Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

my turbo set up

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default my turbo set up

I though I would share some pictures of my in progress turbo set up. My friend + I are doing all the fabrication. Engine is going in an ultima gtr, hoping to put 500hp to the rear tires with a stock motor and 5-7 psi. Should be more than enough for a 2000lbs car.

larger image

larger image

mark
Old 04-12-2004, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sweet but whats an ultima gtr.
a chevy ultima or am i thinking of something else?
Old 04-12-2004, 10:48 AM
chronic masturbator

wow that looks amazing, what is the drivetrain going to consist of?
Old 04-12-2004, 10:48 AM
chronic masturbator

nissan ultima i assume
Old 04-12-2004, 10:50 AM
9 Second Club

http://www.ultimagtr.com/

looks like a bad *** setup
Old 04-12-2004, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tiago
http://www.ultimagtr.com/
looks like a bad *** setup
YOu beat me to. Sorry about that guys, I had seen a few ultima posts so i just assumed people new what it was.

The ultima gtr is a kit car out of england. Custom tube frame, ls1 engine, porsche transaxle. US importer site is http://www.ultimacars.com/ UK Factory site is www.utlimasports.co.uk

Mine is a canam model so it doesn't have a roof, other than that it's the same as the gtr.

larger image

mark
Old 04-12-2004, 11:55 AM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that looks really cool.

def keep us updated
Old 04-12-2004, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Ultima GTR

Did you put the ultima together yourself or order it as a rolling chassis??
Old 04-12-2004, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

That is going to be insanely fast Mark! I just got back from Phx. Intl. Raceway watching GrandAm, GT series road racing and could not stop thinking about building a kit car to perform like those cars.

Are those blue tubes just mock-ups of how the headers will look or are they coverings? Can the Porsche transaxle take that torque?
Old 04-12-2004, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NoGo
Ultima GTR
Did you put the ultima together yourself or order it as a rolling chassis??
I am building it myself. That's the fun part, not to mention I couldn't afford to buy it already done.

Originally Posted by Ryan23silverado
That is going to be insanely fast Mark! I just got back from Phx. Intl. Raceway watching GrandAm, GT series road racing and could not stop thinking about building a kit car to perform like those cars.

Are those blue tubes just mock-ups of how the headers will look or are they coverings? Can the Porsche transaxle take that torque?
The blue tubes are just for mock up. We wanted to make sure they would all be equal lenght and fit under the rear section.

mark
Old 04-12-2004, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

Oh ya, where are you pulling intake air from? All of the Daytona Prototype cars at the races had the manifold on backwards and then had ducting plumed to the inlet from a scoop on the side of the car's body. just curious...
Old 04-12-2004, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ryan23silverado
Oh ya, where are you pulling intake air from? All of the Daytona Prototype cars at the races had the manifold on backwards and then had ducting plumed to the inlet from a scoop on the side of the car's body. just curious...

Not really sure yet. We are in the process of trying to figure out where the high /low air pressure spots on the body are so know where to mount the intercooler and intake. The factory did extensive wind tunnel testing on the gtr but I am not sure it they tested the canam. Waiting to hear back from them. My hope is that the rear end of the car is high pressure and I an build a small scoop into the body to fill an air box to the right of the turbo. If not I will probably run an intake pipe up to the side intake vent. The intake scoop on the canam is useless because it is below the front windsheild

Larger image

a stock Porsche transaxle can't handle very much torque so I had to have one custom built.

mark
Old 04-12-2004, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

I really toyed with the idea of building one of these for a long time, but eventually threw in the towel because of projected costs.

It looked like it was going to cost around 60k to get the job done, and problems with licensing.

It looks as though you are pretty far along. How long did it take you to get this far?
Old 04-12-2004, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

What a cool project car. That is gonna be a hell of a head turner when you get her finished. I'm also curious if this is an off road vehicle or if you will be able to get licensing for it. If so what did you have to do and how difficult was it? I have one friend who imported a skyline and I heard some serious horror stories.

Mike
Old 04-12-2004, 06:07 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,208 Likes on 773 Posts

I like the headers leave them, live on the edge!!!

If you leave the coil packs on the valve covers don't forget to leave room for them when you are mocking up the new turbo headers.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Very impressive work so far. I suspect this is going to be like sitting on a sidewinder missile when she hits the roads. Lock, load and gooooo.

Rick
Old 04-13-2004, 06:50 AM
On The Tree

It looked like it was going to cost around 60k to get the job done, and problems with licensing. It looks as though you are pretty far along. How long did it take you to get this far?
My original goal was to get it built for around 65K. Had I stuck with a pretty basic carbed 350 + stock Porsche trans I could have probably stayed within budget. Going the ls1 turbo route is making it much more expensive. When I looked into building one other builders told me to expect to spend between 75-85K. At first I didn't believe it would cost that much, but I do now. It amazes me how fast this car can make money disappear.

The kit arrived in the US in Jan 2003, I have a little under 400 hours of time in it already.

I'm also curious if this is an off road vehicle or if you will be able to get licensing for it. If so what did you have to do and how difficult was it?
Getting the car into the US was pretty easy. Because it enters the US without an engine or trans, customs, DOT, and the EPA don't consider it a car. To them it was just a crate of car parts. I did have to get a customs broker to handle all the paper work and make sure I paid the correct import taxes. Mine came in before they beefed up the port security after 9/11. Some of the newer builders are having their crates held up by customs. They never evened opened my crate. Really getting it into the country was easy, expensive but easy.

The car is street legal in the US. Each state has different rules for kit cars + different emissions standards. Most states base the emissions off the year of the engine. In those state you just drop in a pre 74 block and you have no emissions. States like MD base the emission off the frame, so if you title it in 2004 you have to pass all the 2004 emissions standards.

Since I live in MD and wanted to run an LS1 motor I was originally told by the DMV I would need to put in a 2004 block with all the emission control devices + onboard emissions diagnostic equipment. Luckily I got connected with a guy at the dmv who pointed out some kit car legal loop holes which in the end made the car emissions exempt. The car is basically registered has a street rod. No emissions, no inspection needed.

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I like the headers leave them, live on the edge!!!
If you leave the coil packs on the valve covers don't forget to leave room for them when you are mocking up the new turbo headers.
I think the plastic tubes should work fine, not sure the electrical tape holding them together will take the heat. May need to switch to duct tape

I am running a tecIII set up which uses its own coil packs, they are going to be mounted below the headers.

mark
Old 04-19-2004, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

Updates from this weekend. We got the drivers side headers all tacked up.

larger image

larger image

mark
Old 04-19-2004, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Very nice. Really good looking fab work. Are you guys bending your own or working with pre-bent stuff and just chopping accordingly.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

that looks amazing man!!

Quick Reply: my turbo set up