Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharger Blow off valve question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Procharger Blow off valve question?

Is it worth it to get one? I keep hearing two different opinions, one is that there bad for the procharger or they help Thanks guys.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by stanggreg90
Is it worth it to get one? I keep hearing two different opinions, one is that there bad for the procharger or they help Thanks guys.
It is worth it if you need, it. If you dont then no it isnt.

But you dont state your application to even guess as to whether you need it or not.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Prochargers should have a bypass valve not a blow off valve
Old 07-01-2013, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

I have the by pass valve on it but some people run it will a blow of valve, my setup is stock bottom end, 205 AFR heads 62cc, custom cam, d1 with 8lbs of boost, 6 speed car.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
Prochargers should have a bypass valve not a blow off valve
As long as it vents air, it really doesnt matter what you call it.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:51 PM
TECH Regular

Im running a tial q bov with the 2psi blower spring. It stays open untill boost comes on.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Running a Tial Q on mine with a -6 spring.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

It depends on your belt drive capabilities and what kind of torque/hp curve you're looking for.

IF you have a belt/pulley setup that can run more boost without slipping, it's beneficial to add a BOV and get a smaller headunit pulley to make more "potential" boost.

For example, if your setup currently peaks at 8psi @ redline, then you don't get a big gain on boost 'til the top end of your revs. But, if change your set-up's potential boost to say 15psi @ redline (if there's no BOV installed), but DO install a BOV that opens at 8psi, you'll still be keeping your motor safe, but will achieve the 8lbs of boost sooner in your RPM range. Oh, and the sound is fu*#ing awesome, too!
Essentially, you'll have the bypass to prevent residual boost buildup, and the BOV as a max-level failsafe.

WARNING: IF the BOV ever fails and doesn't release at the correct pressure, you risk detonation and/or a blown engine! So, keep everything very clean, and always a sharp eye on your Boost and A/F Gauges!

Last edited by ss2000silverbullet; 07-03-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ss2000silverbullet
It depends on your belt drive capabilities and what kind of torque/hp curve you're looking for.

IF you have a belt/pulley setup that can run more boost without slipping, it's beneficial to add a BOV and get a smaller headunit pulley to make more "potential" boost.

For example, if your setup currently peaks at 8psi @ redline, then you don't get a big gain on boost 'til the top end of your revs. But, if change your set-up's potential boost to say 15psi @ redline (if there's no BOV installed), but DO install a BOV that opens at 8psi, you'll still be keeping your motor safe, but will achieve the 8lbs of boost sooner in your RPM range. Oh, and the sound is fu*#ing awesome, too!
Essentially, you'll have the bypass to prevent residual boost buildup, and the BOV as a max-level failsafe.

WARNING: IF the BOV ever fails and doesn't release at the correct pressure, you risk detonation and/or a blown engine! So, keep everything very clean, and always a sharp eye on your Boost and A/F Gauges!
Wow that is some really bad info right there.

I think you are confusing how a wastegated Supercharged setups works and not a blow or valve or by pass valve works
Old 07-03-2013, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use what you want ... u can recirculate it with a bypass valve or just vent it to the atmosphere with a BOV... they perform the same basic function, to release pressure built up in the charge piping to prevent compressor surge.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Ummm dude you are thinking of a wastegate not a blow off valve. They are two completely different things.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

My apologies....How 'bout a "Boost Limiting Valve". BLV, not BOV.
You're right, it's a substitute for a wastegate/boost controller....but looks like a glorified blowoff valve to me.

Here's a link so y'all don't think I'm completely stupid or insane!

http://www.928motorsports.com/parts/...mitervalve.php

Last edited by ss2000silverbullet; 07-04-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive got to say ive never seen that before.... i think id still trust a wastegate/boost controller on a supercharged setup though over that.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:48 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I'd keep it set up just the way you have it. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 11-05-2014, 09:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

digging an old thread.

so if I have this correct- the BOV for a pro charger should be wide open at idle and manifold vaccum and close when manifold pressure get near atmospheric. correct?

so you run a light spring so that the BOV is 'sucked' open during idle and low load but the spring is strong enough to close as soon as manifold pressure approaches ambient.

and from above it looks like on a 50mm BOV a 2-6psi spring is adequate?

I'm installing a P1SC on a 5.7 and I'd like to run blowoff instead of a bypass. Just trying to figure out the ins and outs.

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2014, 10:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cajundragger
digging an old thread.

so if I have this correct- the BOV for a pro charger should be wide open at idle and manifold vaccum and close when manifold pressure get near atmospheric. correct?

so you run a light spring so that the BOV is 'sucked' open during idle and low load but the spring is strong enough to close as soon as manifold pressure approaches ambient.

and from above it looks like on a 50mm BOV a 2-6psi spring is adequate?

I'm installing a P1SC on a 5.7 and I'd like to run blowoff instead of a bypass. Just trying to figure out the ins and outs.

Thanks!
The Procharger Bypass is wide open while the engine is in vacuum... Idle, part throttle ect. The Bypass closes when your vacuum system is at ambient pressure or possitive pressure.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

not the info I am looking for- albeit the bypass has to close sometime BEFORE positive gauge pressure is reached or it wouldn't close at all.

I understand how the bypass works.

I am curious about blowoff valves and setting them up.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:53 PM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This thread should be deleted....lol
Old 11-06-2014, 08:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah maybe I should have bumped a 'better' one.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Default Hey

I have the by pass valve on it but some people run it will a blow of valve, my setup is stock bottom end, 205 AFR heads 62cc, custom cam, d1 with 8lbs of boost, 6 speed car.

So what was the end result of this setup. Andvhas your bottem end been solid?

Quick Reply: Procharger Blow off valve question?