Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Plug recommendation? 76mm Turbo Silverado 5.3 10.5:1 E85 flex fuel tune 10-12psi

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Plug recommendation? 76mm Turbo Silverado 5.3 10.5:1 E85 flex fuel tune 10-12psi

Just like the title says, I'm stuck between BR7EF and TR6. Combo is a Silverado regular cab, 10.5:1 5.3, Tick stage 1 turbo cam, 76mm turbo, looking at 10-12psi and will run both E85 and 91. Daily driver.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:15 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

tr6 .024
Old 03-01-2016, 05:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by denmah
tr6 .024
denmah I've seen you recommend this plug time and time again. What's the reason for this? Seems there's three camps:

1. guys like you that recommend TR6 time and time again
2. 95% of tech guys who say BR7
3. guys like Martin@Tick and a couple others who recommend projected tip plugs
Old 03-01-2016, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have ran both...but ultimately came back to the br7ef. Truck ran damn good on the tr6 but I let the tech guys scare me away from it. 10 to 12 psi I'd go with what Matt suggested.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

I'm glad this was brought up, I have an l33 all forged with dart heads and I just bought some tr6 plugs that I'm getting ready to run for my motor break in around 8lbs. after motor is broke in going to up boost to 15 lbs. was wondering if the br7ef plug can be bought in extruded or non extruded and which one is actually better for boost? any input greatly appreciated.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by boostedxs
I'm glad this was brought up, I have an l33 all forged with dart heads and I just bought some tr6 plugs that I'm getting ready to run for my motor break in around 8lbs. after motor is broke in going to up boost to 15 lbs. was wondering if the br7ef plug can be bought in extruded or non extruded and which one is actually better for boost? any input greatly appreciated.
That's where I'm at. I threw some TR6's I had laying around from my vette and I put them in without changing the gap (they're at .045 or so) but I've just been diddling around town off boost to shake it down. Headed to the dyno in 3 weeks and don't want to burden the hassle with a plug change there obviously... Ideally I want a parts store plug. I like something I can get delivered to my shop the same day on the O'Reilly account just like my oil...
Old 03-01-2016, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

I hear ya brother, the tr6 plugs I have in now are gapped at .028 which are just the regular copper plugs which i chose because i wanted to be able to easily read the plugs during tuning and break in. I'm certainly not new to boost but I don't have any run time yet on this l33 so I can't give you any true experience on how they should be gapped but I know guys on here have tried every combination you can think of. My personal experience is that every engine is slightly different so I believe it's always best to try diff things and see the true results. I have searched threads on here and noticed how some people say use extruded plugs and some say non extruded tips from boost. if I don't get a good answer I'm gonna research the **** outta this or I'll just use my l33 as a guinea pig haha
Old 03-01-2016, 08:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Br7ef
Old 03-01-2016, 09:02 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lxcoupe
denmah I've seen you recommend this plug time and time again. What's the reason for this? Seems there's three camps:

1. guys like you that recommend TR6 time and time again
2. 95% of tech guys who say BR7
3. guys like Martin@Tick and a couple others who recommend projected tip plugs
honestly you cant go wrong with either one, i think low boost(under 14psi) on a street driven truck is no problem for a TR6

or even medium boost 18-20 with water/meth

but if you are going to do intercooled and pumpgas no meth over and 14psi the BR7 is a smarter choice.

it all depends on setup and tune but i always tune more on the conservative side so maybe thats why i have zero issues with the hotter than the sun projected tip tr6 lol and maybe some other people are on the edge and have issues unless running the br7?

i havent seen much of a difference going back and forth with them but the tr6 is usually muuuuch easier to get around where i live, could be the reason why i always run them?

but i saw that since you are running low boost, and a fairly hard to combust fuel e85. that the slightly hotter plug should work fine
Old 03-02-2016, 05:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by denmah
honestly you cant go wrong with either one, i think low boost(under 14psi) on a street driven truck is no problem for a TR6

or even medium boost 18-20 with water/meth

but if you are going to do intercooled and pumpgas no meth over and 14psi the BR7 is a smarter choice.

it all depends on setup and tune but i always tune more on the conservative side so maybe thats why i have zero issues with the hotter than the sun projected tip tr6 lol and maybe some other people are on the edge and have issues unless running the br7?

i havent seen much of a difference going back and forth with them but the tr6 is usually muuuuch easier to get around where i live, could be the reason why i always run them?

but i saw that since you are running low boost, and a fairly hard to combust fuel e85. that the slightly hotter plug should work fine
Thanks I appreciate it. I am going to keep the TR6's in the truck for the time being and swap to the Denso IT24's that the tuner likes. I really trust my tuner's preference, I just like to hear everyone's opinions.

Quick Reply: Plug recommendation? 76mm Turbo Silverado 5.3 10.5:1 E85 flex fuel tune 10-12psi