Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

383 LT1 Turbo Build Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 383 LT1 Turbo Build Advice

Okay, so I am in the process of building my LT1 into a 383 turbo (more than likely single, but not positive at this point). I just sent in my intake to get ported and will be getting new 23 degree ported and polished TFS heads. Also purchased a rotating assembly through Summit yesterday (ESP-B12106030L19). I should be running right around 8.75 to 1 CR. I'm sure I will have plenty of questions along the way, as this is my first build, let alone serious turbo build. Right now I'm wondering what would be the best oil pump setup. High volume seems to make the most sense, but is it necessary? High pressure as well? If I go high volume, I know to get a new oil pan. Please, only post if you have experience with turbo builds.
Thanks!
Old 09-29-2012, 10:14 PM
TECH Veteran

I have a complete lt1 turbo kit with the oil pan and pump you will need. My383 made just under 690 hp on 14psi. If you want the kit I have it, just pm me for pix and pricing if you want it.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

fellow 383 turbo lt1 here.

im using a standard type melling oil pump. no issues.

generally if you run a high volume pump, a larger capacity pan is a good idea.... which with a turbo, you might run into clearance issues.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by forgedlt4
fellow 383 turbo lt1 here.

im using a standard type melling oil pump. no issues.

generally if you run a high volume pump, a larger capacity pan is a good idea.... which with a turbo, you might run into clearance issues.
Okay, good to hear! I may go that route and see if it will suffice. Just wanted to know if that was enough oil flow for a turbo setup.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Teching In

Well I've got almost everything for the engine to start putting it back together here pretty soon...minus the turbo. I ordered the 55gpm meziere ewp and am obviously going to be needing a new radiator and maybe fans. Which radiator/size are you guys running? Thanks!
Old 11-27-2012, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

I run the stock LT1 radiator, stock fans on early and a 160 thermo with a small drill hole in the plate of it to allow coolant to flow so I can more easily bleed the heads after filling the coolant.

Whether I'm in Houston's bumper to bumper traffic in the summer or at home in Upstate NY, the temp gauge always stays at the first quarter mark. Probably a little too cool if anything.

Standard pre-mixed coolant.
Meziere Electric water pump.

Originally Posted by slow383
Well I've got almost everything for the engine to start putting it back together here pretty soon...minus the turbo. I ordered the 55gpm meziere ewp and am obviously going to be needing a new radiator and maybe fans. Which radiator/size are you guys running? Thanks!
Old 11-29-2012, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mightyquickz28
I run the stock LT1 radiator, stock fans on early and a 160 thermo with a small drill hole in the plate of it to allow coolant to flow so I can more easily bleed the heads after filling the coolant.

Whether I'm in Houston's bumper to bumper traffic in the summer or at home in Upstate NY, the temp gauge always stays at the first quarter mark. Probably a little too cool if anything.

Standard pre-mixed coolant.
Meziere Electric water pump.
Do you not have any clearance issues with your radiator fans and turbo? I was thinking about going with a vertical radiator to make sure I have enough clearance.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:49 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock radiator and fans are more than sufficient if you have the room.

Personally, I would run the stock water pump as well.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

The way Jon (RealQuick) welded up everything, by using a 'cobra' "L" for the intake tube, it's quite tight but it fits!

Originally Posted by slow383
Do you not have any clearance issues with your radiator fans and turbo? I was thinking about going with a vertical radiator to make sure I have enough clearance.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:57 AM
Teching In

Well it's been forever since I've posted, but my car is still coming along. Got it running pretty decent n/a. Just some updates...removed a lot of weight (no nonsense kinda car), transmission was built by Texas drive train performance, got some Weld RTS wheels with skinnies up front, love the coil packs without having to worry about the crap optispark, strange coil overs up front. Well now that it seems to be running okay, I'm thinking about turbo selection, rear end, and fuel system. Just debating if I want to go with 76 or 88mm turbo at this point. Probably 12 bolt rear end and Lonnie's performance fuel setup.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to say a high volume pump with my thread as a reference https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...-my-setup.html

...but then I just noticed it had been 3 years. Lol

I say let your goals determine the turbo. What is it you want? A RWHP number? A certain 1/4 mile time? Let your goal decide the setup.

Shownomercy's turbo LT1 has been geared around a drag strip time. My 383 turbo LT1 is being built for a fun street car and a RWHP goal.

My guess from what you have done so far is for a track setup. If you have a big stall, I say the bigger turbo on a 2 step being able to be spooled up for your launch at the track would be better.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:23 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedJunkee
I was going to say a high volume pump with my thread as a reference https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...-my-setup.html

...but then I just noticed it had been 3 years. Lol

I say let your goals determine the turbo. What is it you want? A RWHP number? A certain 1/4 mile time? Let your goal decide the setup.

Shownomercy's turbo LT1 has been geared around a drag strip time. My 383 turbo LT1 is being built for a fun street car and a RWHP goal.

My guess from what you have done so far is for a track setup. If you have a big stall, I say the bigger turbo on a 2 step being able to be spooled up for your launch at the track would be better.
Pfttt, I just tossed a bunch of odds and ends into a LT1 4th gen and this is what I got.

You have a super low SCR and a eagle (hopefully forged) rotating assembly. Toss a large T6 turbo on, and tbrake/2step it up on boost then run 20psi. Should be fast.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Like stated before, go with the stock style pump. I made a mistake rushing on some parts of my build and most people recommended to go stock pump. And of course I went high volume. I hope to not starve the engine of oil. But my theory was that since the turbo needed oil as well, that a HV pump was needed. I was wrong.

Whatever you do, dont buy parts before you need them. You may end up changing your mind. (Well at least I did)

I'd go with the 76mm since your compression is lower(mine is 10:5), because I dont know how eagle's rotating assembly would handle a lot of boost(assuming forged) on a T6. (Just my opinion)

But good luck on the build, it was a painful road for me and im still not done. Lol
Old 07-13-2015, 09:44 AM
TECH Regular

From my research I would not do anything except a HV pump. Do your own research, come up with your own conclusion, as you can tell our opinions here differ.

I have large tolerances in my motor and a larger aftermarket oil pan holding a bit more oil than the factory one. I have never been, nor will I ever be concerned the oil pump will be starving my motor of oil. I'm not going to name who my engine builder was since he did it on the side from his regular paying job. But imagine who the most successful performance company out there, then take their head engine builder, that's my guy, and running a HV pump was exactly what he said to do. But again, make up your own mind on that one.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Let me clarify, I was meaning to use a stock oil pan and a HV oil pump. I just thought it would circulate oil a lot better. And by it not having stock specs I thought that it would be a good upgrade. We shall find out

Quick Reply: 383 LT1 Turbo Build Advice