Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Snowball of a build - Turbo LSx Rx7

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 08:48 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not been making a ton of progress on the car. I did get the trigger wheel/sensor installed for the trac control. I had the wheel cut with a waterjet so it was alot cleaner. Here is the end product:

Old 03-30-2015, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Excellent full length video!!!

Glad to help with the wheel.

Thats more progress than I have done on my projects. :-(
Old 03-30-2015, 07:01 PM
kjm
Launching!

Where did you get the trigger wheel I would like to get one as well. Sad part is we have cnc machines and lasers at work but im too lazt to draw it up

Kerry I need one for a 8.8 ford flange?

Originally Posted by Phish806
I have not been making a ton of progress on the car. I did get the trigger wheel/sensor installed for the trac control. I had the wheel cut with a waterjet so it was alot cleaner. Here is the end product:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzGNAsFQGW4
Old 03-31-2015, 08:42 AM
Launching!

I had AKNOVAMAN cut it for me. He is the post right above yours. I am sure if you PM'd him he could hook you up.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:12 AM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had AKNOVAMAN cut it for me. He is the post right above yours. I am sure if you PM'd him he could hook you up.
How many teeth are on the wheel? If I remember correctly the more teeth (in reason) the more adjustability you can get out of the system correct?
Old 03-31-2015, 09:35 AM
Launching!

This wheel has 10 teeth. Honestly, i just asked Scott what it should have and he said between 8-12. I could see in theory that if you have more teeth, then it would be a bit quicker response. However, if you think about how fast this thing will be spinning at when in the higher rpms, were talking milliseconds with having a few more teeth.

I also believe, that if the teeth are to small, then it would be more difficult for the sensor to pick up a solid reading. I have no evidence to back that up, but i would think a larger tooth would give it a good solid pulse to go off of.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Megasquirt can accurately count/handle up to about 24K rpm so the processer and associated circuitry is fast enough. The magnetic pickup on a 58X crank trigger wheel (similar to the one you are using) can respond to over 7k rpm. I beleive the critical point would be the resolution/adjustability of the software.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:58 AM
Launching!

Well, i had the car out driving around a TON this weekend. I drove to a local show and pretty much used it for my daily driver Fri, Sat, and Sun. The trigger wheel works great. I was surprised on how accurate the speed was compared to the GPS speedo on the tablet.

I had a slight coolant leak from one of the heater core hoses that i drilled and tapped for in the water pump. I enede up removing the pump and replacing it with a new pump that i drilled, tapped, and plugged the ports on. I have never had heat on this car since it was a swapped car. After reading the looped, plugged debate, i decided to just do a plug and see how that goes. Throughout the weekend the car got up to 226 in stop and go traffic. Which i believe is right on par with how things should be going

I forgot to leave an analog input for the WG dome pressure for boost control. Thus, i now will be piggybacking a Microsquirt off of the MS3-Pro so i have a couple extra analog inputs. It should be the last piece of the puzzle.

I have my tune date schdeuled with Scott Clark on the 25th. I imagine it will be quite the beast once its fully tuned, in boost and has all of the traction features up and running. hoping to click off a mid 9 second pass this year.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:51 AM
8 Second Club

Jealous of the traction control..
Old 04-06-2015, 10:06 AM
Launching!

I am told that the MS3-Pro has an excellent traction control setup on it along with superb knock control capabilities. It will be great to see how it all performs and how everything comes together on the tune/car.

Also, i believe that i will be the first one with an MS3-pro running dual boost control solenoids. I am to understand that i will be the guinea pig for the new software to control it. Hopefully all goes well on that front.

I am starting to get excited once again about this thing. Its been the source of alot of aggravation with having so many motors go in and out. Hopefully this one will be the last one and last me for awhile. The entire season hopefully.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oscs
Jealous of the traction control..
Agreed! MS# allow boost by speed/gear as well?
Old 04-06-2015, 08:07 PM
Launching!

Yes, a ton of boost control options. Boost by speed, gear, time. You also have control over how it controls traction. If you start to spin, you can have it cut boost, or do your choice of altering spark, fuel, or both. It will do pretty much anything you can think of.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:28 PM
8 Second Club

I wish holley would get their **** together and offer traction control.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by oscs
I wish holley would get their **** together and offer traction control.
I thought the Holley did have trac control??

I got the Microsquirt wired in last night so i could have some extra inputs/outputs. It was actually a really simple install. Basically power, ground, two wires for it to communicate with the MS3Pro and then wire in the 3 wires to the sensor and done.

It was really simple to get the two to communicate as well, once i stopped over thinking it. Couldn't be more pleased with how it went.

Now that i have dome pressure wired into the ecu, i need to get the on-board air plumbed to the boost solenoids and we will have controlled boost. Hopefully i get to it Thurs/Friday. We shall see.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:33 AM
8 Second Club

I thought the Holley did have trac control??

I got the Microsquirt wired in last night so i could have some extra inputs/outputs. It was actually a really simple install. Basically power, ground, two wires for it to communicate with the MS3Pro and then wire in the 3 wires to the sensor and done.

It was really simple to get the two to communicate as well, once i stopped over thinking it. Couldn't be more pleased with how it went.

Now that i have dome pressure wired into the ecu, i need to get the on-board air plumbed to the boost solenoids and we will have controlled boost. Hopefully i get to it Thurs/Friday. We shall see.
Nope. It is compatible with the Davids traction box though. Sounds good until you check the price on a Davis box..
Old 04-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Launching!

A friend of mine is running the Holley, and just bought the Davis Box. Yeah, that whole package would be out of my price range for sure
Old 04-08-2015, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not trying to hijack this there'd but I have a semi related question. If I am out of line just delete this post.

Does anyone know the electrical criteria for the aftermarket traction control systems?

Think I can write some arduino code that will work.

Do you measure the percentage difference from the front wheels and the rear wheels and if more than x percent the box outputs a pulse to retard timing ? Is the output variable pulse width relative to the percentage difference?
Old 04-09-2015, 08:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by aknovaman
Not trying to hijack this there'd but I have a semi related question. If I am out of line just delete this post.

Does anyone know the electrical criteria for the aftermarket traction control systems?

Think I can write some arduino code that will work.

Do you measure the percentage difference from the front wheels and the rear wheels and if more than x percent the box outputs a pulse to retard timing ? Is the output variable pulse width relative to the percentage difference?

I think your onto it. It sounds about right anyway. However there are many different ways that the MS3-Pro does trac control.

You can compare front and rear wheel speed as you suggest. Also, you can compare how fast the rear wheels are moving based on a a certain amount of time, or you can compare how fast rpm climbs over a certain amount of time.

When Trac control kicks in, you can also adjust what happens. You can have it adjust fuel, spark, boost, nitrous etc. You can also have the trac control disable itself after a certain speed or RPM.

Here are a couple screen shots from the documentation. Nothing crazy, but gives you an idea.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have used the Tunerstudio on many of my projects. Just need to write some code and test it on my Arduino board. In theory it is easy but need real world numbers to verify correct operations.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:21 AM
Launching!

So, i got the boost control wired in on the car, and the solenoid is working properly. That means the MS wiring is complete - unlessi decide to add the bump box feature.

Now, in getting the boost control wired in, i am 99% sure i have now found my issue on why motors are blowing. While testing the boost controller, in the logs, i am seeing 3:1 backpressure with the current turbo. This is only at 5psi. I couldnt imagine what it was at 15psi when the motors were melting down.

So, i have decided to sell my current turbo, and will be going with a S476 Borg with a 92mm Turbine. It will still be a t4 footprint, and i will have to figure out how to shoehorn the thing into the engine bay. Hopefully this will solve my back pressure issues and things will be good to go. Not to mention motors will stop melting down.

That being said, the S476 has a 4" downpipe, Is it possible to reuse my 3.5" exhaust and go out the back with it? Will the 3.5" give me back pressure problems again? I am not shooting for anything high in the HP range since i am on a stock bottom end.

Quick Reply: Snowball of a build - Turbo LSx Rx7