Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Question for poly motor mounts for aps or other guys running poly mounts.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 08:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Question for poly motor mounts for aps or other guys running poly mounts.

I have poly mounts as per supplied with my aps kit. I think my car has some big vibration issues past 80mph or so. I have tried a lot of different things and actually have not tried the car at that speed for awhile so maybe the problem is gone now but thought would ask it anyway.
Do you guys notice a lot of vibration from the poly mounts especially at high speeds. Mine was actually shaking the wheel at speeds past 80.
I did try various things like switching tires and rims and pretty sure checked wheel alignment as well. .Also spent a lot of time playing with my torque arm. Its mounted to the trans adapter crossmember since no torque arm provision on my 4l80. I think am using a rubber trans mount still .

Anyone not running the poly mounts with the aps . Anyone running stock rubber mounts instead of the poly ones. I was worried about maybe two things if went back to rubber. One would be burning them but do have the aps manifolds coated and also coated the turbos. But other thing is that the power would quickly rip up the stock mounts . But was maybe thinking a torque strap idea might help. I would also think solid mounts would be a lot worse for vibration.

I do have to repeat a high speed run but finding it hard around here to find a nice straight road where can really let her rip. And our local track is only 1/8 mile.
I also put in a carbon fiber driveshaft as last mod before put car away into storage year or so back. And the engine has a fluidampr and pretty sure the vibration is not engine related. Maybe its stall converter or trans problem but car seems to be fine at lower speeds . Only once you pass 80mph or so that vibration would get worse and worse .
Old 09-13-2014, 12:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran poly mounts on my car when it had the APS setup on it. In fact it still has poly mounts on it now. Never had the shaking issue you have. My first thought would be to check your tire balance, but you said you have done that.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Poly mounts here, no problem with vibration
Old 09-14-2014, 04:33 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Check tyres...and driveshaft.

The problem is unlikely to be the engine mounts, especially if it is roadspeed related.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:17 AM
11 Second Club

Sounds like a bad idea to have poly mounts and stock trans mount...
Old 09-14-2014, 05:25 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by scotty2000ss
Sounds like a bad idea to have poly mounts and stock trans mount...
I've had solid motor mounts and factory rubber T56 mount for the last 10 years.

No problems here.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wheel balance, driveshaft angle, driveshaft balance
The following users liked this post:
James Martin (07-22-2020)
Old 09-14-2014, 06:19 AM
11 Second Club

Not sure if this will help any but here goes.

I recently had this same issue and went through all the things everyone is saying and could not find the problem. I checked everything besides the back tire balance which ended up being the problem. Come to find out one of my tires had been spinning on the rim and when I put the drag radials on I found a big pile of rubber shavings. Problem solved.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:25 AM
9 Second Club

You are saying you put a CF driveshaft on last year...

So clarify what changes, if any were made between no vibration, and vibration.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never ran an APS kit on mine but with forward facing stock truck manifolds, motor mounts would melt like wax. Rubber or Poly. Had to go solid.

Quick Reply: Question for poly motor mounts for aps or other guys running poly mounts.