Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...oost-gear.html
Old 04-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can this be done with Greddy's profec II?
Old 04-19-2012, 11:35 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

As others have said, Eboost 2 does not offer true boost control by gear. At least not easily.

Given you are doing a conversion, what about just using a standalone ecu that has the feature already ?
That would take care of everything, engine, boost etc etc

Most decent aftermarket ecu's will allow boost per gear, road speed, or whatever other parameter you like.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
As others have said, Eboost 2 does not offer true boost control by gear. At least not easily.

Given you are doing a conversion, what about just using a standalone ecu that has the feature already ?
That would take care of everything, engine, boost etc etc

Most decent aftermarket ecu's will allow boost per gear, road speed, or whatever other parameter you like.
The conversion is already completed....using a factory PCM. So I'm not wanting to swap out the wiring or controller now. Good points though...
Old 04-19-2012, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good read...but not available any more, correct? If they are, I'll take 2 of them.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Boost by gear, Lingenfelter STOV VSS converter and ABS sensor

The Lingenfelter STOV-002 (or the earlier STOV-001) VSS converter/vehicle speed switch can't be connected to an ABS sensor. The pulse count is too high on those sensors and our box was not designed for those frequencies. We are working on a replacement for the STOV-002 that will accept ABS wheel speed data but with all the other products in development it will likely be the end of the year or early next year before we have that product available to the public.

The STOV can be used to output vehicle speed to the AMS-1000 boost controller but it is designed to read the ECM/PCM VSS signal so as someone pointed out if you have tire slip it will think VSS has gone up. This isn't a problem for people that are using the VSS to increase boost at higher vehicle speeds where traction is less likely to be a problem but can be a concern at lower vehicle speeds.

We have used the boost controller add-on software for the PCS D200 in several vehicles. It allows us to have RPM, MPH and TPS based boost control so we can increase boost versus vehicle speed and engine rpm and also have the boost target drop if the driver backs off the gas. TPS based boost control can be very important in these conditions since a turbo motor can still make a lot of power at partial throttle if the turbos are still trying to make full boost - they just have to work harder to do so.

VSS and RPM based boost control are not exactly boost by gear but effectively similar. We are using the PCS D200 in our LSX drag car and we used it in the 1600 hp twin turbo standing mile Z06 we did a few years ago. I will have to do some checking on what kinds of VSS signals it can accept - we have normally just fed it the ECM VSS signal.

Originally Posted by salemetro
Problem with that, is that front wheel speed is ideal. When breaking traction with a VSS setup, wheel speed increases (obviously)....but worse, so does boost. Unless, that is, you're able to get a signal from a "non-power-driven" wheel.

Interesting information with regards to the adapter....I'll check it out.

EDIT

I checked it out... Part Number: L460050000 However, I'm not sure if it could be hooked up to something like a front wheel ABS sensor. My car does not have ABS, but I could swap one of the front knuckles for one that DOES....if the PPM would be the same. I'm not sure what it would be.

I wonder if a Dakota Digital SGI-5 speedometer converter box could be used to convert an ABS sensor signal to "MPH"....interesting. The Dakota Digital DSL2 also looks promising....
Old 04-19-2012, 04:56 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jason Haines @ LPE
The Lingenfelter STOV-002 (or the earlier STOV-001) VSS converter/vehicle speed switch can't be connected to an ABS sensor. The pulse count is too high on those sensors and our box was not designed for those frequencies.

As his car does not have ABS he could easily fit an ABS hub to the car, and remove an even number of teeth from the trigger wheel.

This could easily reduce the pulse count to a level your unit would work ?

I did the same on my own car/ecu

I just fitted a trigger wheel and ground off half of the teeth so my ecu was happy with the number.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by salemetro
Good read...but not available any more, correct? If they are, I'll take 2 of them.
Curious about this also I went through the thread but no update? What ever happened to this I'd like to get one as well since I'm going to order eb2 here soon
Old 04-19-2012, 07:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran EB2 on my TT C6Z with boost per gear activated by microswitches. Worked great and would use that controller again if I built another manual trans turbo car.

It was configured to work like this-

1st gear- SP1

2nd gear-SP2

3rd gear-SP3

4th/5th/6th gear- SP4
Old 04-19-2012, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Would really like to see how you had the micro switches mounted and wired if you have any pics or could give me some more info on this

Sorry OP not trying to hijack
Old 08-04-2016, 12:19 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Boost by MPH and eBoost2/AMS

The boost by MPH/staged boost mode output feature of the STOV-004 has now been released. This expands on/improves the similar feature we had in the STOV-002, including allowing you to set the specific MPH points for the stages and the ability to use both Function A and Function B staged boost control modes on the eBoost2.

The product instructions for the STOV-004 that explain how to use this function can be found here:

http://www.lingenfelter.com/PDFdownloads/L460340004.pdf
Old 08-04-2016, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jason Haines @ LPE
The boost by MPH/staged boost mode output feature of the STOV-004 has now been released. This expands on/improves the similar feature we had in the STOV-002, including allowing you to set the specific MPH points for the stages and the ability to use both Function A and Function B staged boost control modes on the eBoost2.

The product instructions for the STOV-004 that explain how to use this function can be found here:

http://www.lingenfelter.com/PDFdownloads/L460340004.pdf
Can't say thanks enough for this! I've been calling other companies and trying to get them to develop something like this for the last 8 months. Glad to see that someone "gets" the need for this product. Looking forward to seeing this thing in the mail.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

The best options out there are AMS2000 and Boost Leash. Those are the most popular and the easiest to setup.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SwampWS6
The best options out there are AMS2000 and Boost Leash. Those are the most popular and the easiest to setup.
Unless someone already owns an Eboost2, and doesn't want to spend $1800 for a boost controller. Although the Eboost2 doesn't have as much resolution as a AMS2000, it still has it's place. For mine, this will work perfectly.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Boost by gear/MPH

I don't think you can do Boost By MPH or Boost By Gear on the Boost Leash without an external/additional way to activate the stages/gear changes (someone please correct me if I am wrong on this). I think it would require microswitches on the gear shift lever, a racing transmission that is already so equipped (G-Force etc.) or possibly manual stage activation via a switch. The staged version of the Boost Leash should be able to use the stage output from the STOV-004 to change stages.

The eBoost2 is pretty easy to configure and use. It is also fairly compact and fits in the place of/acts as a boost gauge as well so it makes it fairly easy to package in turbo vehicles that will likely be getting a boost gauge anyway.

The AMS1000 can do mph based/staged boost using the STOV-004 as an input for the stage activation.

The AMS2000 should be able to do that itself directly via inputs but I haven't used one myself to confirm that.

Another option that does speed based boost control that we have used on several vehicles is the PCS D200 controler with the boost option. That gives a lot of features in terms of MPH, RPM and TPS based boost control and AFR, fuel pressure etc protection limits. It also provides data logging and display capabilities.

Some cost information:
STOV-004 = $124.95
Boost Leash = ~$550
eBoost2 = ~$570
PCS D200 + boost control option = $1174 ($799+$375)
AMS2000 = $1895

Originally Posted by SwampWS6
Old 08-05-2016, 02:13 PM
9 Second Club

Plex Tuning's PBC Pro offers boost by gear, speed...and many other items if so desired.

But it too carries a premium price tag.

Best to just get a decent ecu to control everything and boost, although obviously that adds further cost.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

I actually put a spare ms3 in my car and not only did boost by vss but was able to set it up for traction control that effects the boost first and then progressively cuts 2 to 6 cylinders out depending on how long the tire spin has been happening. If I decide later to use it to control fuel or timing it won't be a problem to add. Best bang for your buck if you ask me but it does require some research and wiring skills.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:37 PM
9 Second Club

controlling boost as a reaction to wheelspin is probably the slowest and least efficient option.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

It seems to work pretty well for me so far. Maybe I'll notice it more the more I use it. I was thinking of doing timing retard instead but I still have the factory e38 controlling the engine so I need to do more research to see how that would work best.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:51 PM
9 Second Club

IMO, timing retard is useless unless the car is pretty low powered, or the difference between power vs grip is very small so it only requires very small adjustments to timing to make a difference.

Quick Reply: "Boost by gear" controllers?