Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Snowball of a build - Turbo LSx Rx7

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 08:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well progress has been slow. Been working on purchasing a house. However, i have had some time to tinker with the RX7. I relocated the brake line that was running down the passanger side fender inside the engine compartment. Now, it goes into the fender under the aluminum shield that i made and runs along the inside. I was worried about the heat from the turbo getting the brake fluid to hot since it was almost touching.

I also opened up the area inside the front bumper/passenger side fender for the air filter. The Air intake off the turbo will elbow down into the fender. Inside there i cut and removed portions of the factory brake duct. Now, the opening in the front bumper that was supposed to be for brake cooling will now be directly feeding the air inlet to the turbo. The colder air in the better, and i cant imagine pulling straight from a hot engine bay would help the situation any.

Finally, I am contemplating a transmission change. A member on here messaged me saying they have a full Rossler Powerglide setup that they are willing to sell. I am still unsure if this is the direction i will be going, however, it does seem as its a really good option that i am heavily considering.

Last edited by Phish806; 02-13-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:50 AM
Launching!

I finally found some time out in the garage. I started on some Vac lines and oil lines and also got my cold side piping intsalled. First time it has been fully installed with all the correct pieces. I was waiting on getting my BOV welded up but now that thats finally done i was able to move forward

I cut the ports off of the LS3 intake. Then i drilled and tapped them to accept a NPT to AN fitting. I figured it would be a cleaner look then just the normal slip on rubber hose. The passanger side i will use to feed my selenoids for the boost controller. The driver side is hooked up to the BOV as you can see.

I also mocked up soem coolant lines. I am short one elbow from getting it completed. I will have to get that and get them along with the oil drain from the turbo installed for the final time. Here are a couple pics of the progress and how it sits now.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:23 PM
Launching!

I worked a little on the hold down for the radiator. Its also a cover for the front end to clean up the car and hide all of the wiring along with the intercooler, overflow, radiation, trans cooler, etc. It still needs to get painted but you get the idea

Old 02-17-2014, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looking good man!
Old 02-19-2014, 08:34 AM
Launching!

And black....

Old 02-19-2014, 09:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

looks really nice and clean!!
Old 02-19-2014, 09:46 AM
8 Second Club

Received 724 Likes on 531 Posts

I like it!

What did you do for coils/wires on the Pass. side?
Old 02-19-2014, 10:44 AM
Launching!

Coils and wires are still up in the air at the moment. You can see from the driver side the bracket that i had originally made for both sides. However i am not a fan of how they have turned out. I will need to figure out a different way to mount them. not sure if that means making a different bracket, or if that means mounting them inside on the firewall and running the wires out though a groumeted hole. I am up for some ideas at this point in the game though. - I would have just stuck with the stock brackets, however i was not thinking when i welded on the bungs for the oil catch can lines. Oh well, live and learn i suppose.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

take a look at zacks rx7. Zbrown on norotors and i forgot what his name is on here i think he did the inside the firewall way. Oh and digitalsolo on norotors as well has his relocated also

EDIT: found zacks name on here rotary1307cc
Old 02-19-2014, 12:58 PM
Launching!

Hopefully i can get it figured out on my own. I am trying to retain the heater core in the car. Hook it back up this summer/fall so i can keep some heat in it. However i am hoping to find room with it in there. I will most likely pull out the condensing unit for the air conditioning though. I have yet to get under the dash and give it a good look though as far as room goes and how things would need to be mounted and ran. I think coils inside the cabin would clean up the look in the bay a ton. We shall see if thats the route i go with.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:41 PM
Launching!

I finally got under the car and made a little progress this past week. I go the exhaust mocked up and finally welded so now its complete. It still needs a bung for the wideband but i am going to wait to install it to make sure the 02 sensor will clear the new transmission.

Exhaust:

Speaking of new transmission. I finally sold the stock TH350 along with the converter and shifter. I picked up a Rossler built Powerglide, PTC converter, and a hurst shifter. Came with a few other little things as well. Hopefully that will go int he car soon.

Another purchase that i made was a set of Billet Specialties Black Street Lite wheels. They should dress it up a bit and make it look a little presentable.

Hopefully i will be able to find some more time to get this thing wrapped up. We will see what this month holds.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Double Post....
Old 03-05-2014, 01:17 PM
Launching!

Your license plate had me dying. lol hahahaha
Old 03-06-2014, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That exhaust looks like a royal bitch to put on. Mine was basically like that last year and I'm putting a V band on both tailpipe sections to make it easier to remove.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:01 PM
Launching!

Its not really to hard to get it installed. you will have to come over and have a look see sometime. It does take a guy and a jack though. Could it be easier, yes.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phish806
Its not really to hard to get it installed. you will have to come over and have a look see sometime. It does take a guy and a jack though. Could it be easier, yes.
I need to do that. Trying to get my pile in LESS pieces is taking some time.....
Old 03-07-2014, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looking good man!

Do you have any pics of that exhaust installed? 3.5" dp?

We need some pics of those wheels on the car!
Old 03-09-2014, 08:35 AM
Launching!

Yeah, thats a 3.5" downpipe. I will try and snap a few pics of the exhaust installed. its been hard to get time to go out and work on the car lately though.

the wheels i hope to get on the car soon. I actually have to downgrade my brakes in the front to a stock mazda single piston setup for some extra clearance. Right now i need to run a spacer int he front to clear the brake caliper. That spacer causes the wheels to sit out way to far. However, the new calipers are on their way. I will get them painted and installed then throw the new wheels on. She should clean up nicely when i am done.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

Nice work on the build. If I can make a suggestion. Dump those flowmaster mufflers. They sound great, no doubt about it, but from a performance stand point, they are not a very good performing muffler. I would suggest a switch to something straight through. If your goal is sound, then I agree, they sound the best, but you will be leaving a lot on the table. No flaming, just an educated suggestion. Keep up the great work.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:04 AM
Launching!

I am totally open for ideas and critique. I believe that's the point of a build thread - to see others ideas and opinion. Maybe someone will suggest something that i have not thought of.

That being said, I believe the mufflers are Thrush mufflers. They were what came on the original swapped car that i bought. I will have to look into it and confirm thats what they are though.

Honestly i have not given much thout to the muffler setup on the car. Something i have overlooked for power gains.

Quick Reply: Snowball of a build - Turbo LSx Rx7