Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Twin Turbo LSX Datsun 280Z

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I definitely need to make it to TX2k again when I have my Datsun finished.

Did you run the F150/Explorer axles parts at all or go right to the DSS ones with Will's rear swap?
Old 02-03-2016, 08:25 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bramagedained
I definitely need to make it to TX2k again when I have my Datsun finished.

Did you run the F150/Explorer axles parts at all or go right to the DSS ones with Will's rear swap?
I have the F-150 CV/stub axle. I took it to a heat treater I do business with to "beef it up" and it was already some thing like 60rw.. The cup was heat treated and the axle was almost 1.5" in OD. The thing is monstrous and taking a beating so far.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:31 PM
Teching In

That's good to hear.

I'm really interested to see how the whole swap holds up. You'll have a full season on the parts before mine ever makes real power.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:09 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by bramagedained
That's good to hear.

I'm really interested to see how the whole swap holds up. You'll have a full season on the parts before mine ever makes real power.
Yeah I will be beating it up all year. So far so good.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:03 PM
8 Second Club

I'll just leave this hereTwin Turbo LSX Datsun 280Z-photo323.jpg
Old 02-04-2016, 05:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

That can be an effective charge cooler too.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:43 PM
8 Second Club

Received 746 Likes on 547 Posts

Why do people think that? Id think adding a shyt ton of oxygen to the CC. AKA heat... makes things hotter. My plugs always read hotter with nitrous, even the tiny 50-60 shot. Because it comes out of the bottle cold doesn't mean it's cools combustion any.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:22 PM
8 Second Club

Buddy had a plate kit lying around so I figure I'd hook it up just in case
Old 02-05-2016, 03:14 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Why do people think that? Id think adding a shyt ton of oxygen to the CC. AKA heat... makes things hotter. My plugs always read hotter with nitrous, even the tiny 50-60 shot. Because it comes out of the bottle cold doesn't mean it's cools combustion any.
Who said it cools combustion ?
Old 02-05-2016, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Who said it cools combustion ?
Isn't it where it all matters though?

I'd take a 400 deg. IAT for a 1400 EGT vs a 150 IAT for a 1700 EGT anyday. I know its a ridiculous example, but just illustrating my thoughts.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:04 PM
9 Second Club

Nobody claimed it cooled combustion, so it is irrelevant. Cooler charge temps on the other hand do matter.

Chamber temps will largely be dictated by fuel used and tuning.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:54 PM
8 Second Club

Nobody claimed it cooled combustion, so it is irrelevant. Cooler charge temps on the other hand do matter.

Chamber temps will largely be dictated by fuel used and tuning.
I don't buy that. You can only compensate for elevated CC temp. so much with enriched fueling.

The purpose of cooler charge temps is to lower the CC temp. So nitrous may cool the air charge a tad on its way to the CC, but once it gets there it’s going to elevate the combustion temps well past what they would have been without nitrous. If you’re octane limited in the first place and are trying to get away from that with cooler charge temps, nitrous will make the engine more prone to detonation, not less.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Nitrous comes out of the nozzle at -56 degrees which cools the incoming charge of fuel and air making a much denser mixture.. In simple terms it means you can pack more fuel and air and still keep a workable A/F ratio. More Fuel with more O2 means more power. The byproduct of this is more heat at the end of the cycle.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:43 PM
9 Second Club

I don't buy that. You can only compensate for elevated CC temp. so much with enriched fueling.

The purpose of cooler charge temps is to lower the CC temp. So nitrous may cool the air charge a tad on its way to the CC, but once it gets there it’s going to elevate the combustion temps well past what they would have been without nitrous. If you’re octane limited in the first place and are trying to get away from that with cooler charge temps, nitrous will make the engine more prone to detonation, not less.
And once again, who said nitrous will cool combustion ?

Nobody that I know of. The purpose of cooler charge temps is simply cooler charge temps which in turn can help reduce chances of pre-ignition prior to spark ignition.
Once combustion has actually taken place, charge temp will have had very little impact on this

If the same fuel is used and you add nitrous, then of course there is a chance that chamber temps will be higher, but again that's largely down to fuel used. No different than chamber or EGT temps varying very little whether you use 10psi or 30psi.

Some fuels burn cooler, some hotter...if you really want cold chamber temps use water injection. You could even cool it so much as to extinguish the flame lol
Old 02-05-2016, 03:55 PM
8 Second Club

Well i figured since this is an E85 car and I will have a nice cold IAT from the A2W some notorious would fit well into the equation.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:10 PM
8 Second Club

And once again, who said nitrous will cool combustion ?

Nobody that I know of. The purpose of cooler charge temps is simply cooler charge temps which in turn can help reduce chances of pre-ignition prior to spark ignition.
Once combustion has actually taken place, charge temp will have had very little impact on this

If the same fuel is used and you add nitrous, then of course there is a chance that chamber temps will be higher, but again that's largely down to fuel used. No different than chamber or EGT temps varying very little whether you use 10psi or 30psi.

Some fuels burn cooler, some hotter...if you really want cold chamber temps use water injection. You could even cool it so much as to extinguish the flame lol
Let’s not dance around 3 other topics. What is the point of an “effective charge cooler” if it sky rockets the CC temps/pressures? Combustion temps are what matter, they are what causes pre-ignition/detonation. Regardless of the charge temp drop the end resulting CC temp will be higher using an accelerant. Even with the aid of higher octane fuel injected with the nitrous, the overall CC temps/pressures will be higher. My point is, It’s nothing like an IC and shouldn’t be compared to or used in place of IC.

Originally Posted by oscs
Well i figured since this is an E85 car and I will have a nice cold IAT from the A2W some notorious would fit well into the equation.
I love the stuff. 100 shot right around you’re NA stall point for 300-500 RPM will light things off in a hurry.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:24 PM
9 Second Club

Show some evidence that nitrous skyrockets combustion temps ?

Obviously cylinder pressures will rise....the engine will make more power. That's given for any power increases

Combustion temps do not cause pre-ignition. Pre-igniton only occurs prior to any spark ignition and therefore combustion. However chamber temps prior to combustion may cause pre-ignition....which is less likely with nitrous because of that cooling effect. Unless of course too much is used in which case compression alone could cause the mixture to pre-ignite which is a slightly different scenario

Temperatures can play a role with detonation post spark ignition...but again the cooling effect of nitrous would help in that respect, however the huge increase in oxygen content may have a negative effect.

And as much as nobody said it cooled combustion temps, who said nitrous was a replacement for an intercooler ?

I dont see anyone saying that either. But it is 100% fact nitrous will help cool the inlet charge.

And another thing is for sure, it will give an ability to make more power.

Last edited by stevieturbo; 02-05-2016 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:24 PM
8 Second Club

Let’s not dance around 3 other topics. What is the point of an “effective charge cooler” if it sky rockets the CC temps/pressures? Combustion temps are what matter, they are what causes pre-ignition/detonation. Regardless of the charge temp drop the end resulting CC temp will be higher using an accelerant. Even with the aid of higher octane fuel injected with the nitrous, the overall CC temps/pressures will be higher. My point is, It’s nothing like an IC and shouldn’t be compared to or used in place of IC.I love the stuff. 100 shot right around you’re NA stall point for 300-500 RPM will light things off in a hurry.
I planned on using it on the big end for that just incase.. I don't think I'll have a hard time lighting the turbos off but we will see.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

Just finished all 66 pages, awesome info and amazing car! Hopefully that IRS and stock crank hold together with the N20 added!
Old 02-09-2016, 07:11 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blu06R1
Just finished all 66 pages, awesome info and amazing car! Hopefully that IRS and stock crank hold together with the N20 added!
Thanks. IRS I don't doubt but the stock crank.. We will see.

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo LSX Datsun 280Z