Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

390ci blown alchy injected pump gas. 6x tranny. Should be fun.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 12:42 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 390ci blown alchy injected pump gas. 6x tranny. Should be fun.

Since...... Its no longer a 4.8, I figured i would make a thread to match the new specs.

Anyways backstory:
18 years old.
Doing stupid **** / ended up wrecking 01 camaro.
Joined army a while later.
6 months later:
Needed a vehicle.
Started life as a 4.8 silverado.
Tuned it myself and chopped the cats off.
It got quite a bit funner to drive.
Wanted more power in the truck(I also own a Lt1 transam, I just enjoy the truck more. More comfy to drive.)
Ordered a procharger kit from maryland performance.
Installed it myself, also, had them fab up a new exhaust system, separate 3.5 pipes with super 40s and shorty headers. 48 lb/hr injectors also installed.
Tuned / Dyno'd by them. Made high 300s to the wheel If i remember.
Day 1 after tune: Fun as hell to drive. Can light the tires up at 65mph.
Day 2 after that: Overdrive + Boost = 4L60E broken. damnit.
A year later:
4L60 still broken, only first gear + half of second.
Drove from D.C to oklahoma, 1300 miles. Pulled my transam behind it.
Ran nearly 6000 rpms the entire trip.
Another year after that:
4L60E is still broken, still driving almost daily with half of second gear.
Took road trip to family reunion, got low on gas in the middle of nowhere, HAD to put some 87 in it.
On the way back, went to pass a semi that was doing about 50 on the highway. When I say pass, Im talking about just easing around the semi, Barely even going into boost.
Engine starts missing / acting up. So, I pull over... Start listening, and realize that something is pretty messed up.... and its smoking quite a bit.
Drove it 3 hours back to home.
Did a compression test and found the #8 to be dead. Pulled the injector and plug from it.
Drove it for another year just about daily with a dead cylinder, and a messed up transmission.
After it started getting really bad.... Had to park it, due to it starting to use a lot of oil / smoking real bad.
Ordered a bunch of parts.
Left it at a friends house.
A year later.
Had to file a lawsuit against the above-mentioned guy to get my property back. Had nothing to do with storage / labor fees or anything like that. It was a person issue between him and a family member of mine. My stuff just happened to get put in the middle of it.
A year later
Actually, fast foward to today.
The engine is in, waiting on just a handful of parts and it will be good to go.

A lot of the issues listed above, is issues caused by my own stupidity and ignorance. When you half-*** ****, and don't fix it in the first place, it breaks. And you have to fix it. I DID expect the transmission to die, But, It never did. When I made the 1300 mile trip, I drained the fluid right before I departed, it came out looking like burnt-*** engine oil. It lasted oh.... I want to say 4 or 5 years in its broken stage and never quit. The engine held together just as long, driving near the redline on a daily basis with 10 lbs of boost pumping into it. The fact that neither one actually ever broke, Is a act of god. You can see the pics of the carnage in the other topic after I ripped the engine out.... And, other then being flex fuel..... IE, Running on more moter oil then gasoline, Neither part never quit.

Anyways. My goal, Quite simple:
1. EVENTUALLY make a 10 second quarter mile pass in a full sized full interior SCLB truck.(This will not happen soon. My bank needs time to refuel)
2. Dead reliable.
3. Everything to have a "Factory" feel to it. The little things, such as.... How I tapped into the factory wiring for the autometer gauges, so the dimmers work..... it works when the lights automatically cut on. No ugly-out of place wires. No half-assed work on it anywheres. you know, The little things.
4. Being able to steer with my right foot when it gets sleepy and wants to go down.
5. The ability to be driven daily on pump gas.

The parts I already have acquired with lots of hard-earned money:

390ci built by AES performance. Thanks frasier!(Its actually a bit over 390ci)
TCI 6x, custom order, warrantied at 1200hp.
3200-3600 stall converter.
Snow stage 3 methanol injection.
A nice assortment of auto-meter gauges, the cobalt series.
P1SC reused from the old build.
Everything else re-usuable is also reused.

The parts I am missing that will come soon:
inner-head studs.
flexplate just for that damn TCI converter. The factory one apparently was not good enough for them.
a 6 rib, 116 inch belt.

The future plans(Subject to massive change):
Turbo / F1A, Not quite decided, both have their pros and cons.
Aeromotive A1000 or equivalent fuel pump capable of reaching my goals.
And, a lot of other stuff. Future is future, and now is now, so, on to the progress.

oh, all of the old stuff is at
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...cheaped-3.html

Stuff to do before starting:
Get a 6 rib 116 belt.... Since, apparently, belts skip from 115-117 inches for some odd reason. Might stretch out a 115 to fit, but, thats a lot of stress on the front drive components.
After talking to bob and procharger, I have decided I can swap the 4.5 pulley out with a 3.5 pulley to greatly increase the air flow...... Just, with a 3.5 it would be over spinning the procharger after 6000 rpms. A 4 inch would prob be a better bet, at least, until I work up the funds to afford a nice F1A or turbo, which ever route I decide to go.

I really enjoy the prochargers, and the only part scaring me about the turbo, is the fact it requires a lot of custom fabrication all around, and, running my nice, cool, clean engine oil through a red hot turbine is a bit iffy. And, I think I might miss the sound of hearing the whirrr of the procharger. Then again, I would really enjoy the extra width of the powerband of the turbo, the one thing that bugs me about the centri chargers..... is, you are only at max boost when you shift! With my converter, You step on the gas, you instantly in boost, but, hell, Most of the setups I see on here have no lag whatsoever either, but, can usually pick up max boost around 4000rpm and hold it.

But, this is now, and that is in the future. Goal for this moment in time, is to get everything together, looking pretty, and working good. Going to leave the bypass on the procharger open until I can come up with a A1000 or equivalent fuel pump as well as a set of 80lb/hr injectors. So, N/A for now.

Waiting on a few head studs.

Fill it up with oil, bolt the fan on, and let it rip.

Only one worthwhile picture today, mostly just did a lot of wiring up the fuel gauges and the wideband, tach, etc.

A picture of the nearly completed gauge setup done.

Ran into a problem when I put the battery in, noticed the lights were real dim, and the cap behind the seat said 7v. Messed around for a while, hooked a charger to it..... And got to digging.......

Ended up hooking a jumper cable from the battery to my ground point for the ICE, and voila..... Everything magically had power. So, went and rechecked all of the grounding points....... And, From a guess, Im going to assume I need to run a new grounding wire from the frame to body..... Despite 3 or 4 of them already in place. Ill knock that out tommorow with some sunlight.

Oh, need to finish hooking up the meth inj thing, only involves running a couple wires, and drilling / tapping a hole for it.

Wiring up the TCI TCU is going to be a pain in the ***..... Ill save that for another day......... Around the time TCI decides to send me a flywheel that fits their converter. At least that will make initial tuning easier, since, the engine will have plenty of break-in time before the transmission.

Anybody have problems with HP tuners software on win 7 laptops? Seems every time I plug the damn thing in, I have to delete the drivers and reinstall it.... OR, the computer blue screens. I wish they would get that fixed. But, its only been 4 years since a major update to the software.

So, cross your fingers, hope I get a working serp belt tommorow, and the package from frasier comes in, and I will post up a nice little startup / running video. Might even bolt up the old transmission while TCI is making a flywheel that should have been included with the transmission......... at least, since, only their flywheel fits the converter I am using. At least I would be able to drive around and get some base-line tuning in first gear with the old POS in.

After talking with multiple people, some claiming use a ford 9in, and others saying the 12b will be fine. I am going to take the easy route and spool the 12 bolt and going to use some 3.55 gears or lower due to the ratios of the 6x. Going to take my old driveshaft and have it cut-down and re-balenced while the engine is running N/A.

Anyways, going to make sure everything is perfectly in place, and working well before starting it up. Vids / pictures will follow as they come.

Not going to be very many shiny things, or too much beautification of the body or frame.. Other then the week i spent powerwashing / scrubbing / degreasing the engine compartment.

Yesterday / before thats pictures are in the old thread. For today, only have one worthwhile picture.
Attached Thumbnails 390ci blown alchy injected pump gas. 6x tranny. Should be fun.-2012-03-14_17-53-37_582.jpg  
Old 03-15-2012, 07:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, try breathing once in a while...lol
Old 03-15-2012, 12:14 PM
Launching!

Haha, tell me about it. I will breath once this thing runs!
Old 03-15-2012, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

holy long post batman, all that writing and 1 pic of gauges, terrible. I got all intrigued by the title but couldnt bring myself to read the whole novel lol.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Are you putting a built 60e in the truck? If so, take it out and sell it. It will never hold the power you want in a heavy truck. you need a 4l80.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Im using a tci 6x. Its warrentied at over 1000hp.

And update. Went to start the truck....... nothing.
Scratched my head, and realized the pcm is angry because, it has not been reprogrammed yet... so, its prob because it thinks its in gear.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:42 PM
TECH Junkie

No one can build a 60e to hold that much power in a heavy truck. 500-550 rwhp is about the limit in a nbs truck, and you are still on borrowed time at that level. It's not just the power it is the weight of the truck that is the killer. In a vette maybe. You need to do some research on www.performancetrucks.net
Old 03-16-2012, 12:22 AM
Launching!

As I said 2 posts up, its a TCI 6x warrentied at over 1000hp.

Basically, if it breaks, and its not because of the rear-end locking up, they will fix it.

Edit:

The 6x is pretty much a beefed up 4l80 if ya did not know....
And it splits 1 + 2nd gears to make a 6 speed version of the 4l80e.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a epic story! Cant belive it lasted that long.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

You have a 4l80, you should be good.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by quicksilverado
You have a 4l80, you should be good.
As I said 2 posts up and 4 posts up.
I have a 6x, its more then good. Its a 4L80 beefed up with a internal gear splitter.

It is warrantied at over 1000hp.

Last edited by Ericmck2000; 03-16-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 03-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rubbersdown
holy long post batman, all that writing and 1 pic of gauges, terrible. I got all intrigued by the title but couldnt bring myself to read the whole novel lol.
All of the other pics are in the other thread, I just did not move them over.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...cheaped-3.html

Last page.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:46 PM
Launching!

Blah. need a new pcm. Pretty sure the old one is fried, after spending a day getting hp tuners to work, cannot get it to connect to the trucks pcm. Connects to a diff car and truck no problem.

Checked the fuses underhood, the diag port has power. ideas?

oh, will throw some pics up tonight.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:44 PM
Launching!

Old 03-31-2012, 07:57 PM
Launching!

And project paused...

Waiting on..

Proper flexplate
New PCM.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:57 PM
Launching!

Question:

Does anybody make a tubular tranny x-member for 60e - 80e truck conversions?

Or do i need to pull out the sawzall and the old lincoln
Old 06-21-2012, 01:17 AM
TECH Resident

I searched but couldn't find anything. I noticed you're from my neck of the woods. Join the forum in my sig, there are some VERY knowledgeable truck guys on there. Maybe they can help.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TheLS1Lover
I searched but couldn't find anything. I noticed you're from my neck of the woods. Join the forum in my sig, there are some VERY knowledgeable truck guys on there. Maybe they can help.
Thanks for the link, ill have to check it out.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Assuming anybody is actually watching this thread, or cares about the state of this build....

There has been a lot of progress in the last few months.

I have a full write up at http://xtremeownage.com/index.php?th...se-racecar.323

A few notes...
  • No longer procharged. Has a 76mm Turbo
  • All factory electronics removed from vehicle
  • Using Holley HP EFI

Here is a video of it running, after a bit of basic tuning:

It "should" be up and drivable in the next week or so.

*Edit, Don't hold me to that. I have been saying it will be running for the last 8 years.

Last edited by Ericmck2000; 04-04-2018 at 12:37 PM.

Quick Reply: 390ci blown alchy injected pump gas. 6x tranny. Should be fun.