Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Check out this CAM!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Check out this CAM!!!!!

Hopefully that awesome title caught your attention long enough to help me out!

Whats everyone think about this cam for a turbo build?
Here is the rundown so far:

Bottom:
6.0 iron block - bored .030
Callies Compstar 4.00 crank
Callies 6.125 rods
Pistons are still TBD - going to run close to 9.5cc
408 total cubic inches

Heads:
TEA Stage III 317 blower heads.

Fully CNC Ported and Polished.
74cc chambers.
2.10" Intake and 1.60" Exhaust values. Stainless Steel.
235cc Intake runners and 88cc exhaust ports.
Comp Cams 978 Dual Springs. Good for 0.660" of lift.
Titanium Keepers, Locks, and retainers.
O-ringed for boost.
Yella Terra 1.7 Roller Rocker
Here are the flow numbers.
Lift Intake Exhaust
0.100 67 54
0.200 139 120
0.300 219 179
0.400 271 224
0.500 308 248
0.550 315 255
0.600 320 260
0.650 335 271

CAM: ( incase you can't read the picture )
231/237 .568 / .573 115

Top end is Ls6 intake / Janzer ported throttle body 85mm irrc

Fuel:
I will be running 93 octane and Meth injection
Fast rails
Injectors are TBD

Exhaust:
Headers - Front mount - custom designed
Front mount merge to a T6 flange
Down pipe will probably be 4-5 inch

Turbo:
Borg Warner S480 more then likely

Goal:
1000 HP
A good cruiser with street manners
Some road course / track - but mostly a Pro-Touring setup
NOT ALL OUT DRAG RACE!

Are my goals conceivable with this cam without having to turn the boost to max effort levels?
Attached Thumbnails Check out this CAM!!!!!-cam-spec-card.jpg  
Old 03-04-2014, 07:19 AM
TECH Resident

anyone?
Old 03-04-2014, 07:34 AM
TECH Regular

I would give brian tooley a call I'm sure he can help you on your goal. One of his cams just made over 1400 horses out of a 5.3 motor.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:51 AM
TECH Resident

Thx for the reply Bacon

Yeah , I know about Tooley and have talked to him before , Pat G spec'd my cam for me years ago in my 99. Hell I was at Bullet cams yesterday that's where this spec sheet came from , not to mention I'm friends with the owner and they are located in viewing distance from my shop.
I know there are people out there that could make me a custom grind that would be more ideal for my setup and make more power.
Problem is as you can tell from my wrap sheet my budget was blown long ago , we are nearing the time I want the car done for spring time. Ricky Stenhouse said my motor would be done at the end of the month. I just got my pistons basically ordered this morning. Rebuild items are all in the mail basically. I have this cam here right now and believe it will be enough to get my starting goals. I can always change cams in the future when I want more I guess. Plans always change - hell this build started as a 5.3 with ls6 heads n intake and look at it now.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 3rdgentug
Thx for the reply Bacon

Yeah , I know about Tooley and have talked to him before , Pat G spec'd my cam for me years ago in my 99. Hell I was at Bullet cams yesterday that's where this spec sheet came from , not to mention I'm friends with the owner and they are located in viewing distance from my shop.
I know there are people out there that could make me a custom grind that would be more ideal for my setup and make more power.
Problem is as you can tell from my wrap sheet my budget was blown long ago , we are nearing the time I want the car done for spring time. Ricky Stenhouse said my motor would be done at the end of the month. I just got my pistons basically ordered this morning. Rebuild items are all in the mail basically. I have this cam here right now and believe it will be enough to get my starting goals. I can always change cams in the future when I want more I guess. Plans always change - hell this build started as a 5.3 with ls6 heads n intake and look at it now.
no cam guy wants to give up their secrets, so dont expect alot of info. also, if you ask 5 different cam guys, you will get 5 different responses. work with one shop or person and go with it.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dmaxvaz
no cam guy wants to give up their secrets, so dont expect alot of info. also, if you ask 5 different cam guys, you will get 5 different responses. work with one shop or person and go with it.
I know thats right about the different cams.
Went through that same thing on my other build and it was N/A.

Im not asking really for anyones secrets , really just someone that knows to give me a yes, a no , or a something in between.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:23 AM
8 Second Club

Received 731 Likes on 536 Posts

Since its not a race car primarily I think youll be giving up a ton of bottom end with that cam. Id keep it small. 218/218 112 .56x lift has made over your goal for power with oe 317s and an s475.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

218/218 112.... in a 408 cubic inch stroker motor.... Please tell me you're joking...

Cam is nice... I don't see the point in running such low lift lobes given the pedigree of the cylinder heads.... I have lobes that can go .609/.610 on those durations.

Itd be a good cam.... intake valve close point is a little early imo but given your stated application i think it would work well.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LilJohn
218/218 112.... in a 408 cubic inch stroker motor.... Please tell me you're joking...

Cam is nice... I don't see the point in running such low lift lobes given the pedigree of the cylinder heads.... I have lobes that can go .609/.610 on those durations.

Itd be a good cam.... intake valve close point is a little early imo but given your stated application i think it would work well.
Thank You
I know it isn't ideal , but it was one of 2 that were free. This one was actually in a 5.3 before making really good numbers through a big turbo on alot of boost on a stock short block with good heads n intake.
Im really just weighing my options here , I have another free cam I can get my hands on too , but it was much milder than this one.
In the end I will probably get custom grind specific for my parts , at this point what's another hundred dollars?
I realize skimping a few dollars now just to have it finished by a "goal" time isn't the best decision too.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:48 PM
TECH Regular

MY build is n/a and it's go be a secret spec cam from Brian tooley but even after seeing him make 1400 horse out a 5.3 motor with stock internals I'll be calling him for sure. I'm a all motor guy but 1400 from a 5.3 is just stupid power.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:08 PM
8 Second Club

JMO... If I were talking an all out max effort cam I could see your point. Your saying you don't think the OP's setup could make 1000hp with the 218/218 112? I sure think it could. For a touring car, personally I'd would want a tiny cam with stock like driveability. Few OE headed 370's making over the OP's goal with the above cam. Why go overboard? It's just harder on the valve train. Not something I'd want to drive cross-country anyway.

Last edited by Forcefed86; 03-04-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
JMO... If I were talking an all out max effort cam I could see your point. Your saying you don't think the OP's setup could make 1000hp with the 218/218 112? I sure think it could. For a touring car, personally I'd would want a tiny cam with stock like driveability. Few OE headed 370's making over the OP's goal with the above cam. Why go overboard? It's just harder on the valve train. Not something I'd want to drive cross-country anyway.
Love the myth your quoting about bigger durations and lift being harder on the valvetrain.

it may make 1000 hp with a 218/218 112.... but its still a 408 cubic inch motor... you want to sit there and look at the end goal result without looking at any other aspect of it... and you cant do that and it be a well rounded motor. You put that cam in this motor... and all its gonna do well is burnouts.... because thats exactly what its gonna do with any spirited driving and throttle input. Its not just about the power it makes.... its also about where it makes it.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:36 PM
TECH Resident

Nothing I ever build is all out race , I like to drive my cars too much.
I have a front engine slingshot dragster that's got a bored/stroked/blown nitro burning hemi if I want to go fast in a straight line.
This is going in my 67 ( in sig ) that will be a cruiser/weekend warrior pick my 5 year old up from school id I want to type car.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:51 PM
8 Second Club

Love the myth your quoting about bigger durations and lift being harder on the valvetrain.

It may make 1000 hp with a 218/218 112.... but its still a 408 cubic inch motor... you want to sit there and look at the end goal result without looking at any other aspect of it... and you cant do that and it be a well rounded motor. You put that cam in this motor... and all its gonna do well is burnouts.... because thats exactly what its gonna do with any spirited driving and throttle input. Its not just about the power it makes.... its also about where it makes it.
I was more referring to the higher duration cam making power higher in the RPMs. More RPM=more wear, thats not a myth.

I was looking at the over all goal. It's a touring car, not a strip car. I think your looking more at the peak power aspect and less the overall driveability. You gear the car for the power band. No matter what you do, 1000hp is useless on the street. What cam do you think would drive most like an OE vehicle and retain the best MPG while still meeting the HP goal?

Like I said, thats just how I'd cam a car I wanted to be as street friendly as possible. Not arguing with you about "race cams".

Nothing I ever build is all out race , I like to drive my cars too much.
I have a front engine slingshot dragster that's got a bored/stroked/blown nitro burning hemi if I want to go fast in a straight line.
This is going in my 67 ( in sig ) that will be a cruiser/weekend warrior pick my 5 year old up from school id I want to type car.
Right and to have that I'd want a nice solid idle, plenty of vacuum, decent MPG, good cylinder filling under cruise. Not gonna happen with the cam you have now IMO. Or an even larger one...

Last edited by Forcefed86; 03-04-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:06 PM
8 Second Club

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

What is RPMs?
Old 03-04-2014, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

Right and to have that I'd want a nice solid idle, plenty of vacuum, decent MPG, good cylinder filling under cruise. Not gonna happen with the cam you have now IMO. Or an even larger one...
Thanks
Old 03-04-2014, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rotary1307cc
What is RPMs?
If you are asking what my rpms will be , I don't see any reason why I would be taking it too high. Again not all out race , but I'm over building the car in case I ever decide to change directions.
So to answer I would say 7000 now max
Old 03-04-2014, 03:13 PM
8 Second Club

If you are asking what my rpms will be , I don't see any reason why I would be taking it too high. Again not all out race , but I'm over building the car in case I ever decide to change directions.
So to answer I would say 7000 now max
He's just giving me ****...

Originally Posted by rotary1307cc
What is RPMs?
Plural form of RPM possibly?
Old 03-04-2014, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

I was more referring to the higher duration cam making power higher in the RPMs. More RPM=more wear, thats not a myth.

I was looking at the over all goal. It's a touring car, not a strip car. I think your looking more at the peak power aspect and less the overall driveability. You gear the car for the power band. No matter what you do, 1000hp is useless on the street. What cam do you think would drive most like an OE vehicle and retain the best MPG while still meeting the HP goal?

Like I said, thats just how I'd cam a car I wanted to be as street friendly as possible. Not arguing with you about "race cams".

Everyones opinion of driveability is different. No where in his original post did he ask for OEM driveability characteristics. He asked for street manners. a 231/237 115 cam in a 408 is a very mild camshaft that will probably peak at or before 6400 rpm on a 408 and drive like a complete ***** cat in a car with an engine that size..... Ive done that cam in stock stroke 6 liters and it only peaked at 6700-6800. It only has 4 degrees of overlap... not like its some crazy stupid cam. Odds are the LS6 intake is going to Limit where the power peaks anyway.

And no where in this whole post have i said anything about a "race cam" for this car.

Last edited by LilJohn; 03-04-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:45 PM
8 Second Club

Everyones opinion of driveability is different. No where in his original post did he ask for OEM driveability characteristics. He asked for street manners. a 231/237 115 cam in a 408 is a very mild camshaft that will probably peak at or before 6400 rpm on a 408 and drive like a complete ***** cat in a car with an engine that size..... Ive done that cam in stock stroke 6 liters and it only peaked at 6700-6800. It only has 4 degrees of overlap... not like its some crazy stupid cam. Odds are the LS6 intake is going to Limit where the power peaks anyway.

And no where in this whole post have i said anything about a "race cam" for this car.
When I put the numbers in I got 10* of overlap, maybe I did it wrong? Either way It's just my opinion and liljohn defiantly has more experience than me.

Just trying to learn myself. If the 7.0 LS7 redline's at 7100 (HP peaks at 6300) with a 211/230 @ 120 cam. Why is a 231/237 115 out of steam at 6400 on a 408?

Quick Reply: Check out this CAM!!!!!