull outs with rings and pins for $70 shipped.

Also, the JYD pistons would yield slightly less than 9:1 compression with the 64cc chamber of the 243 head. So, I would wind up with less compression than I want. As a result, I would probably want to mill the heads a bit. More money and then the possibility of PTV issues, the need for new pushrods, etc. It starts to add up quickly. If it were just an issue of "chucking them in," I would be all over them.

Mike
Old 04-01-2013, 10:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by OldGold
Also, the JYD pistons would yield slightly less than 9:1 compression with the 64cc chamber of the 243 head. So, I would wind up with less compression than I want.
It's just one guy's opinion, but I don't understand wanting compression much above 8.8:1 or 9:1 when you're talking about a turbo engine... The compression lowers your detonation threshold significantly, and only does a tiny bit for power or spool. Much better in my mind to go with lower compression to raise detonation threshold so you can safely add more boost and make a lot more power.... After all, det is what's taking out the pistons.

Put in those forged Wisecos with lower compression and you can make some crazy power to really give those rods a strength test!
Old 04-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Banned

I don't think its necessary to balance the whole rotating assembly just because you want to add pistons lol.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:05 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by OldGold
I bought a full set of stock 5.3 pull outs with rings and pins for $70 shipped.
Where did you find a set at? I am looking for a set for my 04 5.3 I just picked up. Unfortunately, mine did not come with the upgraded ones already.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by adamantium
I don't think its necessary to balance the whole rotating assembly just because you want to add pistons lol.
You wouldn't want to throw off the bobweight by too much though, I wonder if Wiseco tried to match the weight of a stock piston at all with these? I mean the whole point of them is to be able to just throw them in there, right? Maybe with a light brush honing or something...
Old 04-01-2013, 01:20 PM
Banned

Ive had plenty of friends throw in pistons on stock rotating assemblies without getting anything balanced without any issues, weren't LSx's but Im sure it goes for general automotive mechanics. Look at the guys who flycut there pistons on stock short blocks to clear big cams. Im sure balancing would be needed if he plans on turning ALOT of RPM. Id run a forged piston and just be done with the cracking ringlands.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did go look at the car but you weren't there, talked to someone and they told me you just walked away. I am building a 5.3/S475 turbo setup for my car and I will start running at SCR and No Problem so next time I see your car at the track, I'll be sure to introduce myself. Clint
Old 04-01-2013, 03:15 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

i guess i dont have to say, that i would toss on those forged pistons without even thinking about balancing the motor, i have done it a few times with civics and mustangs
Old 04-01-2013, 03:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by denmah
i guess i dont have to say, that i would toss on those forged pistons without even thinking about balancing the motor, i have done it a few times with civics and mustangs
BAHAHAHAH!!!! Of course you did! You're the friggin man.

So anyway, did you ever notice any roughness at certain RPM ranges or anything at all?
Old 04-01-2013, 03:32 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by denmah
Well, I am going to see what Wiseco has to say. I will 100% put them in if I do not have to balance it. Compression is going into the crapper, but I guess I can turn up the boost.

Mustangs are externally balanced. Not as much of an issue, I would imagine.

Mike

Quick Reply: Fairmont 2.0 (forged lq4, s480, 800whp, under new management)