Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Snowball of a build - Turbo LSx Rx7

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 10:00 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, i had it sitting there to be painted... then didn't paint it. However, i have the time to do it so i am sure it will happen eventually before it goes into the car. I have tons of other projects with the car to keep me occupied for awhile. I get the trans coolers complete and all the wiring done i will be a happy camper. Dreading the boost controller wiring/hook up.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:56 PM
Launching!

I pulled the trigger and ordered up my entire fuel system. So now its on the way along with the driveshaft. I believe that is all of the major components left in the build. Hopefully all parts arrive so i can get it up and running within a month.

I did decide to get the gauges mounted up. I removed the radio, and used the location there for the gauges. I believe it came out well. I have them all mounted and the wiring behind the gauges complete. I need to finish the wiring to the sensors and get the line for the boost gauge into the car as well. Progress....

Old 04-16-2014, 05:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too bad they aren't all as pretty as the boost gauge!!
Old 04-16-2014, 06:29 AM
Launching!

Yeah i thought the mix match would bother me more then it does. One day, i hope to have them all gone except the boost and AFR gauges. But until i can figure out something a little different, this is how it shall sit.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:22 PM
Launching!

Nothing exciting with this update. - got the gauges finally wired up and installed for the last time, I got the neutral safety switch on the shifter wired in as well so now that will be legal when at the track, and i also got started on the boost controller. I should have the boost controller wired in tomorrow and hopefully some of the fuel components will arrive tomorrow as well. Then i can get a start on laying some other things out and installing a few fuel related things
Old 04-19-2014, 03:20 AM
Teching In

Like the build, in for more.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:50 AM
Launching!

The boost controller is finally installed. It was not horrible to do but its a pretty tight fit down where the lines hook to the wastegate. All in all it turned out well. Now i just hope that it all works and i don't have any issues. it will be horrible to get it.

I was convinced to wait on the coil relocation. I believe i will just fab up a couple quick brackets that will still mount the coils to the valve covers. It should save some time to get this thing moving and on the road.

I never got my fuel stuff Sat. Like i expected. My fingers are crossed that it will show up today and i can get going on that.

All in all progress is still being made and the nice weather is really making me want to get it done and on the street. I cant wait just to get it out and drive it - maybe hit a show/meet or two.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:45 AM
Launching!

Started working a bit on the fuel system. I mounted the FPR on the firewall, and planned out a few things as far as routing goes. I then realized that i forgot to order the parts to make my rails accept -8 for the in/out and the crossover. So i placed an order for the parts i needed there. This should wrap up the parts i need.

I started throwing the hotside back on the car. I had it removed to route the boost controller wiring and lines. However, i need to get a set of plug wires to install on the plugs before i get the downpipe installed. I cant get to the plugs while the DP is in place. So, its slowly coming together, its just quite the nest of parts that need to go in in a certain order. It kinda reminds me of a game of tetris. Slowly but surely it will be together. I need to get some run time and dyno time on this turd. Have a couple track events and shows coming up that i am wanting to hit.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:28 AM
8 Second Club

Received 725 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Phish806
Started working a bit on the fuel system. I mounted the FPR on the firewall, and planned out a few things as far as routing goes. I then realized that i forgot to order the parts to make my rails accept -8 for the in/out and the crossover. So i placed an order for the parts i needed there. This should wrap up the parts i need.

I started throwing the hotside back on the car. I had it removed to route the boost controller wiring and lines. However, i need to get a set of plug wires to install on the plugs before i get the downpipe installed. I cant get to the plugs while the DP is in place. So, its slowly coming together, its just quite the nest of parts that need to go in in a certain order. It kinda reminds me of a game of tetris. Slowly but surely it will be together. I need to get some run time and dyno time on this turd. Have a couple track events and shows coming up that i am wanting to hit.
Just FYI most track tech inspections won’t pass you with the FPR mounted to the firewall.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:35 AM
Launching!

Oh really? I have never heard of that before. Whats the actual rules on this? It woudl still be pretty simple to move if needed. I am pretty sure i can sneak by at the local tracks since tech is pretty lax there. However, the no cage thing will get me booted for sure if i can get though tech in the first place
Old 04-22-2014, 10:47 AM
Launching!

I looked up the actual rule. It states not only can it not be mounted to the firewall, but it can not be within six inches of the firewall. Yeah, thats not going to happen. If i dont pass i dont pass. But by those rules, you could not even hang it off the back of the rail, to close to the firewall. My local track just went from NHRA to IHRA standards anyway. Maybe they are a little more lax on the tech inspections.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:05 PM
8 Second Club

I had mine on the firewall as well and was flagged for it. Ended up moving it to the strut bolt.
Attached Thumbnails Snowball of a build - Turbo LSx Rx7-engbayfinal.jpg  
Old 04-22-2014, 01:57 PM
Launching!

I suppose i can take a second look at it. Considering now would be the time to move it - before i get all the lines plumbed to it. I will see what i can do. Thanks for the heads up. Appreciate it.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:51 PM
Launching!

I got the FPR moved tonight. I am still waiting on some fittings to get it all plumbed. Hopefully this will make the NHRA happy :-)

I also figured something out with plug wires. The downpipe was to close to use the stock straight boot wires. I removed the boot, shortened them, and then added a 90 boot to them. All of them came out well, the last one is WAY close to the downpipe though. Its pretty much touching the DP but hopefully the heat wrap on the DP keeps it from melting. I also put a heat sleeve over the plug wire since i had it apart. Hopefully it all works well and does not get all melty on me.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by Phish806
I got the FPR moved tonight. I am still waiting on some fittings to get it all plumbed. Hopefully this will make the NHRA happy :-)

[URL=http://s232.photobucket.com/user/Phish806/media/Mobile%20Uploads/0422141824_zpspyzqsa79.jpg.html]....
I had my FPR mounted there on my FC.

Andrew
Old 04-25-2014, 07:59 PM
Launching!

Well i had a couple parts show up today. First part was the trans fluid. there is still alot in the trans, so i ordered enough just to top it off.

Second item to show up was a big surprise. I was not expecting it anytime soon. Plan is is to install it tomorrow along with the rear subframe. Driveshaft shop did well on it thats for sure. I beleive everything checks out for fitment:

Last but not least, i needed something new to mount the throttle cable on. I fabbed this up quick like. I think it looks really well and does the trick quite nicely:

After paint and Install:

I also found out my fuel injectors will not be here until the middle of next week. It was not ideal for what i was planning but when they arrive they arrive i guess. Nothing i can do about it now. Untill then i well get the driveline buttoned up along with getting the second pump installed and some of the lines ran. I see this thing firing up in the near future. lets hope everything is smooth sailing
Old 04-25-2014, 09:15 PM

Great build. I was looking for an FC Turbo II a few years back.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:43 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the compliment. Ihave really grown to like the looks of the FC.

I spent quite a while in the garage today working on the car with a friend of mine. First things first. We got the rear subframe installed along with the new DSS driveshaft. It fit amaing and i am sure it will do the trick. The shaft ended up right at 20lbs.

After that we tackled installing the dual AEM 320lph pumps. It took a bit of time to get the wiring done along with all the fittings and plumbing. However i think it came out weill. Wiring is stubbed out of the tank, i now just need to wire each pump into its own relay and its done.

All in all it was a good day. Tomorrow i will finnish up the wiring for the pumps and hopefully get the fuel filter mounted and lines ran to it. I can also run the return from the reg back to the tank. Other then that, i believe its wait on injectors and do some small cosmetic things around the engine bay. Its getting close. We shall see what unfolds in the near future.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:09 PM
8 Second Club

Zipties! omg...

SS hose clamp may be a better choice. Not sure those badboys will last long... Could be wrong though. Dig the sweet dual pump "stockish" setup though!
Old 04-27-2014, 12:34 AM
Launching!

The zipties are gigantic industral zip ties. I used them on the last setup when it was a single aem setup. When i pulled it they looked jsut as good as the day i installed the pump.

Here is a pic of the old single pump setup right when i pulled it. Ties were still tight with no issues. Discolored a bit but that was all. They are made from the same exact material that thefitting is that connects the filter sock to the pump. I figure if AEM thinks its ok, then i should be safe to do the same.

Last edited by Phish806; 04-27-2014 at 08:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Snowball of a build - Turbo LSx Rx7