Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Twin Turbo LSX Datsun 280Z

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 02:38 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
I would find it hard to believe your dump pipes are the cause of actual hot oil. If they are in close proximity to the sensor, perhaps the radiant heat is causing some false readings. Where is the oil temp sensor fitted ? At low load, cruise etc etc oil temp should pretty much mirror coolant temp. Only when you start loading things up should oil temp rise above coolant temp. That can be used as a guide to see if either sensor is giving sensible readings. And where is the oil pressure sensor fitted ? again it's always best to remote mount these as it isolates them from engine vibration. Plus if it moves it away from a hot location, that's always a good thing too.
Well wrapping it just resulted in a 20* drop so I'll have to disagree there. The C5 has the oil temp where my feed is and that is very close to the exhuast. I'm not super happy with where it is but I doubt it's changing the temp by 20*+ There is a 3 finger gap and now that pipe is wrapped. Also I've read that oil temp can be 25* higher than coolant. When I'm cruising 65* out 65mph (today) the coolant temp was around 190/195. Also this is a TT car so you have to take in mind the added friction sources (turbos) I don't think 215/220 is high after a mix of crushing/WOT runs?

Name:  FFDD665B-9F79-4C46-B71F-DEDA311B5EBD_zpsgyxtkmkg.png
Views: 212
Size:  446.9 KB Name:  D61E9708-19DC-4F30-9CF2-CE823C372B64_zpsbnpvqr7j.png
Views: 199
Size:  483.2 KB

Last edited by oscs; 04-04-2015 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Exactly my point, you could be getting a false reading due to heat soak into the sensor from the exhaust, as opposed to actual oil temp.

and oil temp under load can and will rise above coolant temp.

At cruise, low loads oil temp should almost track coolant temp to within a very small margin. There is zero reason for oil temp to be higher under these circumstances.

At low loads oil temp absolutely will not be 25deg higher than coolant temp unless there is a major problem.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:57 PM
8 Second Club

Exactly my point, you could be getting a false reading due to heat soak into the sensor from the exhaust, as opposed to actual oil temp. and oil temp under load can and will rise above coolant temp. At cruise, low loads oil temp should almost track coolant temp to within a very small margin. There is zero reason for oil temp to be higher under these circumstances. At low loads oil temp absolutely will not be 25deg higher than coolant temp unless there is a major problem.
I understand. I just don't think a 2.5" air gap next to a wrapped pipe is going to result in a 30* increase in temps. I could be wrong though. I can try and relocate the sensor to just before a turbo and see what it says.

On a side note, I could just use a heat gun to check the oil pan temp close to the sensor. I'd imagine that would give me a 5*+\- reading.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:15 PM
9 Second Club

Where the high temps you seen when driving, when stationary, other ?

I'd think when driving airflow around the area should mean your air gap is quite acceptable, so I'm going to guess the high temps you seen where with engine running and car moving very slowly or stopped ? Maybe queuing, or just after a pass or something ?

Are you logging temp as well ? again always handy if you can, sensors are cheap and it's only 2 wires.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:26 PM
8 Second Club

The most recent 215/220 was after some highway pulls/traffic lights and crushing. It settled around 215 or so with coolant temp around 195. Right now though I am sitting here idling with 43psi oil pressure/200 degree coolant temps and about 206 oil temp. This was after crushing around the neighborhood streets with a few small pulls.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:27 PM
8 Second Club

While we are at it. What are some common causes of increased oil temps? sudden or subtle
Old 04-04-2015, 03:48 PM
9 Second Club

Other variable would be if you're using a different means of temp measurement...ie different sensor/wiring/gauge variations could simply be down to that too.

Knowing which one would be deemed accurate or not

Hence why it would be good to log both on the ecu, and use same type/brand of sensor for both.

When you say sudden, over what time scale ? seconds or hours/days ?

If seconds that would shout wiring/sensor issue, most fluid temp sensors dont have particularly fast response times so a sudden change say 20-30deg over a couple of seconds is just not realistic.

Over days though....good question. To a degree, weather shouldnt really play too much of a part as the engine itself via coolant regulation also regulates oil temp, hence why under light loads they will track each other. Unless it is very large weather/temperature changes, then it may play a part. Just cant see it being huge though as the engine itself is a huge heater even if the oil wanted to run cooler.

Higher pressures, higher engine loads, hot turbos etc would then all try and push the oil temp higher with the engine/coolant then extracting some heat back from the oil ( as well as oil in pan receiving some cooling via the airflow around the pan although that wouldnt be great )

I'm sure oil degradation over time will also have a role in oil temps seen, just not sure how much and it would probably take a very long time. Even oil brand and viscosity can affect oil temperatures. But that wouldnt be sudden.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:53 PM
8 Second Club

What about a thrust bearing going bad? Would that drop oil pressure?
Old 04-05-2015, 12:58 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by oscs
What about a thrust bearing going bad? Would that drop oil pressure?
That only really controls fore/aft movement on the crank. So no that on it's own wouldnt affect oil pressure

Is there a lot of crank endfloat ?

I guess if they were really bad, it could cause a very slight drop in pressure, but the thrust is basically fed via oil dumped from the centre main bearing. It isnt fed from a pressurised source as such
Old 04-05-2015, 01:02 PM
8 Second Club

That only really controls fore/aft movement on the crank. So no that on it's own wouldnt affect oil pressure Is there a lot of crank endfloat ? I guess if they were really bad, it could cause a very slight drop in pressure, but the thrust is basically fed via oil dumped from the centre main bearing. It isnt fed from a pressurised source as such
Well that could be a possible culprit for bearing material then if that is in fact what it is. I would say half of this said material was magnetic.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:18 PM
9 Second Club

Well that could be a possible culprit for bearing material then if that is in fact what it is. I would say half of this said material was magnetic.
Engine bearings have steel backings, but the actual material on the front are not magnetic, so these would need to wear substantially before any magnetic material would be released. The top material is usually some sort of lead copper alloy, hence the goldy colours you'd typically see if there is metal in the oil.

Obviously crank, cam, lifters, rockers, rings etc etc are all magnetic though

Have to say though....I pulled mine apart recently as oil pressure had been bad all year and couldnt be bothered looking at it, just ran it anyway. I'd changed oil a couple of times because of it towards the end to inspect filter etc but mine didnt really show much material.
When I got it apart though...some of the main bearings were completely fucked lol Worst I'd ever seen

Was really surprised at how little debris there had been in the oil during a change, but the Autokraft pan actually seemed to trap a lot of it in the pan as there was a good bit in it when I stripped it for cleaning.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:31 PM
8 Second Club

Yeah I'm not sure what to think. I just cut open another filter after 30miles of mixed driving and there is still some flake but not nearly as much as before. It is more finely ground at this point.

I'm probably just going to rip the motor out and see what I find. I have to pull the trans anyways so why not.

Last edited by oscs; 04-05-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:11 PM
8 Second Club

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

Meh. Looks like a little bearing material. When you push the stock crank hard it will work the middle 3 mains over time

How full of flakes where the pleets of the filter?

I always had some bearing material.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hot idle pressure is about 40. Crushing pressure is 65.. Since wrapping the dump my oil temps are back down to 215-220 after some hard pulls @7lbs. Everything seems fine but I'm still going to pop the caps off And check for wear while the trans is out. The more I think about it the more I don't know what my hot idle pressure was before. I went back through some old threads and I was seeing 30-40 at some point. Not to mention that was when it was colder outside..

I think for now I will keep driving the car and closely monitor the oil pressure and temps. When it comes time to swap transmissions I will cut the filter open and drop the pan for further inspection.

Also I have since setup the low oil pressure safety on my ECU to prevent further issues.
Been down this road man. If you see a drop in oil pressure you hurt a bearing. If you keep driving on it, it will hurt everything else. Would be best to park it and fix the issue before it runs metal through everything or worse.

My oil temps on cruise are 210ish btw. When I hurt a bearing they went up to 220-230 and pressure dropped 15-20 psi at idle.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my buddies had the same issue but it was on a factory motor, procharged. Rise in oil temp, drop on pressure. He drove it and destroyed bottom end in about 600 miles. He never looked to see what really happened though to cause the failure, just chalked it up as a loss.

I really hate to read this and I hope it's not the case. I know the time/money invested is substantial. I really hope the motor isn't hurt. It would be better to know now as down the road though.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:06 PM
8 Second Club

As much as I want to just say **** it and go with it, it's to easy to just fix it. Like I said the trans is coming out next week and the whole front of the car basically un bolts so it isn't **** to rip the motor out and see what happened. What I'll probably do this week is just drop the pan and pull the mains and rod caps and just look. I'll likely find as bearing starting to go. Maybe it's just an easy fix, maybe I have to pull the motor. In the end no big deal it's just bearings.

My biggest issue right now is trying not to **** my wife off by being in the garage all day.. I'll get it sorted out soon though and it's back to the testing grounds.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:58 PM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've seen worse in filter with a healthy motor. Couple of things to think about:
1. It's only the second change, it's near impossible to get everything 100% clean on a new build.
2. If it is making good oil pressure.........good
3. Check the thrust of the crank. You can do this with a dial indicator on a magnetic base and a pry bar. Ask your engine builder what it was when he put it together and compare numbers. If he doesn't know, and it is below .008".........your good.
4. If the engine is still sounding healthy and running healthy keep running it and just keep an eye on everything

You can use this first experience cutting filters to compare to future builds.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:30 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blown06
I've seen worse in filter with a healthy motor. Couple of things to think about: 1. It's only the second change, it's near impossible to get everything 100% clean on a new build. 2. If it is making good oil pressure.........good 3. Check the thrust of the crank. You can do this with a dial indicator on a magnetic base and a pry bar. Ask your engine builder what it was when he put it together and compare numbers. If he doesn't know, and it is below .008".........your good. 4. If the engine is still sounding healthy and running healthy keep running it and just keep an eye on everything You can use this first experience cutting filters to compare to future builds.
Understood but when is bearing material ever excepted in oil.. New motor or not.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown06
I've seen worse in filter with a healthy motor. Couple of things to think about:
1. It's only the second change, it's near impossible to get everything 100% clean on a new build.
2. If it is making good oil pressure.........good
3. Check the thrust of the crank. You can do this with a dial indicator on a magnetic base and a pry bar. Ask your engine builder what it was when he put it together and compare numbers. If he doesn't know, and it is below .008".........your good.
4. If the engine is still sounding healthy and running healthy keep running it and just keep an eye on everything

You can use this first experience cutting filters to compare to future builds.
He said he saw a drop in oil pressure over a short time. This is pretty much NEVER considered normal or ok to continue running without figuring out. Thats a recipe for a destroyed motor.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:53 PM
8 Second Club

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

Stock crank... If you had it up on kill for some hits it will work the bearings /story

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo LSX Datsun 280Z