Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My budget Twin Turbo 383 build

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 08:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My budget Twin Turbo 383 build

Well I finally making the switch. Car used to be a nitrous car, but have always like turbos. I used to race a turbo SVO back in the day, hence the name.

Looking for 1,000+ RWHP.

The new motor will be a Twin Turbo 383.
Aluminum Ls1 block
Lunati Voodoo 4” crank
Lunati dish pistons -30cc
Eagle rods
APR main studs and head studs
Holley High Ram.
Ls9 gaskets

Not sure which heads yet. I would love the PRC 227cc’s. But will all depend on budget.

Want them to be around 56cc to get the comp ratio to like 9.5:1
Bosch 210# injectors to run e85.(might find something around the 80# range used and cheap to start)

Truck manifold’s
Twin Precision Billet CEA 6766s
A2W frozen boost setup.

Going to try to get to 2800 race weight.

It’s early in the build so some stuff might change.

Getting married in 5 months, so most of my funds are going to the wedding. But once it’s over, I will be wrenching in full force.

So a little back tracking to give you more info on the car.

Car went to MWC 3 years ago to get his fab 9 setup and a cage. Knowing I planned to do a high HP turbo setup later, I built it to make sure it could handle whatever I threw at it.

My 9” setup is as follows:
-Narrowed 4.5” on each side.
- 5/8” Axle studs
-back braced.
-40 spline axles, gun drilled and flanges lightened.
-Strange Ultra Case & C/M Yoke Upgrade.
- Spool.
- Strange Pro Race brake kit.
-dual caliper.
- Meziere rear side filler cap installed.
-3.90 gear

Rear susp:
-MWC tubular chromoly anti-roll bar
-MWC chromoly adjustable lca's
-MWC chromoly adjustable phb
-MWC short torque arm with DS loop
-Deleted upper phb
-Strange double adjustable shocks

8 point cage from MWC

There is currently no motor in the car. I have the block out and ready to go to Eric @ MWC to weld a small crack in one of the head bolt's. Also, to run a motor plate, a bung will need to be welded onto it.

Once those get done, the block will go to AES for a cleaning, half fill with hard blok, and honing for my lunati pistons.

I pretty much ripped everything out of the engine bay, as I am getting the car ready to take to Eric also. He will be doing a ton of work.

8 point to a 12 point
cut a ton of metal from the front end.
Ditching my BMR k-member and putting on MWC's complete front end kit.
Installing my motor plate
Fabbing up a mid plate
installing a lexan windshield
Making a custom wing for the back
Parchute mount
rear bumper support

When the car is done, the front end should look a lot like Brian Black's front end. Here is a pic of his car:

Eric's front end setup:

I will do my best to keep updating this thread.

pics of my T/A can be seen @ http://www.vip-racing.com/pics/piwig...hp?/category/1

Last edited by 4bangermustang; 11-18-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:18 PM
11 Second Club

I wanted to do a nice big fuel setup, but again, on a budget.

Doing 3 walbro pump's with a -10 setup all going into a 99 stock tank. Will not cut the sides of the pickup at all, will prob just drill another hole or two in the bottom.

Just ordered all of this:

Part #'s for anyone doing this:

Jeg's -10 fuel filter: 555-150006 $79.99
Anodized Straight -10AN Female to 1/2" NPT Male Swivel Coupler : 555-100338 $9.99
-10AN Black Bulkhead Nut: 555-110294 $2.99
-10AN Black Flare Bulkhead 90° Fitting: 555-110264 $14.99
-Walbro GSS340 $74.99 (Pump only, better off getting one with the filter and wiring harness :/)
- McMaster Carr - Three-way aluminium manifold for air. 1/2" 5465K73 $9.14
- McMaster Carr - 10 pack 5/16" barb fittings 5346K16 $12.86 (they sell them in singles, but they were like $2 each i think and will end up giving some to a friend or two.)

Ordered everything but the Mcmaster Carr stuff right off Amazon.

Already have a racetronix pump setup, so that's 1 pump. A buddy gave me a brand new gss340, so I only needed to order 1.

Still need to order line and a regulator

I will prob use a Aeromotive 13110 Pro-Series EFI Regulator

Last edited by 4bangermustang; 11-16-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:34 PM
11 Second Club

Last night I order a plasma cutter. Always wanted one and since I plan to fab the kit myself the best I can, it should help a ton.

ordered it off amazon - Lotos LT5000D for $400.00

I already have a set of truck headers I bought off a friend local. I also ordered a set of 2.5" v-bands.

as soon as those parts come, I'll weld them on.

as for the car, I have the dash pulled and the entire engine bay for the most part cleared. I only need to pull 1 harness. just need to cut a small part out to get the harness out.

Going to be getting the drag front brake setup from eric and going to a manual setup. He makes a nice kit with a line lock which I could really use. Doing burnouts without one and dual calipers isn't fun

picked up a windshield removal tool also this week from harbor freight, cost me $20. Going to go a head and pull that some time this week to make it a little easier on Eric.

As soon as the fuel stuff comes in, I will cut a hole in the top as I don't want to pull all the rear end stuff out. Also, if I need to get at it later, it will be quick and easy. Hope to also do that some time this week.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is gonna be one sick T/A!
Old 11-14-2012, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed
Old 11-14-2012, 09:50 PM
Launching!

What compression ratio and what cam do you plan on running? e85??
Old 11-14-2012, 10:02 PM
11 Second Club

It will most likely be an e85 setup. I will prob a few different tunes, one for pump gas, one for c16, etc...

but e85 off the bat.

Comp will be low. I will try to get it as high as I can. Going to shoot for around 9.0:1 to 9.5:1. going to try to get like a 56cc head.

Still open on the cam. Tu3? Custom spec'ed one for my setup?

I'm sure there is a bunch of things I forgot, but I will add them as they are asked or I get to that point!
Old 11-15-2012, 10:56 PM
11 Second Club

Pulled the windshield today. What a PITA!

Let me give you some great advise. Call a glass guy and pay them to come do it. I spent like $40 in tool and a few hours of pain in the *** work.

Ended up spider webbing part of the glass, and did a little work to my head liner.

Anyways it out now. Decided to bring out the scale and weight some stuff.

Windshield = 40#
Headlights = 15# each
both hood hinges = 5#
ABS block = 8#
Booster & Master = 11#
Pass air bag and bracket = 15#

Next project will be V-banding the headers and installing the 3 walbro setup. Hope to do that this weekend and next week. Just need to wait on all the parts.

Brian
Old 11-16-2012, 04:18 PM
11 Second Club

Fuel pump and parts came in.

Bad news is the fuel pump I ordered was the pump only. So need to find a wiring harness and 2 filters(my other pump is missing a filter).

Will prob cut a panel this weekend and get started on that.

A good thread about making an access panel. I plan to go this route as I don't want to have to drop the rear every time I want to mess with the fuel system. Not to mention the car will be getting cut up anyways to reduce weight.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-i...where-cut.html

Last edited by 4bangermustang; 11-16-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Teching In

should be a bad ride when completed

why such low compression especially planning for E85 or C16?
Old 11-16-2012, 05:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mystic97
should be a bad ride when completed

why such low compression especially planning for E85 or C16?

Got a good deal on the pistons. If I get them to 9.5:1 I think that will be pretty good.

After I get everything sorted out, I'll build a real motor. An ERL block would be really nice. maybe once I get going I could get them to sponsor me too!

But I don't want to get carried away with a crazy build now and then it will never get done.

What I have planned now is already a good amount of work and money.

baby steps!

Brian
Old 11-17-2012, 08:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep up the good work! Looks like fun!
Old 11-17-2012, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow that T/A will be KILLER!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:29 AM
Staging Lane

Sick build.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 4bangermustang
Got a good deal on the pistons. If I get them to 9.5:1 I think that will be pretty good.

After I get everything sorted out, I'll build a real motor. An ERL block would be really nice. maybe once I get going I could get them to sponsor me too!

But I don't want to get carried away with a crazy build now and then it will never get done.

What I have planned now is already a good amount of work and money.

baby steps!

Brian
I see and it looks like a pretty extensive build already buddy. I would do what you can between heads and head gaskets to achieve a min of 9.5:1 comp. The days of low comp are over with.

look forward to seeing the car done and out next season and maybe we can do some friendly racing

ttys
Old 11-18-2012, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

you might want to look into going with 6266 instead of 6766, unless you're looking to make 1500hp to the tires the 6262 or 6266 will suffice depending on where you want your power to be made and spool a bit quicker, im going to be running a pair of 6266's on my 383 for street use and it will still make well over 1000 to the tires
Old 11-18-2012, 08:55 PM
11 Second Club

Cut my access panel today. Anyone looking to do this should prob use the link I posted about cutting it. I was careful to not cut too deep, but since I went so wide where there are parts the tank is on the metal you are cutting. Also, I should of stayed within the spot welds, which is why it has wings. No biggie, I'll either cut them off or it will just hide under the panel.

going to pull the inline pump i have this week and put power to the intank one and drain the tank.

I ordered the 2 filters, wire harness, clamps, and hoses, I need to do the 3 intank setup. As soon as those parts come in, I'll finish up this project.

Also, my v-bands came in. Those things have some weight to them. The 2 ends pieces and clamp are prob 3 to 4 pounds.

As soon as my plasma cutter comes in, I'll work on cutting the ends off my manifolds and welding on the v-bands.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4bangermustang
Cut my access panel today. Anyone looking to do this should prob use the link I posted about cutting it. I was careful to not cut too deep, but since I went so wide where there are parts the tank is on the metal you are cutting. Also, I should of stayed within the spot welds, which is why it has wings. No biggie, I'll either cut them off or it will just hide under the panel.

going to pull the inline pump i have this week and put power to the intank one and drain the tank.

I ordered the 2 filters, wire harness, clamps, and hoses, I need to do the 3 intank setup. As soon as those parts come in, I'll finish up this project.

Also, my v-bands came in. Those things have some weight to them. The 2 ends pieces and clamp are prob 3 to 4 pounds.

As soon as my plasma cutter comes in, I'll work on cutting the ends off my manifolds and welding on the v-bands.
You wanna do all this nice work in the engine bay and then hack up the rear sheemetal because youre lazy...To each their own!
Old 11-18-2012, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by p8ntslinger676
you might want to look into going with 6266 instead of 6766, unless you're looking to make 1500hp to the tires the 6262 or 6266 will suffice depending on where you want your power to be made and spool a bit quicker, im going to be running a pair of 6266's on my 383 for street use and it will still make well over 1000 to the tires

I doubt my 4l80 and 9" would let me get those turbo's to 1500 RWHP. But the reason i want those is it's a drag car, so not worried about low rpm boost.
if they are really laggy, I'll just spray it. I want to be able to turn it up if I want to see how much the stock alum block will handle. Also, I plan to eventually change the bottom end out for a stronger setup. When I do, I don't want to have to worry about swapping out the turbos too. Plus They are only like $200 more for 200 more HP.

Brian
Old 11-18-2012, 09:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Trap doors to access fuel tanks are pretty common, Its quite a pain in the *** to have to drop the tank if there is ever any problems with the pumps. I wouldnt call it a "hack job" as long as its covered up nicely.

Quick Reply: My budget Twin Turbo 383 build