Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LSx Budget Dyno Queen. Ls1 Rx7+turbo(s)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Ls Juan Rx7- 870whp SBE, and climbing...

Cliffs

Picked up this

To put in this-

Plus this

All for this

Any hopefully end up with something near this-

This has been my MO for some time. I put a 4 FWD banger into the 10's@150mph for less than 5k including the car, back in 04, and its been down hill since then.

Starting to fab now. I can assure you the build thread will not be pretty, prompt, or news worthy. But I can assure you the end product will perform.

Last edited by coltboostin; 05-13-2016 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Easy 10s all day lol
Old 07-17-2014, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
Easy 10s all day lol
The Goal is 9.9@150 on the stock block rolling out of the hole. The car cam with several stock Turbo 2 rear ends (strong, but not consistent 1.3 60's strong) so I will be using those until I out grow them. Car will be a 6 speed street car. No Grandma trans for me to fall asleep in.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That's a clean looking RX7. Any clue on what the end weight will be?
Old 07-17-2014, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Damn i was hoping to be the first ls turbo rx7 in cleveland.

Ive got an 86 GXL that ive been keeping under wraps for a long time, its grey too. Its too hard building 2 cars at the same time (especially since i live out of state now) so i let a buddy take over, but we have a 5.3 and all the swap parts, just need a trans. N/A this year, turbo next year.

Car will get my motor and if it lives through this year and we would go for the stock bottom ls1 record (e/t wise).
Old 07-17-2014, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by coltboostin
The Goal is 9.9@150 on the stock block rolling out of the hole. The car cam with several stock Turbo 2 rear ends (strong, but not consistent 1.3 60's strong) so I will be using those until I out grow them. Car will be a 6 speed street car. No Grandma trans for me to fall asleep in.
Those goals should be easy to attain as lonh as the drivetrain helps you out
Old 07-28-2014, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Finding time to work on the car here and there. Got a killer deal on way too much clutch for the car-but for less than a monster stage one, I’ll grow into it. 

And confirming what I already knew…

I hope to get some header wrap/high temp VHT/oil line parts this week do I can start final assembly of the turbo system. I hope t have it on the ground again and under its own power no later than Aug 30th.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also pretty happy with the way the manifolds turned out. Had a tig lined up-but could not make it over to the shop so I went to town with the harbor freight Mig. Added bracing just to be safe.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep us updated on your build.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,388 Likes on 877 Posts

Is that a single or twin disk 8.5" clutch? I had a single disk 8.5" in my FC with a dog-ring T56...

I remember when you had the FC with the Mitsu engine...

Andrew
Old 07-29-2014, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Twin.

Its AGGRESSIVE. But, for the price (and it needed a clutch anyways) I cant say no. Yes, the RX-7 is the only car I really regret selling. I have been in the market for the right deal ever since.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Twin.

Its AGGRESSIVE. But, for the price (and it needed a clutch anyways) I cant say no. Yes, the RX-7 is the only car I really regret selling. I have been in the market for the right deal ever since.
This will be a fun build. Keep in mind that this clutch will kill driveline parts because it is not really meant to be slipped, and there is not much forgiveness with the engagement. Also, if you slip it too much, the thin floater will warp and the clutch won't release cleanly anymore.

The flat spring on the clutch doesn't require a lot of travel to achieve full release. I don't remember the exact number, but it is less than .300". With the Tri-Lite bearing that you are using, you can actually use the stock FC clutch MC, which has a 5/8" bore. It will give you a nice soft pedal and make it easier to drive, and not be such an ON/OFF switch.

For driving on the street, I found it best to blip the throttle and then just release the pedal quickly. Not a clutch dump, but certainly not a lot of slipping off the line. That will keep heat to a minimum, as heat is a clutches #1 enemy.

My drag strip launches were pretty simple: hold 5500RPM and dump the clutch. It was only making about 400rwhp and I had a Cobra 8.8 rear, so durability was not an issue, as it might be for you.

Andrew

Last edited by Project GatTagO; 07-29-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
This will be a fun build. Keep in mind that this clutch will kill driveline parts because it is not really meant to be slipped, and there is not much forgiveness with the engagement. Also, if you slip it too much, the thin floater will warp and the clutch won't release cleanly anymore.

The flat spring on the clutch doesn't require a lot of travel to achieve full release. I don't remember the exact number, but it is less than .300". With the Tri-Lite bearing that you are using, you can actually use the stock FC clutch MC, which has a 5/8" bore. It will give you a nice soft pedal and make it easier to drive, and not be such an ON/OFF switch.

For driving on the street, I found it best to blip the throttle and then just release the pedal quickly. Not a clutch dump, but certainly not a lot of slipping off the line. That will keep heat to a minimum, as heat is a clutches #1 enemy.

My drag strip launches were pretty simple: hold 5500RPM and dump the clutch. It was only making about 400rwhp and I had a Cobra 8.8 rear, so durability was not an issue, as it might be for you.

RX7 with a LS6 and Liberty faceplated T56 - YouTube

Andrew

Yes, I drove the original car it came off of (track prep'd z06) and ti was great for road racing but a pain to get on and off the dyno. For the price, I have to try it! A clutch dump will only net me a tow home for sure. I expect to do all of my work on the back half.

Thanks for the suggestion on the MC. It has a stock Ls1 MC now. If I don't like the feel I will try out a stock FC unit (the car happen to come with one).

As for the TB, I was under the impression using the stock TB was not an option?
Old 07-29-2014, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

With the stock LS1 MC you will run the risk of overtraveling the tri-lite bearing, or your pedal will have to be adjusted very close to the floor and you will have an on/off switch for a clutch. But you go ahead and try it...

I ran a stock LS1 TB on my FC, but some clearance work needs to be done on the underside hood structure...

Andrew
Old 07-29-2014, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

With the stock LS1 MC you will run the risk of overtraveling the tri-lite bearing, or your pedal will have to be adjusted very close to the floor and you will have an on/off switch for a clutch. But you go ahead and try it...

I ran a stock LS1 TB on my FC, but some clearance work needs to be done on the underside hood structure...

Andrew

Not understanding-inside the trans?

I will look into what QM recommends for a MC. I have a guy there I have worked with alot on the Mitsu Junk. We were on the "team" that came up with the gear drive units.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not understanding-inside the trans?

I will look into what QM recommends for a MC. I have a guy there I have worked with alot on the Mitsu Junk. We were on the "team" that came up with the gear drive units.
TB...as in throttle body...or are you talking about something else?

Who did you work with there?

Andrew
Old 07-29-2014, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Found a link to some pictures of the single 8.5" that I had...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-clutch-s.html

Andrew
Old 07-29-2014, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ben Stoner (sp) it was some time ago. That was back in 09. We were ripping the splines out of the discs on the big HP 4 bangers-gear drive was the fix.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Found a link to some pictures of the single 8.5" that I had...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-clutch-s.html

Andrew

Yup. Thats it. Just more discs and a non fancy alignment tool on my end. LOL

And by TB I meant Throwout Bearing.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yup. Thats it. Just more discs and a non fancy alignment tool on my end. LOL

And by TB I meant Throwout Bearing.
You can't use a stock bearing because it is flat faced. You need to use the tri-lite that has the radius face bearing. I don't know Ben. He must have come aboard after I left. I worked there in 2004-2005 when that twin 8.5" was being developed...

Andrew

Quick Reply: LSx Budget Dyno Queen. Ls1 Rx7+turbo(s)