Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Started on my twin turbo build. Pics inside.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed thinking if eventually doing something to this nature
Old 07-08-2012, 12:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UPDATE

I installed the intercooler today. Tomorrow I'll be cutting up the core support and installing the radiator. Once I'm done with that I'll be routing the exhaust and installing the BOVs.

Once I'm done with the turbo kit I'll be tearing everything down to paint the car. With any luck I'll be painting it this month.

Anyway, here's a few pics of the intercooler installed.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:39 AM
Staging Lane

Looks awesome! Love the build so far
Old 07-08-2012, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

I am doing a similar build as well but in my 1967 RS camaro. Got my turbos this week now just have to start mocking up manifolds but they are going to be stainless steel schedule 40 bends should work out well I hope. Very curious how yours is going to turn out. Any thoughts on what size injectors you will use? I was thinking of going E85.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys for all the compliments.

As for the injectors, I'm not too sure which ones I'll be going with. I do know I'm going to need some pretty big ones. I want a fuel system capable of supporting 1300RWHP with E85.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

Well please post what you go with I am heading for the same route but you are far ahead of me I won't get my car back from paint for at least a month or more
Old 07-08-2012, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Will do. I probably won't be getting the injectors till later on. As soon as all the mocking up and welding is done I'll be tearing everything after for paint. So it might be a little while. But I have looking at the ID2000's.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

UPDATE

Well, I haven't got much done lately. Just too many things taking up my time these days. Between work, a new baby on the way and testing for the LAPD I find myself having little time for my car. Anyhow, after work yesterday I laid on the bumper and tried to come up with a way to allow the intercooler to get more cold air. What I came up with was cutting out a design on the bumper that would provide an opening for air. Obviously I will not be using a grill anymore. I got my black marker and traced a line to cut out. I will be cutting out two pieces above and below the "CAMARO" on the bumper. So the only thing in the center left would be a strip that says "CAMARO". I will then put some wire mesh on the back side of the bumper and glue it in place with some epoxy stuff that is used to repair bumpers. This is add stability to the strip that will be left behind and it will also help hide the intercooler a bit. This is what I came up with. Let me know what you guys think.

I also notched the core support to allow the 3.5" tube to pass through.

After mocking everything up and looking at it I'm thinking that I might need to bring the intercooler inward a few more inches and also recline it another 10 degrees. The intercooler right now sits at around 15 degree rake. So here's the questions, would reclining the intercooler another 10-15 degrees effect it's cooling efficiency? Also, how much room needs to be between the intercooler and the radiator, if any?

Last edited by Danny; 07-18-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking good man, I plan on using the same Intercooler for my C5.

Planning on pinning the hood I take it?

I like the cutting of the front bumper, I would use a black mesh behind it.

Jay
Old 07-18-2012, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jay_rich
Looking good man, I plan on using the same Intercooler for my C5.

Planning on pinning the hood I take it?

I like the cutting of the front bumper, I would use a black mesh behind it.

Jay
Ya, I'm definitely going to have to pin the hood. But I've seen some nice flush hood pins that even come with keys. I can install those or I can come up with some kind of work-around. I've was thinking I can install dual latches but that would just add on more weight. IDK. I'll figure it out soon.

Yes, I was going to black out the mesh that I use. This way it will look like a nice grill and help hide the intercooler more. I just need to see what type of meshes are out there.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Danny
Ya, I'm definitely going to have to pin the hood. But I've seen some nice flush hood pins that even come with keys. I can install those or I can come up with some kind of work-around. I've was thinking I can install dual latches but that would just add on more weight. IDK. I'll figure it out soon.

Yes, I was going to black out the mesh that I use. This way it will look like a nice grill and help hide the intercooler more. I just need to see what type of meshes are out there.
Looking GOOD, I got the manifolds mocked up on mine this past week very excited.

We have a guy at the shop that has his intercooler mounted flat so as long as you get air flow I imagine it would be fine! I am possibly going with a air to water intercooler so I dont have to do the hood pins and shorter charge pipes. What are the key hood pins you found?

I think the mesh and cut out sounds great! Have you thought about maybe making a small steel rod frame around the inside of the bumper? I would be concerned about it deflecting after cutting out that much of it. Plus the frame would give you a mount for the mesh and make it more solid?
Old 07-19-2012, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spinya
Looking GOOD, I got the manifolds mocked up on mine this past week very excited.

We have a guy at the shop that has his intercooler mounted flat so as long as you get air flow I imagine it would be fine! I am possibly going with a air to water intercooler so I dont have to do the hood pins and shorter charge pipes. What are the key hood pins you found?

I think the mesh and cut out sounds great! Have you thought about maybe making a small steel rod frame around the inside of the bumper? I would be concerned about it deflecting after cutting out that much of it. Plus the frame would give you a mount for the mesh and make it more solid?
These are some of the hood pins I found...
http://www.3sx.com/store/comersus_vi...dProduct=26361
and these ones
http://www.themustangnews.com/conten...hood-pin-woes/

As for the cutouts on the bumper I'm thinking the mesh will add enough support to the area that will get cut. But I think a custom frame would be a good idea.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Danny
These are some of the hood pins I found...
http://www.3sx.com/store/comersus_vi...dProduct=26361
and these ones
http://www.themustangnews.com/conten...hood-pin-woes/

As for the cutouts on the bumper I'm thinking the mesh will add enough support to the area that will get cut. But I think a custom frame would be a good idea.
The first set of hood pins we have on a car at my shop, I dont recommend them very cheap and plastic eh! I am not impressed with them, seem like some tonka toy part. The second set look decent but really have no idea till you see them in person.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:18 AM
Launching!

cool looking project!
Old 07-19-2012, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spinya
The first set of hood pins we have on a car at my shop, I dont recommend them very cheap and plastic eh! I am not impressed with them, seem like some tonka toy part. The second set look decent but really have no idea till you see them in person.
They're plastic??? Ah crap. I just saw them real quick and saved the link. I thought they were made from billet aluminum. Oh well. I'll start searching again for some other ones. If I can't find anything I'll buy a set of these and reverse engineer them to make a duplicate out of 6061. A friend of mine is a machinist/programmer so I'm sure he can do it.

Originally Posted by Outlaw666
cool looking project!
Thanks man. Hopefully I can get more done this wknd.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So just to recap on my previous question....

Does reclining an intercooler effect it's cooling abilities? Say mount it at a 45 degree angle or less?
Old 07-20-2012, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it does, assuming you do not add any sort of ducting/scoop to direct air to it. By leaning it back, you are decreasing the surface area of the face of the intercooler, and therefore less air hits it, and so on. Now, if that really have an effect of power/efficiency is a totally different question that is out of my hands
Old 07-20-2012, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nebulus
Yes it does, assuming you do not add any sort of ducting/scoop to direct air to it. By leaning it back, you are decreasing the surface area of the face of the intercooler, and therefore less air hits it, and so on. Now, if that really have an effect of power/efficiency is a totally different question that is out of my hands
Ya I figured the more I recline the intercooler the less air will hit the face. I'm not going to have any air ducts to direct air to it as it will be located right there the bumper opening is. I'm thinking the intercooler will be reclined closer to 30 degrees. I just asked about 45 degrees so I have room to work with if needed.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gotcha. With the location, i think it won't really matter whether it's vertical or declined just because as you accelerate, more and more air will be getting to it. But i'm just guesstimating
Old 08-20-2012, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

any updates?

Quick Reply: Started on my twin turbo build. Pics inside.