Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Beating those 1500AWHP URG Gallardos

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 07:45 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Go look at pretty much any time attack series. The top cars will be 800-1000bhp turbocharged cars! but then there are people that drive 600kg (1300+lbs) Caterham 7 style cars with 550-600bhp 2.0ltr turbo motors in them around tracks! Then there are the hypercars like the koenigsegg, Vayron, etc that have a simlar level of power that people drive around tracks. Not to mention the plethora of Turbo 911s out there with Big pwoer (800++bhp) that are tracked!

I do see your point that there becomes a point where power is simply weasted but it is dependent on the chassis, track, tyres and most importantly the driver.
Absolutly agree with what your saying, but my point is, when it comes to race tracks, most of the time 'gained' is from being able to break later, and carry more speed through turns, and to be able to accelerate quicker out of turns. Having a 4000lb car that makes 1200-1500hp is going to be outbraked, outhandled, and out acclerated coming out of the turns by the 3200lb Z06/Viper/etc putting down 500-700hp. So unless you have some long stretches to where that 1000+hp can shine, it's not going to be faster.

Not arguing, just saying.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Show me any road course race car with that much power? Seriously, any race series or race car. Honestly, on most race courses, you don't need that much power to go fast because you never have a long enough straight to use all that power, with the exception maybe being LeMans with their huge straights. Race courses are dominated by cars that handle, hence why the C5/6R corvettes domninated because they had enough handling to be able to use the power they were generating.

Fact is, a 1000+hp car appeals to a certain market of consumer, and those people love to go fast in a straight line.
I agree but my point is.. those 1000hp gallardos and gtrs CAN run the road course if they choose. They are not one dimensional even if they were built up to primarily roll race etc. The car posted above is one dimensional, and will never be able to see a road course no matter what he does to the car. The lambo/gtr.. all they have to do is turn the boost down.. drive to the track.. and do 1.0g laterals without a problem.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppacapp
I agree but my point is.. those 1000hp gallardos and gtrs CAN run the road course if they choose. They are not one dimensional even if they were built up to primarily roll race etc. The car posted above is one dimensional, and will never be able to see a road course no matter what he does to the car. The lambo/gtr.. all they have to do is turn the boost down.. drive to the track.. and do 1.0g laterals without a problem.
That's a very good point! They don't have to run 1600bhp. I tried to find some vids of TT lambos on road courses but could only find a few and they were pretty poor.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:55 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,140 Likes on 740 Posts

Right the Turbo WS6 is a drag race class car, just came out to run to support a sponsor.

Did our best, but no desire to modify the car to go quicker in the 1/2 mile, they don't track that info well and it's just for bragging rights no prizes or anything.

We could take a car making far less power like 1200rwhp and beat all those import guys the two quickest cars run mid 8's in the 170's in the 1/4

Frankly the Eclipse was the most impressive, going 214mph with a single 67mm. Granted the car must be pretty light, but impressive none the less. They run the car in the 1/4, 8.2@17x mph I was told. No idea if that car can run a road course or not (nor do I care). Dave Buschur (spelling?) was there with the Eclipse.

My friend Ivan drives the AMS GTR, had a good time hanging out.

No need for these little bickering you guys are barking about nothing.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Right the Turbo WS6 is a drag race class car, just came out to run to support a sponsor.

Did our best, but no desire to modify the car to go quicker in the 1/2 mile, they don't track that info well and it's just for bragging rights no prizes or anything.

We could take a car making far less power like 1200rwhp and beat all those import guys the two quickest cars run mid 8's in the 170's in the 1/4

Frankly the Eclipse was the most impressive, going 214mph with a single 67mm. Granted the car must be pretty light, but impressive none the less. They run the car in the 1/4, 8.2@17x mph I was told. No idea if that car can run a road course or not (nor do I care). Dave Buschur (spelling?) was there with the Eclipse.

That AMS GTR was crazy fast! Did that twin turbo viper get over 170 at all? I know he was having tuning issues
Old 06-04-2013, 04:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John

I know Dave... he built my old Eclipse for me. Pretty cool guy.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:59 PM
chronic masturbator

I work at Shepherd Trans/Racing and we do all the Trans builds for the big boy GTRs (AMS, T1 etc) The GTRs are the closest to being in the same ballpark almost all the ones I know of are 900+hp,, our shop car did 0-200 in 14secs,, The AMS car is STUPID and the guys there are really good dudes
Old 06-04-2013, 08:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dynedta
I work at Shepherd Trans/Racing and we do all the Trans builds for the big boy GTRs (AMS, T1 etc) The GTRs are the closest to being in the same ballpark almost all the ones I know of are 900+hp,, our shop car did 0-200 in 14secs,, The AMS car is STUPID and the guys there are really good dudes
Shep is the man and a good guy. That would be a GREAT organization to work for.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does your company modify the stock trans or is it some unique beast all together?
Old 06-05-2013, 06:35 AM
chronic masturbator

Heavily modified stock trans, the OEM design is pretty unique though, its amazing how a 1000+ hp car can drive like stock and be a daily driver
Old 06-05-2013, 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Heavily modified stock trans, the OEM design is pretty unique though, its amazing how a 1000+ hp car can drive like stock and be a daily driver
Can you pm me a price on a rebuild? Don't get how a clutch is not a serviceable item at the dealer.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by doug118
Learn the difference between fastest and quickest. Just because Larson's car can make a slow trip across the country does not mean its a street car. Lets see him do a bunch of 60-220mph highway pulls, then slow down back to 60, put the AC on, and listen to some music while sitting in leather seats
Soooo much f***ing win in this statement right here! And I'm a die hard General Motors guy, but you gotta give respect where it's due. The UR cars are purpose built for this exact environment, and still 100% streetable. Larry Larson's car is a drag car that has just what he needs to be considered a street car. There is no way in hell he can drive all over the U.S. and have all the creature comforts of one if these cars. And he runs 1/4m, these guys run 1/2m and mile events. Sometimes the fan boys need to pull tbeir heads out of their asses and at least be honest with themselves!
Old 10-17-2013, 06:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS6427
Eh, nothing to watch from scared people with no vision.

This is a good thread for all of us Vette/FBody people.......it makes us all think.

Personally, my AES forged 390ci was just started up last week, it's getting tuned Monday or Tuesday after my exhaust gets installed Monday morning. I'm having the Modular Turbo/CBR Twin Turbo kit installed. I'm gonna set it up to make 1,200 RWHP. It's gonna be my starter car into the world of boosted cars. I have plans maybe at years end to have an LSX iron 402ci built with 6 bolt heads and slam it with a lot more power and build the car for roll racing only. Mini tub, chassis work, suspension work, aero work, whatever it takes to make it hook as good as possible.

So I like this thread and listening to ideas........negativity and just giving up is just bullshit. And quite cheesy for the real performance enthusiasts.

Well, in all honesty, I'm a Vette guy, but you sound like a moron, between your Nelson fan boy claims and your anti ttg propaganda...lol. Are you a drag racer, or a drag queen?!

Quick Reply: Beating those 1500AWHP URG Gallardos