Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Water box size and water pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Water box size and water pump

What is the recommended water box size for an A2W intercooler to support 800rwhp on the street?

What gpm size pump should be used?

Planned to get everything from frozenboost
Old 07-15-2013, 11:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am running a 1000gph bilge pump with a 10 gallon reservoir. this is way overkill on the size of the reservoir, but it is in a truck so I had the room. also I can add/take out water to help traction based on track conditions
Old 07-15-2013, 12:53 PM
Teching In

I too am ordering frozenboost kit tomorrow or Wednesday and I was going to order their 1,200 hp a2w kit, switching ic design though to work with my setup better (keeping large flow design, just different input locations). Their reservoirs only hold I think like 2.3 or 2.6 gallons in reservoir itself. I would think for street car this would be perfectly ok as long as good heat sink.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The key to the Frozen Boost and other chineese A2W intercoolers is changing the water inlet and outlet size to 1" and running a good pump (rule 3700) then you can move enough water through the core to make them work. The small inlet and outlet restrict the water flow so much it affects the efficiency of the core.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I am running dual frozen boost intercoolers on my setup with a Dads custom water tank, and a2w trans cooler. I think my tank is about ten gallons , and is using a big rule pump. For the water lines we used 1inch ID hose. We did leave the factory in and out sizes on the intercoolers, I guess we will see how it works.

Here is build thread link with a few of pics of the intercooler setup

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...p-build-5.html
Old 07-15-2013, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 68 SS
The key to the Frozen Boost and other chineese A2W intercoolers is changing the water inlet and outlet size to 1" and running a good pump (rule 3700) then you can move enough water through the core to make them work. The small inlet and outlet restrict the water flow so much it affects the efficiency of the core.
How would I change the inlet/outlet sizes on the intercooler?

Who is a good supplier of 'rule' pumps?

Originally Posted by transam69230
I am running dual frozen boost intercoolers on my setup with a Dads custom water tank, and a2w trans cooler. I think my tank is about ten gallons , and is using a big rule pump. For the water lines we used 1inch ID hose. We did leave the factory in and out sizes on the intercoolers, I guess we will see how it works.

Here is build thread link with a few of pics of the intercooler setup

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...p-build-5.html
I have been following your build and it is sick. I will watch to see how the intercoolers perform.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just plugged the ports that are in the cooler with brass plugs, then took a hole saw and carefully cut two new holes and welded in two new 1" alum bungs I bought at Jegs. My cooler is in the back seat and it is the largest one, it has a divider inside the cooler to direct the water through the cores, you have to be careful when placing the new holes.

I run a 5 gallon water tank mounted in the trunk next to my fuel cell.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.frozenboost.com/product_i...1f16963bff1f62

this was the cooler I was looking into and I have plenty of space in the hatch (C4 vette) to have a box.

Would a 5 gallon cell be enough? 10 gallons + .5 in line + 1 gal in heat exchanger + 2 gal in intercooler =13.5 x 8.33lbs = 112.5 lbs. If I could run a 5 gallon cell that knocks it down to 71lbs.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just plugged the ports that are in the cooler with brass plugs, then took a hole saw and carefully cut two new holes and welded in two new 1" alum bungs I bought at Jegs. My cooler is in the back seat and it is the largest one, it has a divider inside the cooler to direct the water through the cores, you have to be careful when placing the new holes.

Any pics of the process? Was it not feasible to drill out the existing holes?
Old 07-15-2013, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I will snap a few pics tonight for ya.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my ebay a2w came with 1" npt ports. I found this out when I bought 3/4" fittings for it and had to take them back. I am running 5/8" ID line on mine and no issues so far. but have room to upgrade if needed

Quick Reply: Water box size and water pump