Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LSx Budget Dyno Queen. Ls1 Rx7+turbo(s)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
So don't! Why risk grenading a perfectly good T56? Because you want to buy a rear end AND a trans rebuild?

Andrew

You have a point.....but the trans made a ton of noise since day one. I know its not a good reason to pop a perfectly good trans, but I am trying to only see full load in 5th at the track to keep the chances of it staying together high.

Also, I really enjoy driving the car! Its getting close to 1500 HARD miles on the year, and if the baby cooperates a midnight flight to Mexico tomorrow. On the street I tell people the race is done when I hit the limiter in 4th, so it has worked out so far.

I am playing with fire with this whole build, so it is what it is really. I dont plan on another track visit until later in the year so hopefully I can keep it together until then
Old 06-14-2015, 01:29 PM
Launching!

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by coltboostin

Also did some work on my Ching Chong gates. I will post a review on these later. Hate to say it, they are the best I have seen out of them yet.

Don't think I ever say more details on these? Any more I for to share?

I know you like your billet on3's. What would be your next choice, if it were in the $500 range? I'm running a stock LS1.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jwooky
Don't think I ever say more details on these? Any more I for to share?

I know you like your billet on3's. What would be your next choice, if it were in the $500 range? I'm running a stock LS1.

Sure-I got nothing to hide!!!

I talked to the guys at Changzhou E&E Turbo-Power Co., Ltd. booth at SEMA show a few years back when the MVRs where coming out, and out of the Ching Ching gate suppliers they had by far the best "quality" of what was available. They seemed to be the first and one of the only on the MVR "style" bandwagon, and I have used them for every build since with no issues so I have stuck with them.

I will PM you a link to buy them cheaper than Ebay. I'd prefer you not publicize it as they are now making VERY good fakes and I dont think its fair to the US market. Unmarked like my gates is one thing, they LOOK fake..but all out copies are another.

If your not going billet his 70-76mm units work great-and have gone mid 160's as twins. If your looking for a great spooking 600-800whp I'd try out the GT35r rep's if your OK with T3 turbine housings.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Between wedding and 2 kids B day parties… I had some time to take the car on a drive to get groceries…..I was just sure to take it to the store a few exits away. 

The good news-the BoBo Tach works GREAT! No drop in RPM, no erratic signal-nothing. So I would assume that the signal coming from the ECU is good-and my VDO tach is junk.

Bad news-I noticed a little smoke on the way home after a pull. Could not tell if it was on decel or WOT. The car has NO catch can or evac of any kind, and that has solved a lot of issues like this in the past-so that will be the next mod. Car felt strong and was not running hotter than normal-so I won’t worry about the motor just yet.

Next, did some test pulls and shifted when I “thought” I needed to shift. Using my phone in a very sketchy manner, I found out that I short shifter 3-4 at 5600, and 4-5 at 5400!!!!! No wonder the car fell on its face on the track!!! Evidently I have to calibrate my ear’s tachometer.

The best news-winding 4th to redline netted very good transient response in the shift to 5th gear. It still takes more time to recover than the first 3 shifts, but it was 100% better than it was on track. I am hopeful what with no other changes beyond a proper 4-5 shift that I will pick up some MPH and ET. Once That is sorted, I can try to hit my 2nd boost stage earlier and/or turn up the 2nd stage boost level.

I have some things to do before my next track visit, but I am excited at the prospects of improving the performance with no additional $$$$ added!
Old 06-18-2015, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

After seeing a little smoke on my RPM/Shifting test pulls, I wanted to take it fro a drive, and see if I lost any coolant. After 30 minutes to and from work, traffic, and several power pulls, no coolant was passed and the car runs cool. Oddly enough, the smoke was significantly reduced from the previous trip. Still need a EVAC system badly, bit I am happy to assume the HG's are still intact-a worry of mine on stock HG's and TTY bolts!

Usually runs in the 190-200 range, but I adjusted the fan control to come on sooner

Name:  _20150618_182825.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  104.9 KB

Last edited by coltboostin; 06-18-2015 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could have been some smoke from one of the turbos? Do you have small enough restrictors on those BB CHRAs?
Old 06-18-2015, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tjabo
Could have been some smoke from one of the turbos? Do you have small enough restrictors on those BB CHRAs?
Its possible. They are unrestricted right now. Since I have the feel line T'd which will reduce oil volume, and since the turbo has a bronze bushing on the turbine side, I wanted to try it unrestricted to see hot they liked it. After I build an EVAC system, if the problem resists I will do some testing to find the source.

I just have such limited time right now, I have to pick my battles!
Old 07-02-2015, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Some tire pressure testing with the street tries. This is 15psi-3rd gear. Don't mind the dirtiness of the car giddy laughter-was in the middle of ripping the car apart chasing the tach issue....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so1Y...ature=youtu.be

And a Trip to Mexico against a GT500. Built, Whipple 2.9L and a 50+shot on E85. Im at 12psi and pump gas.

https://video-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hv...f2&oe=559583D2

Sorry, I dont know how to convert it to a non FB link!
Old 07-07-2015, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Few updates...

Got lucky to fond a real Re-Amemiya front end semi local. I am nto a body kit/car show guy, but I have always loved the look of the RE cars, and have never seen one live in person. Found a great deal on a real Japanese piece and had to jump on it! Should be going to paint soon.

Name:  IMG_20150703_031537174_HDR.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  237.0 KB

Last time I was out doing some vigorous TnT, I broke my rear end brace for the 3rd time this year. The previous times I have quickly welded whatever metal I found laying around. This time I took 10 minutes to think about it. I found a piece that was strong, beefy, and FREE-the intake support price that everyone takes off their DSM. Bolts right up-and I cut off the 3rd arm to use for the mount point on the sub frame. I think this should last a good bit longer!

Name:  IMG_20150703_021607522.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  208.4 KB

Next
Cleaned up some of the gauges- and got the tach working!!! Wired in a jump circuit to boost the signal to the tach. She works-still a little laggy but its better than nothing. Also got the boost gauge and Wideband off my dash and tucked into the cluster.

Name:  IMG_20150703_021740377.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  221.0 KB

And of course-got the needed approval from the crew chief

Name:  IMG_20150701_142738181_HDR.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  232.1 KB

Next up- intakes for the turbos, EVAC, wiring up the new head lights, and cleaning a few things up for the DSM shootout and some short Mexican vacations in between
Old 07-11-2015, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

So, I dropped my bumper off at a buddies body shop who requested the work in exchange for a tune on his GVr4. He wanted the car to take a look at a fender and insure a good paint match. Swung by to drop off the key, and wash shocked to find this..............

Name:  paint.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  10.0 KB

Sorry for the tiny pic-but he decided to paint the whole car on a sponsorship basis! Still working out the details, but I will have to enter it in a few local car shows, and make sure I am running his stickers when I do. I'll take that any day. Car will still be black, but will have an added pearl. Not to flashy, but not stock either.

I think with this I need to get tint ASAP, and may block plasti dip the wheels and try the full murder look.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:03 AM
TECH Resident

RutRoh, don't car shows equal the demise of the flexpipe exhaust?!?! Lol

Time to swap it out for some aluminum exhaust anyway to save some weight.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

RutRoh, don't car shows equal the demise of the flexpipe exhaust?!?! Lol

Time to swap it out for some aluminum exhaust anyway to save some weight.
When time permits. I have been lucky enough to not have ANY issues which is shocking considering how hard I am on the car, but the new baby and a house I am looking to Flip have taken up any spare moment I have. Winter plans where to build the 6.0 I have at home, and shoot for the moon, but if it holds together I think I may keep the LS1 in there-slide a cam and some springs in there, Fab up and 8.8 with a 3.27 gear, and refine what I have (Exhaust improvement included.

Finding time for even that sounds exhausting these days.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

I hear you on ALL of that! I'm sure a lot of us with families do.

FWIW, I think you should keep the LS1 in there, maybe exactly as is. With as much attention as it has gotten, how can you even think of changing it? Lol
Old 07-11-2015, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I hear you on ALL of that! I'm sure a lot of us with families do.

FWIW, I think you should keep the LS1 in there, maybe exactly as is. With as much attention as it has gotten, how can you even think of changing it? Lol
Right!

just keep turning it up, and let er' eat. Fueled by a mix of Cam2 and Hateraid.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:08 PM
TECH Resident

Haha, yeah!

I really do think it would be interesting to see what it can do if you sort out some of the peripheral issues and just leave the engine setup alone.

Last edited by Tjabo; 07-11-2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haha, yeah!

I really do think it would be interesting to see what it can do if you sort out some of the peripheral issues and just leave the engine setup alone.
Time will tell. Keeping it out of 5th will make a WORLD of diffence, I can garntee that! So, I either need a 3.55 or lower gear, or rev to 8k
Old 07-13-2015, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Name:  IMG954411.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  211.1 KB

About ready for paint! I am in a holding pattern on mods until I get the car back, but plans are to have it ready to run in TnT at the DSMshootout.

http://highboostforum.com/forum/show...st-7-9th-2015?

Here is the list of things I'd like to do before then;

Move intercooler to new location (down and forward to fit new bumper)
Intakes
Catch Can
340's

And if time permits
Tii Rear/axles just for some insurance

If I can get the 340's and Tii Rear end in, I plan to leave fairly aggressively and turn up the boost. If I can get the car to fuel 20+psi till redline I am hopefully that I can hang it in 4th long enough that it does not completely lay over on the shift to 5th I'd like to see the car go mid 9's@low 150's. With the 4.11 rear end, stock redline, and going into 5th, I think that's as good as its going to get.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you're trying to keep with the stock ls1 thing, but throwing some valve springs on it would be huge when you have the added fuel to turn the extra rpm. The water crossover at the back is a good idea for runs in Mexico if you don't have it already. I'm kinda surprised it hasn't butted a ring considering I made 400 less hp on same dyno and broke #7 last year.

I had dinner with Rick Hoback tonight....he'll be out on track at the USCA Charlotte event this weekend. That damn little LS1 in his frc is still running, although I'm pretty sure the rods have extended their own lives by shortening themselves over time and making the c.r. more manageable. I may be doing the turbo cam for his next build.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by briannutter
I know you're trying to keep with the stock ls1 thing, but throwing some valve springs on it would be huge when you have the added fuel to turn the extra rpm. The water crossover at the back is a good idea for runs in Mexico if you don't have it already. I'm kinda surprised it hasn't butted a ring considering I made 400 less hp on same dyno and broke #7 last year.

I had dinner with Rick Hoback tonight....he'll be out on track at the USCA Charlotte event this weekend. That damn little LS1 in his frc is still running, although I'm pretty sure the rods have extended their own lives by shortening themselves over time and making the c.r. more manageable. I may be doing the turbo cam for his next build.

Thanks for the info-you mean a water crossover as something in the heads and not the rear steam tubes correct?

As for the rings, Erik and I set up the tune exceptionally think up top to try and keep that piston cool. Also, I'd guess my motor had 100k more than yours when I went turbo, so I may have "naturally" had the room to begin with LOL.

Yes, Ricks reliability is wild with how hard he is on that car!! If you guys dont know him or the car- here you go

http://www.hotrod.com/news/202mph-wi...s1-long-block/

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-u...olet-corvette/

Its a TT Ls1 with a Cam-and he runs well north of 20psi turned up
Old 07-27-2015, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think Im in love....

Body is 99% done. Went down there and fired up the welder to fit up the Intercooler. Had to go forward 5 inches, down 3, and now sits at a very slight angle.

Name:  IMG_20150718_132730152.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  256.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20150718_132853242_HDR.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  269.7 KB

And had a spare few minutes to work on the intakes.

Name:  IMG_20150718_152918127.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  261.3 KB

Just need to modify the IC pipes-wash and Buff and its ready to come home for final prep before the shootout.

Quick Reply: LSx Budget Dyno Queen. Ls1 Rx7+turbo(s)