Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Good IVO\IVC\EVO\EVC for 383CI blower cam??? Would this Tick Performance cam work ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 12:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lightbulb Good IVO\IVC\EVO\EVC for 383CI blower cam??? Would this Tick Performance cam work ???

Im in the market for the perfect cam for my car.I also try to learn

What should be the average cam IVO\IVC\EVO\EVC for a 4" stroke 383ci and stock LS6 intake.

After some search in the archive, i did found from a cam guru here on the board that a really good IVC should be at 43 degree ABDC :"With a 4" stroke engine and LS6 manifold(both truck and LS1/LS6/LS3/LS2/L76 etc. have runners roughly 10" long as I've measured them) this puts the intake valve closing event pretty much identical@.050" in terms of piston position in the bore."

But what about the rest???

Someone gotta know this

For cam spec go to post #2

Thanks
Eric

Last edited by always faster; 10-11-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok with all the mods in sig, would this cam work well with my setup :
227/243 | .62x”/.62x” | LSA116+6

Correct me if im wrong about thses facts:

-Intake centerline : 110
-Exhaust centerline: 122

IVO is 3.5 ° BTDC ( - indicates ATDC)
IVC is 43.5 ° ABDC
EVO is 63.5 ° ATDC ( - indicates BTDC)
EVC is -0.5 ° BBDC
Overlap is 3 °

A good IVC for 4 inch stroke with stock ls6 intake is 43.This cam is at 43.5 i think it looks good.
The small overlap is also pretty good.

But what about the rest...does it look ok and why???

Thanks
Eric

Last edited by always faster; 10-13-2014 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Dont be shy

This 3 years project only need a good cam to make everything perfect
Old 10-12-2014, 06:05 PM
8 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I have used lil john for my procharger setups
http://www.liljohnsmotorsports.com/
Old 10-12-2014, 11:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by stmz28
I have used lil john for my procharger setups
http://www.liljohnsmotorsports.com/

Well thanks , if i dont get clear answer here from member or cam guru , ill give them a shot.

Would still like answers to my questions
Old 10-13-2014, 07:42 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Give Tick a call, they are pretty sharp on camshafts.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Dont wanna go into personnal stuff but my english speaking is pretty bad, so i do all my stuff by mail.I cant call him since i wont be able to follow the conversation and understand all the precise detail.

I ve sent him(Martin) some emails and got an first answer 4 days ago, since then nothing, he must be pretty busy since he seems so on demand here, so i thought about finding/learning info myself instead of waiting.I ve search a lot in the archive and read a lot.

Even my english writting could be hard to read...sorry
But 3 years and 25k$ later i did find a way to order all the right stuff from the US
Old 10-13-2014, 10:59 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

First off I apologize for any inconvenience posed by the delay in my response time. I realize that a lot of you guys are trying to get your builds finished and squared away and that waiting on a response from me for days on end can be a turn off.

On Friday I was getting my car ready to race this weekend and at a race all weekend. Racing our own cars and testing our products is very important to us as is showing our customers that we are racers at heart just like you all are.

On to the cam selection. The camshaft you have selected is designed for a stock stroke application. In a stock stroke application with square port heads a 43* intake valve close event is desirable, but in a 4" stroke application the valve events will need to be changed to correspond with the added piston speed the longer stroke crank creates.

This means the IVC event must occur later as well as the EVO event occurring earlier. Overlap should be increased slightly, but not to the extent that it is detrimental to power production.

I would recommend a custom camshaft for your application since I do not have a shelf grind for 4" stroke motors. However, I do have many camshafts that I have used in 4" stroke square port blower applications that will do very well in your application.

I hope this helps and I'll be glad to answer any further questions you might have.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
First off I apologize for any inconvenience posed by the delay in my response time. I realize that a lot of you guys are trying to get your builds finished and squared away and that waiting on a response from me for days on end can be a turn off.

On Friday I was getting my car ready to race this weekend and at a race all weekend. Racing our own cars and testing our products is very important to us as is showing our customers that we are racers at heart just like you all are.

On to the cam selection. The camshaft you have selected is designed for a stock stroke application. In a stock stroke application with square port heads a 43* intake valve close event is desirable, but in a 4" stroke application the valve events will need to be changed to correspond with the added piston speed the longer stroke crank creates.

This means the IVC event must occur later as well as the EVO event occurring earlier. Overlap should be increased slightly, but not to the extent that it is detrimental to power production.

I would recommend a custom camshaft for your application since I do not have a shelf grind for 4" stroke motors. However, I do have many camshafts that I have used in 4" stroke square port blower applications that will do very well in your application.

I hope this helps and I'll be glad to answer any further questions you might have.
Well thanks Martin i knew you where busy, could you shoot me a pm or answer here, its up to you, with what you got in stock and that would work for me.
Also if you got time could you spec me a custom cam, for my setup.

Drivebility is the most important for me.Its a street car that will see some track but nothing serious.

-I have no problem with ruff idle , really like it, i like the fact that everyone knows that its not stock...
-Idle under 900 rpm(750 to 850 ), right now with the improper cam(240/244@113 on XER lobe) my tuner put the idle at 1000rpm and i hate it...
-The V3SI will be running 8-10 psi
-I want it to take advantage of my setup(383, fully ported heads with bigger valve, etc etc ,see sig)
-I want it to be street friendly no surge or bucking or anything,this car will see strip for fun but its a 100% street car
-Vavletrain friendly
-Kinda easy to tune so no huge lsa overlap,some says that negative one make it easier for everything.
-Running some kooks green cats(dont know if it change anything)
-Keeping a good mpg would be nice too but i do know that i cant get everything .

By the way if you think that only a custom cam will totally fit all my need.Spec me one and i ll take it
If you need more info just let me know.
Thanks
Eric

Last edited by always faster; 10-13-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:53 PM
FormerVendor

I was thrown off by the cam you selected as it is designed for a square port LS3 application. I now see that you have a 383" motor with Stage 2.5 LS6 heads from PRC and a LS6 intake.

A cathedral port head by design needs a later IVC event than a square port head. This is due to the cathedral port head having a smaller cross sectional area than the square port head.

I do not have a cam on the shelf that would be optimal for your application, but I can have a custom cam ground and shipped to most locations in the 48 continental United States in 5-10 business days.

What is your email address? I was looking for our email chain, but didn't have any luck finding it.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was thrown off by the cam you selected as it is designed for a square port LS3 application. I now see that you have a 383" motor with Stage 2.5 LS6 heads from PRC and a LS6 intake.

A cathedral port head by design needs a later IVC event than a square port head. This is due to the cathedral port head having a smaller cross sectional area than the square port head.

I do not have a cam on the shelf that would be optimal for your application, but I can have a custom cam ground and shipped to most locations in the 48 continental United States in 5-10 business days.

What is your email address? I was looking for our email chain, but didn't have any luck finding it.
We first talk by private on corvetteforums.
Im the canadian guy using the broker warehouse of a friend in NY 12919
5-10 days is with standard shipping right ??? Would probably take 2 days shippings .

Lets go for a custom cam that would fit all my request.
Send me the spec by pm ,then a paypal invoice request by email.
Cut me a deal on a 2XL T-shirt

Again if theres info missing for you in my sig just ask and i ll answer very quickly

Address: alwaysfaster@hotmail.com
Old 10-13-2014, 05:50 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

I was going to say. 43 degrees is way too early for a 4" stroke in a cathedral port application.

Some of the best centrifugal blower cams come from Arun @ CCP (now with Dasilva), and one of the most popular is the Jam Cam. I think Brian Tooley sells it as well. Lots of 347 + YSi combos running 1000rwhp with that cam. It works with the 3.9" and 4" strokes as well as a lot of AES 390 guys use it too. It's a 230/242 115 cam.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:55 PM
FormerVendor

Email sent. PM's are disabled.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Email sent. PM's are disabled.
Form has been filled and email has been returned

Quick Reply: Good IVO\IVC\EVO\EVC for 383CI blower cam??? Would this Tick Performance cam work ???