On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did you find fir cooling?
Old 10-27-2014, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bondobird
What did you find fir cooling?
It looks like it's all about the pump you use. I asked Whipple how much pressure I could run through the I/C core safely and I looked for the best pump I could find for that max pressure and it works great, so far. I also installed -12 hose and fittings <(I had to drill out the fittings) throughout the system and used a 5 gallon water tank as my supply. IAT temps stayed low even as I drove it around the block a few time. No, I don't have any hammer time passes on it yet I think it's gonna work fine... I'll update this after more high boost testing.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LSmonster
It looks like it's all about the pump you use. I asked Whipple how much pressure I could run through the I/C core safely and I looked for the best pump I could find for that max pressure and it works great, so far. I also installed -12 hose and fittings <(I had to drill out the fittings) throughout the system and used a 5 gallon water tank as my supply. IAT temps stayed low even as I drove it around the block a few time. No, I don't have any hammer time passes on it yet I think it's gonna work fine... I'll update this after more high boost testing.
What pump did you buy? I know Dustin recommends the stewart
Old 10-27-2014, 10:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 101 Posts

Nice, does the throttle body just point to the firewall and stay open, or are you able to run a charge pipe somewhere with a filter?

Always had a soft spot for these Whipple LS's.

Sent you and inquiry a while back about one, this makes my wheels start to turn again, have the same tight quarters as this fox body does in my project.

Curious to see results, of both of these projects.... I figure since the COPO does so well, that these kits must be ironed out by now.

They are still around 7000.00 for the set up aren't they?

Here is a mock up pic and the T/B wedge spacer I made to deal with the firewall problem.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by helicoil
Nice, does the throttle body just point to the firewall and stay open, or are you able to run a charge pipe somewhere with a filter?

Sent you and inquiry a while back about one, this makes my wheels start to turn again, have the same tight quarters as this fox body does in my project.

Curious to see results, of both of these projects.... I figure since the COPO does so well, that these kits must be ironed out by now.

Depends on what size you want and what features. The COPO cars are now going 8's with our 175ci (2.9l) Supercharger. That kit should be in the 7000 range I think. Maybe less. The 275ci supercharger kit like LSmonster and I have start at around 8500. But clearly have monster potential if the 175's are making 1000+hp and going 8's.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by helicoil

I'm typing this on my phone so bare with me. The t/b is kinda close but with the wedge I think it will be ok. I can cope out the fire wall if needed and add a sleeve and filter in the area behind it. As for power, I've made stupid power with the 4.0L whipples with a 10 rib pulley. So this 4.5L unit with a 12 rib pulley should be off the chain! That and using ice water through the intercooler and water/meth injection I'll be shocked if I can't get this car into the 7's. Just driving it around the block not fully tuned and bliping the throttle I saw 5 lbs of boost instantly... and I only have a 20lb pulley on it... so far.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I found a much better pump. It's pricy @ 300.00 but it's bad *** and pushes water very well. I'll take a pic tomorrow when I get back to the shop.

The engine that I'm using now is just for testing until ERL finishes the bullet for this project. The engine in it now is good but not near as nasty as what's coming... I wont be able to see what this blower can do until I get the new motor... and I can't wait to get my hands on it!!!!
Old 10-28-2014, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is a link to the pump.

http://mppumps.com/Product/FRX-75-En...ntrifugal-Pump
Old 05-30-2018, 04:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 427
That core you showed looks like they stacked two, that will add core restriction X2 as well as doubling cooling capacity as long as you have enough water. General rule is 20GPM will cover 1,000hp if the core is capable. Most cores are compromised based on mechanical needs of available space. When you use them in drag racing you typically see the cores used as heat sinks, in those applications the IAT will climb until you lift, starting at low temp supplemented by ice (high delta helps smaller coolers do big work). In steady state with proper water flow the IAT will stabilize, not climbing at all. In realistic racecar stuff the IAT will stay below some specified limit while operating at a realistic duty cycle. More than likely that double core was used on a boat where the engine is operating steady state for extended periods. Testing will show the weak point in any system if you record/watch inlet/outlet of water/air you can figure out if you need water flow or bigger core. Your 2.9 Chinese core was following near 1-1 IAT and water exit temp, both climbing rapidly. This says water flow is required, in that case the core could not do it.

Kurt
What were your results with this project Kurt?
Old 05-30-2018, 07:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That project was abandoned at my last job, it’s in storage now
Old 05-30-2018, 09:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 427
That project was abandoned at my last job, it’s in storage now
Never got any more data on that?

Was that at W2W?
Old 05-31-2018, 07:33 AM
TECH Junkie

It was High Output Technology in NC.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Can it be bought? LOL
Old 06-20-2018, 07:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Not sure, but likely would sell whole engine at premium price.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:09 PM
TECH Junkie

What was the part nuber to this pump and have any flow data?
Old 01-23-2019, 07:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

old post but I didn't see it listed anywhere. Is there a dimensional chart anywhere for the front feed 4.0 or even 4.5 setups? Just wanting to see those values to determine fitment

Quick Reply: 4.5 liter Whipple build