Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

newb trying to build boost with 2 step question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newb trying to build boost with 2 step question

I have a 98 trans am ls1 6 speed with on3 76mm turbo kit installed, 243 ported heads with blower cam. Anyways last time I ran at the track was pretty horrible lol. So I decided to install the msd 2 step to help build boost when I launch it. Got it set at 3500 for right now but it doesn't build any boost at all, my boost gauge (innovate scg1) actually still reads some vacuum. Is there something I'm not doing right?

Last edited by dieselman88; 06-20-2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Also noticed my afr went really lean, shouldn't it be super rich with all the excess fuel dumped in the exhaust?
Old 06-20-2015, 11:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dieselman88
I have a 98 trans am ls1 6 speed with on3 76mm turbo kit installed, 243 ported heads with blower cam. Anyways last time I ran at the track was pretty horrible lol. So I decided to install the msd 2 step to help build boost when I launch it. Got it set at 3500 for right now but it doesn't build any boost at all, my boost gauge (innovate scg1) actually still reads some vacuum. Is there something I'm not doing right?
Does your scg-1 read 0 vac with key on engine off? And the correct vac reading at idle? Varified with another vac Guage?
Old 06-21-2015, 12:02 AM
On The Tree

Yes it reads 0 with engine off. Seems to pull around 15-17" of vacuum at idle. I don't have a vacuum gauge to verify it but when it was getting dyno tuned it matched the tuners readings. The best I can get it to do is 0psi, but when I let out you can hear the bov. How long can you hold the car on 2 step without damaging anything?
Old 06-21-2015, 06:36 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

And what rpm would you normally build boost on at high load on the road ?

And no, the wideband will always indicate lean when there is excess oxygen passing through the engine and onto the sensor.

ie any non firing condition of the engine.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't the timing need to be retarded also to start building significant boost?
Old 06-21-2015, 07:04 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by alocker
Doesn't the timing need to be retarded also to start building significant boost?

Ideally yes there would be adjustments to timing and fuel in order to build boost under these conditions.

But if you're using enough launch rpm with some for of basic rpm limiter then it should still be able to build a little. But if he's far below the threshold where it normally builds boost then a basic 2 step offers no chance of building boost.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:21 AM
Launching!

Are you at wot on the two step?
Old 06-21-2015, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Need to make a video of my car while I'm driving to see what rpm it starts building boost. I'm holding it at wot, the 2 step is set at 3500 right now.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I imagine that you might be making 1-2psi of boost at that rpm but once you launch the car it must hit pretty hard. I have a similar setup but no 2step yet. On the road i hit 2psi around 3000rpm with my controller on low.On high i can be at 7psi in 3rd at 3000rpm and full 12 by 3700 and then hold on for the ride.

I dont know how much boost your running but i know mine can be lazy when my controller is low but makes driving around the city easier.

If you dont have a seperate boost gauge directly off the turbo then i highly suggest you get one.This is how I can easily compare what my vac/boost gauge from my map sensor vs my boost controller. I simply bought a brass npt fitting with a barb end and drill/tapped the turbo and directly see what boost is at the turbo vs what the motor gets after the going through the cooler etc.Its handy as there is a drop in pressure.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

The innovate scg1 is a boost/wideband gauge with a built in boost controller. I believe it gets the boost refrence from the map sensor it came with which I have it hooked up to a vacuum block that I have tapped into the brake booster hose. Car is set on 10 psi. Haven't it ran it at the track, just installed the 2 step and was making sure everything was working before I took it back. Seems like it should build a little or at least hear it spool up some. But I'm new to all this so I'm still learning lol
Old 06-21-2015, 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I'd change the source of the boost reference. Just my preference to go directly from the turbo itself and not use the map and the vacuum lines from there. My tuner agreed the sometimes using vacuum t's so close to the map can mess with the readings. Plus the boost controller will be accurate of what the turbo itself is doing and better control. It's working great for me.

As for the mad 2 step I can't comment on. I'm trying not to build much boost off the line as I'm just spinning crazy tire lol.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Well the actual boost controller does get its refrence from the compressor side of the turbo, have it hooked up the way the instructions had it in the manual.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dieselman88
Well the actual boost controller does get its refrence from the compressor side of the turbo, have it hooked up the way the instructions had it in the manual.
A couple things, and this is just my experience with the scg-1 And also my first boosted setup,so im learning as well.
My ebc reference is off my fuel pressure regulator vac line which is direct to intake, nothing else is tee'd to that. That way there's no air "flow" or fluctuations. I feel any boost source other than intake is not accurate for such an important controlling device (wg control) because the compressor side boost is not the same pressure that the engine is "seeing".
Also, i had a problem with my brake booster check valve. I couldn't figure out where my boost was "going",i kept upping wg springs and while learning how to use the scg-1 i was chasing my tail On that one.
With the scg-1,there's no "desired" boost setting. I don't know if all/most boost controllers work this way but you achieve desired boost with your wg spring setting and the duty cycle % setting. The more DC %,the more boost is directed to the top of the wg. The higher i set the gain setting,the harder/faster it reacts to the wg spring setting.
Is this how most ebc's work?
Old 06-21-2015, 04:43 PM
9 Second Club

Most EBC's work purely on a duty as opposed to an actual desired boost target. Which in this day and age is really odd.

But they still do. There may be a small handful that work via targets ( most will still require a base setup with respect to duty though, but after that selecting boost settings is easier )
Old 06-21-2015, 05:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Most EBC's work purely on a duty as opposed to an actual desired boost target. Which in this day and age is really odd.

But they still do. There may be a small handful that work via targets ( most will still require a base setup with respect to duty though, but after that selecting boost settings is easier )
I agree, it would be nice to set a desired boost setting and the ebc does "whatever it takes" on it's own to achieve that.
For ex.. DC,gain etc.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:23 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT1PWRD
I agree, it would be nice to set a desired boost setting and the ebc does "whatever it takes" on it's own to achieve that.
For ex.. DC,gain etc.

Gain is a different variable, and would be much harder to be automated. The process of trying to learn this aspect would almost be self defeating, as the learning process would slow down the ramp, which the gain is trying to speed up.

But the controller should be able to learn control duties required within a few pulls which could then form the base table ( seen or unseeen by user ), without the user doing too much which would then mean all boost is done via targets selected by the end user

It isnt hard to do manually of course, but given modern electronics it really should require no effort from the customer or tuner.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
It isnt hard to do manually of course, but given modern electronics it really should require no effort from the customer or tuner.
Amen to that.....

Quick Reply: newb trying to build boost with 2 step question