Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Ported 799's for a Turbo 5.3L?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 01:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Ported 799's for a Turbo 5.3L?

I have a set of new 799 heads and was curious if you guys would recommend porting them. I have the funds to do it, but I'm not sure if the money is better spent elsewhere. I'm looking at Advanced Induction 226cc or 232cc versions, or TEA stage 1.

The setup will be a 5.3L Silverado, T76 intercooled turbo, LS9 gaskets, ARP head studs, 212/212 114 .561/.561 cam, dual springs, hardened pushrods. Otherwise stock motor/intake. Looking for ~600rwhp on 91 octane. Given my fuel limitation here in CA, I figure having the heads breathe better will mean less boost I need to run to reach my goal. Or am I on crack?

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2012, 01:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 163 Likes on 108 Posts

You would be better served by selling your engine and buying an '05+ motor with the stronger LS2 rods. Your stock heads will easily support your modest power goals.

Spend the money on a quality turbo vs. some cheapie unit.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gnx7
You would be better served by selling your engine and buying an '05+ motor with the stronger LS2 rods. Your stock heads will easily support your modest power goals.

Spend the money on a quality turbo vs. some cheapie unit.
Thanks for the info. The reason for swapping heads is because mine are the crack-prone 706's which aren't good for boost from what I've heard.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:38 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

gnx7 is right look for a 04.5 up 5.3 with the good rods and put those heads on that. Plenty of guys running 10's in trucks with stock 4.8/5.3 heads.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:49 AM
MASS seller approved

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Instead of looking for a motor that will resist more detonation...you could spray water or meth and get rid of most of the potential in the first place? Just my 02...

This was the idea behind my move toward straight propane, take a $300 belly button motor like the 5.3 and instead of building the crap out of it so it will take the abuse, feed it high octane to prevent det in the first place. Just crested 20 lbs boost this morning with my new wastegate springs. If your fuel is a fixed variable then cooling the charge should allow you to cram more into the cyl and meet your goals without det or having to visit a machine shop I would think.

(or use octane booster?)
Old 09-18-2012, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Leave heads as is, upgrade springs. Get Meth/water injection on a psi switch. Parts stores sell a gallon jug for about 2$. Get a good pump and nozzle system
Old 09-18-2012, 12:15 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnmaster
Instead of looking for a motor that will resist more detonation...you could spray water or meth and get rid of most of the potential in the first place? Just my 02...

This was the idea behind my move toward straight propane, take a $300 belly button motor like the 5.3 and instead of building the crap out of it so it will take the abuse, feed it high octane to prevent det in the first place. Just crested 20 lbs boost this morning with my new wastegate springs. If your fuel is a fixed variable then cooling the charge should allow you to cram more into the cyl and meet your goals without det or having to visit a machine shop I would think.

(or use octane booster?)
Elaborate on the propane system you have if you dont mind? Reason behind it? Sounds interesting.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:01 AM
MASS seller approved

Not wanting to hijack this thread so I will link to another thread here for more info on my build. http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...-video-507389/

Almost everything I have read about engine failure on these motors can be traced to pump swill and tuning for it. If 91 octane is a fixed variable you have other options before spending big dough at the machine shop. The reason I hate investing anything into the long block is because right now if something goes wrong I am out 300 and a weekend to get my boosted truck back on the road again. Thats less than a set of head gaskets and bolts!

Quick Reply: Ported 799's for a Turbo 5.3L?