Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Alternator Relocation with Auto Tensioner?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:30 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Alternator Relocation with Auto Tensioner?

I have a turbo setup and relocated the alternator up to the passenger side head, but by doing so I loose the auto tensioner.

Driving down the road the other day one rib from the belt came off... So I'm wondering if there is any kit or way to run the alternator up there and still use a spring loaded tensioner system?
Old 07-23-2014, 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The alternator relo kit should of had a block to bolt where the org alternator mounts.

Look up huron speeds kit. That's what I have.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:38 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My kit does not use the auto tensioner. I have sold hundreds of them and not one complaint.
What I'm getting at is the fact that the setup doesn't use a tensioner is not the reason for your belt failure.
Is you belt alignment ok?
Old 07-23-2014, 07:19 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

I put a straight edge on the pulley to verify it was in line with the rest of the pulleys. Maybe it had way to much tension? How tight should the belt be?

I know as I was working on the tune for the car, a few issues were causing it to stall and when the engine died i could hear the belt squeal.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:02 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris@CBR
My kit does not use the auto tensioner. I have sold hundreds of them and not one complaint.
What I'm getting at is the fact that the setup doesn't use a tensioner is not the reason for your belt failure.
Is you belt alignment ok?

I have one on my car!!!!!

no issues....

and Chris, you will remember me as mine was the one you cut down for a motor plate setup.

if you use aftermarket fuel rails, you will need either a 90* fitting or a 180* fitting on the front of the passenger fuel rail

Old 07-23-2014, 10:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do remember, you where out of the country when you called me the first time.
Thanks for posting the pic's! I like to see what guys are putting them on.
Looks like you got that super charger locked down good tying the J bracket to the motor plate.

To GRP, could post a pic or two of your setup? We may be able to help you find you problem.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:54 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Soundengineer, how did you mount a tensioner over by the power steering pump? I like your setup, but I'm guessing you custom made it yourself?

I already have the alternator mounted up high. If i could add a tensioner by bolting it into the system some how that would be great and I think solve my issues.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:45 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gpr
Soundengineer, how did you mount a tensioner over by the power steering pump? I like your setup, but I'm guessing you custom made it yourself?

I already have the alternator mounted up high. If i could add a tensioner by bolting it into the system some how that would be great and I think solve my issues.
the Alternator relocation kit...IS the serpentine belt tensioner
the serpentine pulley Under the power steering pump is Just the Original F-body Alternator Bracket
I still needed it for my belt routing

and yes... My Procharger Setup is Completely Custom
Designed by me.....

pretty much everything on the car is Custom...LOL

for my Procharger Cog Belt Tensioner
theres a block on the back side that the pulley is mounted to.
and a block with threads and a Stud with and Allen Head beneath that
the stud pushes up on the block attached to the Pulley
theres also a nut welded to the bracket standoff so that I have something to stabilize the stud and to be able to use a locknut to lock the stud in place
once I get it where I want it, I lock the stud with a nylon lock nut and I tighten the pulley bolt up to suck it in against the plate...
there is a small spacer on the back side of the pulley to keep it from touching the plate so it can spin freely

I used the pieces off of a Small Block Ford F1 Bracket....
Block, Pulley, spacer....
then I bought an allen head stud to use since I needed a different style bolt than the Procharger kit had
(I had originally bought the Supercharger and a SBF Bracket from somebody with no intentions of using the bracket...I bout it at a steal, and it just happened to have some extra pieces that I ended up converting to use on my bracket)

this is everything minus the CBR Alternator relocation Tensioner/Bracket and my Vacuum Pump

Last edited by soundengineer; 07-24-2014 at 06:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Alternator Relocation with Auto Tensioner?