Old 06-14-2016, 11:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gf's point of view for dinner. I told her it was on display until it got put in

SFI rated ultra-billet polybutalane extra magnum stainless flexplate
Old 06-15-2016, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

You gotta change out those rubber cooler lines for at least braided or preferably metal at least in the tranny area. That is a disaster waiting to happen. Just looking out for you!!!
Old 06-15-2016, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 69-chvl
You gotta change out those rubber cooler lines for at least braided or preferably metal at least in the tranny area. That is a disaster waiting to happen. Just looking out for you!!!

I put in a brand new TH400 last week, with rubber lines. Had one pop off idling in the driveway. I was very fortunate that it didn't happen going down the road. Changed them to stainless the next day.

Name:  20160607_201614.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  151.3 KB

Last edited by svslow; 06-15-2016 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:35 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by svslow
1984 SVO Mustang - 4.8, FI S475, FTI TH400, Circle D Converter
[/URL]
I had an 86 SVO in silver. It looked just like that except for stock wheel. I bet your 4.8 is a hell of an upgrade!
Old 06-15-2016, 10:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do ever paint the car, the Saturn yellow Buick GSX's are pretty much the sexiest cars ever. Love that paint scheme.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

AWESOME! even had dinner with it! i have my brand new sheet metal intake and billet throttle body for my galant sitting on the kitchen counter.

that the same $100 trans you modded?

thanks for the video. i know i have seen it many times, but im a jew and didnt want to by a converter. i called Jakes on monday and talked to them, ordered a billet cover tig welded custom stall unit. lots of money. but nice to hear again that it will be worth it, especially from someone that littlery has just swapped them around.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by anarchy99
If you do ever paint the car, the Saturn yellow Buick GSX's are pretty much the sexiest cars ever. Love that paint scheme.

I could never do it.. haha
Old 06-16-2016, 12:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by turbohf
AWESOME! even had dinner with it! i have my brand new sheet metal intake and billet throttle body for my galant sitting on the kitchen counter.

that the same $100 trans you modded?

thanks for the video. i know i have seen it many times, but im a jew and didnt want to by a converter. i called Jakes on monday and talked to them, ordered a billet cover tig welded custom stall unit. lots of money. but nice to hear again that it will be worth it, especially from someone that littlery has just swapped them around.

Yessir! Have to welcome the parts to the family. Yes same $100 tranny, with gifted clutches from my friend James and some knowledge from the internet (Jakes article) and another friend Cameron. So far so good, you won't be dissapointed.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:11 AM
Launching!

Old 06-16-2016, 12:14 AM
Launching!

I was having issues with the tranny not shifting manually when the car was in any sort of positive pressure (boost). So I did some research and ended up stealing one of the many vacuum check valves off the Fairmont. I put it in line of the manifold>Th400 mod to make sure the modulator is only seeing vacuum. There are plenty of opinions on this matter out there, as for my real world experience this helped 100% and fixed the issue. So I did all the mods outlined by Jake in his article and the car shifts automatically in drive just fine, and I could explode it in any gear I want to at any given time. **** yeah
Old 07-02-2016, 07:49 PM
Launching!

So I have some good news....

Old 07-02-2016, 07:50 PM
Launching!

Old 07-03-2016, 11:32 AM
Launching!

Of course as soon as I get the car running well I am already contemplating what to do next. We have a no prep event in september that I am entered in and I want to make a showing, not just show up. I am trying to decide what things I want to do to the car before then.

I will for sure be putting in the gold box. Maybe even next weekend
Different turbo? Turbossss? Add a second 76/68?
gen 4 rods and flat tops
cam swap, trick flow 216 maybe
might have to add another pump, or a different pump
transbrake?
I will probably trade my B&M from my other car if I can to see if it fixes the shift problem
The theory behind that being that the motor and trans flex under load and since the column shift linkage is bolted to the frame the throw gets all fucked up.
This happened to my other car also, so I believe we will just have to go to a floor shift

anyways just thinking outloud, any input is greatly appreciated. Anyone that no prep races or anything else, if you have opinions, tips or tricks let me know. Curious about foot braking vs trans.. obviously footbrake has to be a disadvantage in a turbo car on 1/8 mile.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I have only done one no-prep event and I would say put a good set of tires on it, and I would definitely go with a trans-brake. The big thing you need to consider is getting some seat time. That's a lot of changes you're talking about for a race that's two months away. Focus on maximizing the combo you have now and get consistent with it.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:05 PM
Launching!

Yeah I agree. I have been thinking on the shifting thing and I changed my mind. I think the check Valve is helping but I am probably going to need either a second valve or some kind of pressure bleed off that way when I hit solid boost its Bueno. I'll try a few things and see what happens with shifting it.
Yes I am getting another set of tires, going with Mickey drag radials. Also I have been going to a shitpile of events and there are a bunch more coming, so I am on track with your advice! I think it's good advice lol as far as changing stuff I will see what comes up. I'd still really like to get a set of rods and Pistons in it. Gen4s with flat tops. Swap to the gold box also
Old 07-05-2016, 06:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 241 Likes on 168 Posts

Transgo has a valve that lets boost out, but allows vacuum to still work with the trans-kind of a simple thing, I use it on my trans
It tees off the line to the mod.
With just a ck valve in line, the vac. cant go to atmosphere
Old 07-06-2016, 01:05 PM
10 Second Club

Awesome build!
Old 07-08-2016, 06:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by forcd ind
Transgo has a valve that lets boost out, but allows vacuum to still work with the trans-kind of a simple thing, I use it on my trans
It tees off the line to the mod.
With just a ck valve in line, the vac. cant go to atmosphere
I use the same Ck valve works well. Here it is in link below.

http://www.transgo.com/products.php?...eyword=VBP-VAC
Old 07-08-2016, 08:43 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I already had a check valve installed but I found a thread with "ronnovass" or something talking about a single check valve not being enough. I took a second check valve and Tee'd it after the first one. It lets any pressure past the first one out but doesn't let allow vacuum to escape. I have a little video I'll throw up explaining it for anyone needing the info. It made the car shift PERFECT.

Had a shitpile of oil getting blown out of everywhere so I was chasing that issue before the track tonight. I put 2 breathers in with ziptied rags so that's my fix for now. It didn't seem to be pushing much after my last pull late last night. Here's to the track!
Old 07-08-2016, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 186 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtylark71
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I already had a check valve installed but I found a thread with "ronnovass" or something talking about a single check valve not being enough. I took a second check valve and Tee'd it after the first one. It lets any pressure past the first one out but doesn't let allow vacuum to escape. I have a little video I'll throw up explaining it for anyone needing the info. It made the car shift PERFECT.

Had a shitpile of oil getting blown out of everywhere so I was chasing that issue before the track tonight. I put 2 breathers in with ziptied rags so that's my fix for now. It didn't seem to be pushing much after my last pull late last night. Here's to the track!
How much oil was in it after your last pull? Could be the reason it stopped!

Quick Reply: "Low down & dirty" 5.3-78/75-TH400 Skylark 11.25@122