Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Fender exit exhaust for street car. Fumes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 535 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Reckless
Nothing until you are up on the 2-step at the light and flames are catching the grass on fire
i hit my buddy with some flames as i drove past and he was standing on the side of the road one time. it was quite entertaining to me.
The following users liked this post:
Reckless (03-06-2020)
Old 03-05-2020, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by truckdoug
i had an uncle like you. he got me involved in cars instead of the bullshit that was going down in the bay area in the late 80's early 90's

maybe dont give him a boosted ride, make him build one instead
my uncle got me out of bullshit and into hotroding too. Sometimes i think a drug habit would be cheaper but im sure not as much fun.
My question to all of this is why not have both. Im planning to have a hood exit but with a loud valve that shuts when not under boost and runs through my present 4" to the rear bumper. Quiet cruising then bam hood exit at the flip of a switch or auto open when boost hits one or the other. Besy of both worlds.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:13 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jordoza
My question to all of this is why not have both. Im planning to have a hood exit but with a loud valve that shuts when not under boost and runs through my present 4" to the rear bumper. Quiet cruising then bam hood exit at the flip of a switch or auto open when boost hits one or the other. Besy of both worlds.
How much does all that extra exhaust weigh? There's your answer.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SKINNY69
How much does all that extra exhaust weigh? There's your answer.
Id say guessing high 50 pounds. Probably chalf that. I get the weight thing but honestly mine is a street car first so extra weight for comfort isnt the biggest issue i have.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

my uncle got me out of bullshit and into hotroding too. Sometimes i think a drug habit would be cheaper but im sure not as much fun.
Weight like that is irrelevant on a car you don't track but nice to not have to lug around and weld in, but when you mount a turbo in front of the engine and run the down pipe perpendicular to the chassis off the front it's just plain easier to fender dump it. Where are you going to snake a 3"-4" pipe around to get it back to the body channel they ran the factory exhaust through? If there is no room to go over the K member and the car is to low to go under it...ain't nothing else but the fender. Unless you have a pickup truck sized engine compartment its hard to find down pipe room.

I have a 4" pipe from the turbo exiting in front of the passenger tire, it might be the hardest thing I had to wrestle into the damn truck throughout the entire conversion. It was just heavy as ****, I had to weld it in and fit it all laying on my back with it on jack stands instead of a lift...holding it perfect to get the slope and twist right on a 5' piece of 4" pipe. I cursed more that day then all the rest combined. I don't like the look or anything of a fender dump but hell if I wouldn't use it when/if i build a turbo car instead of a truck. Exhaust work sucks.

Last edited by LetsTurboSomething; 03-05-2020 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Isn't there someone on here that's running a 4 inch dump with loud valve with the stock 4cyl fox exhaust hooked up for non boost running. Saw it somewhere. I'm too cheap to buy a loud valve , spent a few min and made a counterweighted valve - like a rain cap , that is pushed open when any back pressure starts. Works good , nothing to wear out and cheap
Old 03-05-2020, 04:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GMCGreg
Isn't there someone on here that's running a 4 inch dump with loud valve with the stock 4cyl fox exhaust hooked up for non boost running. Saw it somewhere. I'm too cheap to buy a loud valve , spent a few min and made a counterweighted valve - like a rain cap , that is pushed open when any back pressure starts. Works good , nothing to wear out and cheap
Loud valves are expensive, but you can go on amazon and buy direct from the Chinese factory and get the same valves for about $40 a pop...
Old 03-05-2020, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Deal is i already have the 4 inch pipe ran to the rear of the car. Its been my exhaust for a few years. Its a 5th gen camaro so it has the best tunnel ive seen for running huge pipe like that. When i go gt55 turbine. Ill do 5" hood exit but with yes the ebay loud valve to close it off when just cruising and it will run through the normal 4" pipe. I work on semi trucks and got most of the piping used from trucks. It actually isnt all that heavy. Maybe you have alot thicker wall then i run.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:50 PM
TECH Regular

Deal is i already have the 4 inch pipe ran to the rear of the car. Its been my exhaust for a few years. Its a 5th gen camaro so it has the best tunnel ive seen for running huge pipe like that. When i go gt55 turbine. Ill do 5" hood exit but with yes the ebay loud valve to close it off when just cruising and it will run through the normal 4" pipe. I work on semi trucks and got most of the piping used from trucks. It actually isnt all that heavy. Maybe you have alot thicker wall then i run.
Its just aluminized steel **** from Napa, along with the mandrel bends they sell. It's all semi stuff and I have to ask for it at the commercial counter. My main problem was i made it in to few sections so i had to hold up one end with my toes and the other end with my left hand and tack all the brackets and **** on. Getting it not to drift 1" in the wrong direction was just a pain. And I probably made it a lot harder on myself then I needed to. But i only had >1/4" of clearance between the firewall, frame, transmission bell housing, trans cross member, etc...It sits entirely too low anyway after all is said and done because it goes under the cross member since it was the factory one with only one channel on the drivers side. Im cheap.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

thats pretty much the same set up i have. makes highway cruising very pleasant. still run it open dump most of time around town

Quick Reply: Fender exit exhaust for street car. Fumes?