Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LSx Budget Dyno Queen. Ls1 Rx7+turbo(s)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Why should the heater hose lines not be plugged? Performance GM crate engines come from the factory with them plugged. Looping them is where you get into trouble. Plugging them is fine as according to everything I've read. Where are you getting your info?
I could be wrong on this. There have been various threads in the Hybrid forum about this and the consensus seems to be that they should not be plugged. As I said, I could be wrong...I like having a heater in the car so I always go through the heater core.

Andrew
Old 09-29-2014, 03:21 PM
8 Second Club

Received 754 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by oscs
Looping and plugging them is fine. Your not "suppose" to loop them but plenty people do it with no problem. I've had mine "looped" and plugged. This is probably the best thread on LS cooling systems I've read.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=621363
“Looping” connects the high and low side of the coolant system. (as seen in the diagram in the link you posted) This will slow overall flow and reduce efficiency. Some may get away with it, but the system doesn't work as it should looped. Blocking them off is a better route if not running a heater core.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:02 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

“Looping” connects the high and low side of the coolant system. (as seen in the diagram in the link you posted) This will slow overall flow and reduce efficiency. Some may get away with it, but the system doesn't work as it should looped. Blocking them off is a better route if not running a heater core.

Agreed. I probably shouldn't have said it was fine rather "people get away with it" The way my system is currently setup there is a small amount of "loop" and it is not overheating. I had to machine a spacer to relocate the direction of the thermostat housing. In turn that has created a gap allowing coolant to constantly run through the system. I'll probably just pull out the thermostat as it really isn't doing anything at this point anyways.

Last edited by oscs; 09-29-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
There have been various threads in the Hybrid forum about this and the consensus seems to be that they should not be plugged.

I had the car out for about 100 miles Saturday night-never went over 170 deg. Considering that any/all track cars do not have a heater core and have those blocked, I would sat those are not "needed".
Old 09-29-2014, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
Looks good, glad to see it on the road. I wish i could have made the meet saturday

I am going to HIGHLY suggest E85.. Its so easy to get in our area and i know it kept my pig alive at the level i was at.
You would have had a TON of runs lined up. There was 300+ cars there, 10 in the 8's or better. Many, many in the 600-700whp range-literally ran till the sun came up
Old 09-29-2014, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by coltboostin
You would have had a TON of runs lined up. There was 300+ cars there, 10 in the 8's or better. Many, many in the 600-700whp range-literally ran till the sun came up
Ahhh that is not what i wanted to hear. I knew i should have turned it down and ran it at lower boost, instead I bent the rods having too much fun in the cool weather.

Always next year.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Intercooler is in. $200 of 1000+HP Ching Chang Cooling

Waiting on a 45 Deg 3 inch couplers for better fitment with my random radiator. (Hinson that came with the car is sold) and with the funds from the Hinson Radiator-it should cover the cost of the IC/Plumbing/used 80 lbs injectors. Free upgrades FTW

Wont have time till hopefully Sunday to try and put it all together.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

So, been busy with work/travel. Finally found time to finish up the IC set up, just in time for the snow LOL.

It came out even better than expected. The intercooler although universal, basically bolted right up using the OE bumper supports! Size and spacing were absolutely perfect. I used scrap piped for the hot and cold side. Waiting on the BOV, but besides that, dump tubes, and better clamps-we are injectors away from glory pulls.

I used a radiator I had laying around I picked form the junkyard out of a Audi 200 turbo that looked new(er) and a set of cooling fans from the same junk yard run. The rad is 1/2 the thickness of the Hinson that came with the car, but it has done well thus far.

I sold the Hinson for $400, so considering the cost of the IC, I actually profited $200 by installing the IC. Showing was done with scraps and aluminum duct foil tape.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:44 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I freaking love it. A "real" build. Not I bought this part from this speed shop and I bolted it on. Like your signature says, built not bought. How are the ching Chong meow waste gates working for you?
Old 11-12-2014, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RatCityRex
I freaking love it. A "real" build. Not I bought this part from this speed shop and I bolted it on. Like your signature says, built not bought. How are the ching Chong meow waste gates working for you?
Thanks.

I have never had an issue with a Ching Chong gate, and I have been running them almost exclusively since 2002. Some I do take apart and clean up the shavings and lube the shaft. These for example work great and are very compact, but I always lube the shaft as some feel "sticky" out of the box. I have not had one stick open or closed yet though...
Old 11-12-2014, 06:45 PM
Launching!

Out of all my times of using 38Mm gates on so many builds I've only ever had 1 **** on me. And it was just wore out from use. I haven ever used one of the 44mm gates and I was getting ready to pull the trigger on the exact same ones you bought. Been thinking about doing twin holset hy35s or hx35s on my lq4. I've had so much good Luck with 4 cyl and holsets 2 of them on a v8 can't be bad.....lol
Old 11-12-2014, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RatCityRex
Out of all my times of using 38Mm gates on so many builds I've only ever had 1 **** on me. And it was just wore out from use. I haven ever used one of the 44mm gates and I was getting ready to pull the trigger on the exact same ones you bought. Been thinking about doing twin holset hy35s or hx35s on my lq4. I've had so much good Luck with 4 cyl and holsets 2 of them on a v8 can't be bad.....lol
That would Rock!
Old 12-05-2014, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well she officially has her sea legs. Put another 100 or so mile son it the last nice week we had up here-clutch is a pain in the *** but everything works well now. Hood is on with the new IC set up. I picked up injectors and a 4 bar map for dirt. Working on mult-used 255 set up this weekend if time permits. Then, off to the dyno for some boosted baseline runs.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:28 PM
8 Second Club

Very cool! You doing intank or inline? Those triple pneumatic couplers from harbor freight work great for multi fuel pump setups.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very cool! You doing intank or inline? Those triple pneumatic couplers from harbor freight work great for multi fuel pump setups.

The Medusa! LOL

I love it. I have a pile of old pumps to rummage though. In take or in line depends on what I find when I take to sending unit out of the OE tank and what I find in the parts bin. I really like that mod though...
Old 12-07-2014, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

I haven't even got my car put together and you got me thinking twins in my regal. I like the bare budget build keep us posted.
Btw great work coming together nicely
Old 12-08-2014, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

Ive got 2 255s sitting in my garage if you need some.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by YungSteph
I haven't even got my car put together and you got me thinking twins in my regal. I like the bare budget build keep us posted.
Btw great work coming together nicely
Easier in some ways, harder in others. Thanks-just wish I had more time to work on it! fell like little things are taking me forever

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
Ive got 2 255s sitting in my garage if you need some.
PM about that please! LMK what you need for them. The car has 1 255 in it now...
Old 12-24-2014, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Zip tie racing Double Pumper LOL

pressure tested, and installed.

Actually more or a pain than any other car I have built one for due to Mazda's great fuel tank Baffle.

Investment=$0. Car had a 255 in it, and I pulled one out of a dusty box from a DSM part out many moons ago. A drill, welder, and a dream-and we are in business! Wires with 12 GA wire and a 40 amp relay, we should be good to 800+ RWP

Installed with a used rising rate regulator,

and we are 99% ready for some baseline runs. If everything falls into place we will be on the dyno Friday night.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:45 AM
8 Second Club

With E85, my 2 255's were out of steam around 650ish FWIW. Base was 50...

The other cheap thing you can do is pull the tank drain and install a fitting there. Then run that to 1 or 2 inline walbros and "T" it into the feed. I installed a pickup in place of the factory pump hangar to get around the annoying baffle setup... worked pretty good.

Good luck!

Last edited by Forcefed86; 12-24-2014 at 07:08 AM.

Quick Reply: LSx Budget Dyno Queen. Ls1 Rx7+turbo(s)