Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

2000 silverado 2500 LD (sloppy mechanics) 4000 miles later 675whp

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 01:16 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just dont get why you would post pictures showing how bad it is? If its for a laugh well fine........To each is own but if it were me and thats what i started with, Which it wouldn't be because i care LOL, i would make sure that everything is grinded down looking decent and paint it to hide anything that looks like a mess. Yes you make some numbers thats the argument but come on now.....

Last edited by Camaro9969; 02-04-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

QUOTE=Camaro9969;17119319]I just dont get why you would post pictures showing how bad it is? If its for a laugh well fine........To each is own but if it were me and thats what i started with, Which it wouldn't be because i care LOL, i would make sure that everything is grinded down looking decent and paint it to hide anything that looks like a mess. Yes you make some numbers thats the argument but come on now.....[/QUOTE]

Your point is very valid friend. Many won't understand why, but if you have followed any of Matt's builds, its the "I don't give a ****, I just want to hurry up and go fast attitude many are cool with" and admire since he actually gets it done. Now if he was just another slob with nothing to show for it then fine, but the guy delivers and **** like this is his quirky addition. Your not from Yellowbullet now are you...lol. It doesn't bother most, and if it does...well its' the internet so everyone is right.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:36 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

basically what i am doing is proving a point that pretty does not equal fast.

plenty of people want to build a car to have fun with and could give a **** less how it looks, and they are never taking it to a car show, they just want to have fun.

basically these guys see rockstar welds for thousands of dollars into things on the internet and think man this is all out of my reach, what they realize after seeing what i do is, they can do it, they can complete it by themselves and it doesn't have to be an A+ job to be reliable and fun and functional, you can build a D- car and still pass at sloppy mechanics university

you ask why dont i spend all day grinding down welds and and possibly comprimising the weld and then painting it so you think it looks nice, youll still say i did a shitty job and then i have a weld joint that blows out because i had to make it "pretty" for a dude on the internet.

dont take it personally because i dont

but then people who you might actually learn something form will never join in the fun because they are scared to be put down by people on the internet.

i grew up seeing old dudes with 100hp small blocks all the same motor, the same car, the same carb and these dudes touted all day that these things were earth movers and ground pounders and they had chrome parts and looked down on everything else, they park it in the garage all year, wash it every weekend till the paint comes off and cruise to the old head meets around town and then run the **** away when clouds roll in.

these guys spend days setting up their oil pickup tube in their oil pan and talk about porting their heads to make 2 hp and the same cam as every other small block dude, and a 850 double pumper on a 100hp v8.

this **** makes me nuts, youre driving a summit catalog, not a hot rod.

these guys have the ***** to look down on what i do!

anyway enough of me ranting about this, the point of my story is, these people are asking me how i do it, what to use, and how to build it and they even ask me to tune it when they are done or i help them...

feels kinda funny to be re-writing the rule book and helping guys twice my age tune their cars, after i was the one doing it wrong for years.

but for me, spending the time to make it pretty is like putting make up on in the morning, and im not about to start doing that.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro9969
I just dont get why you would post pictures showing how bad it is? If its for a laugh well fine........To each is own but if it were me and thats what i started with, Which it wouldn't be because i care LOL, i would make sure that everything is grinded down looking decent and paint it to hide anything that looks like a mess. Yes you make some numbers thats the argument but come on now.....
Last time I checked this thread isn't about "what Camaro9969 WOULD do" it is about what Denmah is DOING.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:06 PM

just another quick point, my friend helped me build a turbo kit for my bike one year, and he welded the top part of the intake hat we made, he spent most of the day welding it and grinding it pretty, and you could barely tell it was welded, well thats because it was barely welded, first rip on the dyno was like 3psi, and then 1psi... turns out they blew right out on less than 6psi of boost (wastegate pressure)

so then i hammered them down with ugly welds and boosted away.

Name:  1021071646a.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  71.6 KB

reference lol

im not trying to be mean or chase you out of my thread, i like criticism, maybe youll understand more of why i do, what i do, after all this explanation haha
Old 02-04-2013, 03:31 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is not the prettiest stuff, but it works, it flies and it brings a huge smile to your face. Hey, I washed the Fairmont, cleaned the 10 holes and even sprayed some flat black high temp paint on the hot side of the turbo kit (to help with rust protection as car is outside in Louisiana), but I am not going much further than that. I would much rather drive than wrench and I will never be a perfectionist. Even looking sloppy, the car draws a huge crowd every time you pop the hood......

Mike
Old 02-04-2013, 03:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well said!!
Old 02-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love rat rods,budget hot rods,and the type of work the op does,all i care about is the final outcome,if the car hauls *** than im happy,i dont need all the bells and whistles that make something pretty,we want fast cars,i drive my car any time i can,why because i enjoy it,imo thats what its for,not to cover up in the garage and just go to shows n wipe down all day with a diaper, denmah i love your work,performance is all that matters to me
Old 02-04-2013, 04:20 PM

If I can't key it and wrech out a 1000 ft burnout I don't want it lol
Old 02-04-2013, 04:20 PM
8 Second Club

I get what your saying, the whole looks ugly but goes fast thing is nothing new. We all have been seeing it for years no matter what kind of car it is there is always a group of cars like this. If you just take your time prep things well you can make it look nice you just choose not to. You dont need to pay thousands for "Rockstar welds" You just can take pride in your work taking time to measure prep and weld and it will look (and work) much better. And for that intake if it was welded properly you wouldnt of had any issues in the first place. But again I get it i just was commenting thats all............
Old 02-04-2013, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 104 Likes on 73 Posts

Safety and gravity is some things you can never get away from.

Matt, plz make it safe.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:36 PM
Launching!

I dont care about what you think will work better, just like demnah doesn't care about looking pretty.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Pathological Modifier

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know what your plans for the rear axle are, but if it has the "Gov-Lock". you may consider changing it out. Yukon Gear makes a Spool for the 14-bolts if thats what it has. The factory locking diff has a high chance of grenading.

Note: This is not personal experience, just something I have heard from a rear end professional.

Ryan

Last edited by Ryan K; 02-04-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:55 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

^ While I agree with that the 14 bolt gov loc is a HELLA lot better than the 10 bolt versions. It'll most likely snap on launch when it breaks anyways.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by cam
^ While I agree with that the 14 bolt gov loc is a HELLA lot better than the 10 bolt versions. It'll most likely snap on launch when it breaks anyways.
Yeah not sure what ill do yet going to do axles and see how the diff does the stock locker onmy friends 2010 silverado handled 650whp and 10s no problem
Old 02-04-2013, 06:00 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Yeah but that was brand spanking new too. They get corked from driving in semi slippery conditions on the street when the lock/unlock hard. Once they are locked they are not that bad its the process of getting them locked that breaks em.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

Matt can we get a guesstimate on how much rwhp you're expecting out this one.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by cam
Yeah but that was brand spanking new too. They get corked from driving in semi slippery conditions on the street when the lock/unlock hard. Once they are locked they are not that bad its the process of getting them locked that breaks em.
I hear ya spool and axles all at once might go in lol
Old 02-04-2013, 06:08 PM
TECH Regular

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...turbo-kit.html

Also an example of what you can do with little-no experience in your own garage. Again, I wasn't ripping on you, was just curious. I wish that your nut swingers didn't mind criticism similar to how you don't.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by denmah
basically what i am doing is proving a point that pretty does not equal fast.

plenty of people want to build a car to have fun with and could give a **** less how it looks, and they are never taking it to a car show, they just want to have fun.

basically these guys see rockstar welds for thousands of dollars into things on the internet and think man this is all out of my reach, what they realize after seeing what i do is, they can do it, they can complete it by themselves and it doesn't have to be an A+ job to be reliable and fun and functional, you can build a D- car and still pass at sloppy mechanics university

you ask why dont i spend all day grinding down welds and and possibly comprimising the weld and then painting it so you think it looks nice, youll still say i did a shitty job and then i have a weld joint that blows out because i had to make it "pretty" for a dude on the internet.

dont take it personally because i dont

but then people who you might actually learn something form will never join in the fun because they are scared to be put down by people on the internet.

i grew up seeing old dudes with 100hp small blocks all the same motor, the same car, the same carb and these dudes touted all day that these things were earth movers and ground pounders and they had chrome parts and looked down on everything else, they park it in the garage all year, wash it every weekend till the paint comes off and cruise to the old head meets around town and then run the **** away when clouds roll in.

these guys spend days setting up their oil pickup tube in their oil pan and talk about porting their heads to make 2 hp and the same cam as every other small block dude, and a 850 double pumper on a 100hp v8.

this **** makes me nuts, youre driving a summit catalog, not a hot rod.

these guys have the ***** to look down on what i do!

anyway enough of me ranting about this, the point of my story is, these people are asking me how i do it, what to use, and how to build it and they even ask me to tune it when they are done or i help them...

feels kinda funny to be re-writing the rule book and helping guys twice my age tune their cars, after i was the one doing it wrong for years.

but for me, spending the time to make it pretty is like putting make up on in the morning, and im not about to start doing that.
Well put man. I may try to make things look as best as I can with what I have, but not everything is perfect some times.

Quick Reply: 2000 silverado 2500 LD (sloppy mechanics) 4000 miles later 675whp