Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Idea for a compact air to water intercooler...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idea for a compact air to water intercooler...

I was tossing an idea around with some of my students last year about an intercooler design for a cramped engine bay...

Essentially, one would still use the cold side tubing in a typical turbo setup but would eliminate the "tank" intercooler and run straight tubing in it's place.

The intercooler idea I'm contemplating is essentially a common idea in hot water tank heat exchangers using a coiled liquid filled tubing run the entire length of the cold side tubing from turbo outlet to throttle body.

Something like this tubing coiled inside the charge piping, sort of like a spring in a can.

The air would flow through this spiraled cold aluminum tubing and heat sink.

Obviously you would still need a heat exchanger to cool the water after it runs through the coils and soaks up the heat from the air in the charge pipe, but this heat exchanger could be thinner and smaller and possibly have a dedicated fan and be placed somewhere else in the vehicle.

In a fantasy world, the coiled tubing could be filled with something other than water like a refrigerant that would get super cold under pressure, with a dedicated electric compressor.

Just a thought I was throwing around to help out the sleeper-devoted crowd...

Feel free to throw me some constructive criticism, especially if you're an engineer.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:13 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

My initial thought would be not enough surface area for how fast the air is going to be traveling past it.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:34 PM
10 Second Club

^^^ My thaughts exactly.
Those types of heat exchangers are not meat to heat/cool @ high volumes of water flow. That's why heater cores/radiators/ATW intercoolers have very thin areas of liquid and a high tube to fin contact area to dissapate very quickly. I do give you props for trying to think outside the box. : )
Old 08-17-2015, 01:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
My initial thought would be not enough surface area for how fast the air is going to be traveling past it.
That was my initial thought too... but these double coils routed over what could be 4-6 feet of tubing may calculate out to more than the standard plate and fin intercoolers. I also think that the reduction in surface area could be alleviated by the fact that this is a air to water system and not an air to air.

Maybe I should do some calculations and see what an average air to water intercooler amounts to as far as surface area. This may be a pretty simple system to build and test.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:14 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

I would just do simple calcs on what your desired output Temp is, and factor how much heat you need to shed and assuming some realistic inlet Temp. If you can do that delta with the surface area you have without needing some absurd delta across it, try it out in real life.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

what would the coils be made out of? and how would they be secured in the cold side piping? I also give you credit for thinking outside the box, ideas like these are fun to ponder.

filling them with a refrigerant is another cool idea. I think I read somewhere awhile back where someone had an idea like that.

YOUR SOURCE FOR ALL THINGS TURBO!
CASEY@HURONSPEED.COM
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
TWITTER @HURONSPEED
Old 08-17-2015, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Huron Speed
what would the coils be made out of? and how would they be secured in the cold side piping? I also give you credit for thinking outside the box, ideas like these are fun to ponder.

filling them with a refrigerant is another cool idea. I think I read somewhere awhile back where someone had an idea like that.
At first consideration, I'd say the coils would be aluminum. In my head I imagine rubber isolators placed occasionally to keep the coils floating in the pipe but also from banging against the inside of the piping and rubbing a hole and causing a leak.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:55 PM
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Condensation would be an issue with a refrigerant
Old 08-17-2015, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by n3mi5is
Condensation would be an issue with a refrigerant
Oh right. Good call.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice idea, but there is insufficient surface area to pull the heat out the air. Also the airflow around those coils would not be great!

The refrigerant idea could be better as you have a higher delta T between the boosted air and the cooler. However you would need a MASSIVE AC ink to remove that kind of heat! Stock car stuff dose not have the capacity. Guys have tried it with the killer chiller (cooling water in a conventional air to water setup). It would take several min of driving around to cool the water down to around ambient. You wouldn't have the luxury of that same thermal mass as what they had!

There are already some pretty compact ideas out there. LPE has an intercooler intake manifold that's very neat. Frozen boost have some interesting shaped cores that look liked squared off PWR barrel coolers.

The thing to remember is you can't get anything for nothing in this world. You you want cool intakes you have to put suitable sized coolers in there. On and air to water that means on both sides to!
Old 08-20-2015, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

I wonder if this would have any better performance if the coils were made out of copper versus aluminum.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:41 PM

Maybe it worth to build 2 stage intercooler
first stage is to reduce temperature to ambient with air to air intercooler.
second stage is to drop from ambient to lowest possible with freon to air intercooler.

Old 12-14-2019, 05:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

Keep in mind you would have to cool down 300+ degs air in a short time (distance).
Back in my old super stock days, we used a cool can, fuel ran thru a coil inside a can
filled with ice. I had thought at one time cooling the fuel might help, but with the higher
vol of fuel for fuel inj. prob wouldnt work. I was thinking of rem. my A/A IC'er once, replacing
it with about 3' of straight pipe. If there was some way of externally attaching fins (like a
heat syn trans cooler) it might draw away some heat, but prob not enough to help.
They have those nitrous spray bars for IC'ers, but we run boost so we dont need nitrous, lol.

Quick Reply: Idea for a compact air to water intercooler...