Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Supercharger vs Turbo.... OFFICIAL ARGUMENT THREAD.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 08:59 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
exactly. learn to utilize
Boost controller is cheaper

Attachment 534704

Last edited by oscs; 04-12-2016 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Nice thing about a turbo is when u break a ring land/piston with a turbo it makes it out the exhaust, takes out the turbo and most likely throws more **** into the motor when the compressor wheel explodes lol.

Superchargers... doesn't recirculate it's guts if something breaks and shoots into the exhaust.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by customblackbird
Nice thing about a turbo is when u break a ring land/piston with a turbo it makes it out the exhaust, takes out the turbo and most likely throws more **** into the motor when the compressor wheel explodes lol.

Superchargers... doesn't recirculate it's guts if something breaks and shoots into the exhaust.
Sounds like to me if you add a turbo all your **** will explode into a million pieces. The engine will take out the turbo, which intern takes out the engine 'again'. Got it.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I'm glad this is helpful info lol
Old 04-13-2016, 12:36 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

turbos are for civics and **** like that.

prochargers are for dudes who don't wear Affliction Tshirts, true religion jeans and white framed sun glasses
Old 04-13-2016, 01:06 AM
Teching In

Default Fuel sys

Would love to know how you built your fuel system. Any help is greatly appreciated. Need to support up to 900 rwhp
Old 04-13-2016, 01:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jay94bird
Would love to know how you built your fuel system. Any help is greatly appreciated. Need to support up to 900 rwhp
Stock fuel system works. Its easy, just need about 20psi and your stock LS1 to make 900rwhp.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Couldn't pay me to use a PD style blower. Centri or turbos or bust.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:36 AM
Teching In

Default ....

Originally Posted by GoodSpeed150
Stock fuel system works. Its easy, just need about 20psi and your stock LS1 to make 900rwhp.
I have the stock lt1 fuel syst. Which dual pumps and lines are everybody using with all that boost
Old 04-13-2016, 04:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Procharger promod maxes dyno at 4,400

Procharger maxes dyno at 4,400rwhp/

Jk procharger a can't make that much.
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...in-turbo-hemi/
Old 04-13-2016, 04:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
Couldn't pay me to use a PD style blower. Centri or turbos or bust.
What is this bust? I have been looking up bustacharger but All I am finding is pictures of broken F1xs.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:55 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

For me, I'm a street car, enjoy a/c, power steering, sway bars, but also like power.

So I was able to install a blower, retain everything just like factory, and make nearly 900 at the wheel, oh and have a civilized exhaust setup that still comes out the back of the car.

That was a tall task for a turbo. Trust me, I talked to a lot of people about it. I was told I'd have to move the radiator, or lose the a/c, or lose the sway bar, forget about having the exhaust exit out the rear, I'd need to have at least a cutout.

Also, lets not forget how critical all the pieces of a turbo puzzle need to be to play nicely together. A/r, cam specs, exhaust diameter and routing all play a role in having a setup work properly.

Just like it was said above, turbo setups require a lot of planning, fabrication, and even trial and error. So I'm not a fabricator, I can live with that. Maybe some day later in life I'll buy a welder, and spend some time learning to weld and I can fab my own setup.

Till then, I'll enjoy my no compromise 900rwhp setup street car.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
For me, I'm a street car, enjoy a/c, power steering, sway bars, but also like power.

So I was able to install a blower, retain everything just like factory, and make nearly 900 at the wheel, oh and have a civilized exhaust setup that still comes out the back of the car.

That was a tall task for a turbo. Trust me, I talked to a lot of people about it. I was told I'd have to move the radiator, or lose the a/c, or lose the sway bar, forget about having the exhaust exit out the rear, I'd need to have at least a cutout.

Also, lets not forget how critical all the pieces of a turbo puzzle need to be to play nicely together. A/r, cam specs, exhaust diameter and routing all play a role in having a setup work properly.

Just like it was said above, turbo setups require a lot of planning, fabrication, and even trial and error. So I'm not a fabricator, I can live with that. Maybe some day later in life I'll buy a welder, and spend some time learning to weld and I can fab my own setup.

Till then, I'll enjoy my no compromise 900rwhp setup street car.
^ This is why I'm leaning more towards procharger, finally a sensible post.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:26 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

It's not a right or wrong situation... each option represents different strengths and weaknesses.

One thing that makes me laugh, is the whole 'instant boost' argument for a turbo over a centri-blower...but once turbo guys start getting towards 4 digit power, they use boost controllers to control the ramp of boost, similar to a centri blower. Fact is, once a blower car is out of first gear, the difference in boost psi from 4000-redline isn't that dramatic.

Again, it's all about what you want. If you want more of a 'project' build, then a turbo is much more of a project due to the complexity of it.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:09 AM
Staging Lane

Again, it's all about what you want. If you want more of a 'project' build, then a turbo is much more of a project due to the complexity of it.
Totally agree. Honestly, after having owned my fbody for the last 7 years I enjoy working on it more than driving...sounds strange but true...studying, practicing the skills that don't come naturally, and slowly tinkering in the garage is the hobby...not driving the car.

As a kid I loved the sound of a procharger but now I find it annoying. Even my 6 year old gets it. "Dad, I don't want them to know we can beat them, we should surprise them". Yes I know...great parenting.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:17 AM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not a right or wrong situation... each option represents different strengths and weaknesses.

One thing that makes me laugh, is the whole 'instant boost' argument for a turbo over a centri-blower...but once turbo guys start getting towards 4 digit power, they use boost controllers to control the ramp of boost, similar to a centri blower. Fact is, once a blower car is out of first gear, the difference in boost psi from 4000-redline isn't that dramatic.

I disagree on the "project" aspect. I think people turn turbo cars into projects because Most can afford a $1,000 turbo and think all the other **** that goes with it is "cheap" and end up buying cheap crap that doesn't work and then filling up this section with stupid questions wondering why nothing works properly. Where as the initial cost of a SC is high but is generally complete from the start. That 3-4K minimum buy in scares stupid "China buyers" off. The guys that buy the right Turbo components and don't mess around with stupid **** usually get it right without a bunch of headache.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I have never owned a blown car but I have ridden in one and I own a turbo one now, makes 900 at the wheels. I can tell you the kick in the *** from a turbo when hitting full boost is something I have never experienced before and still have a hard time getting used to, it literally feels like you get rear ended by a train going 80 mph.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oscs
I disagree on the "project" aspect. I think people turn turbo cars into projects because Most can afford a $1,000 turbo and think all the other **** that goes with it is "cheap" and end up buying cheap crap that doesn't work and then filling up this section with stupid questions wondering why nothing works properly. Where as the initial cost of a SC is high but is generally complete from the start. That 3-4K minimum buy in scares stupid "China buyers" off. The guys that buy the right Turbo components and don't mess around with stupid **** usually get it right without a bunch of headache.
EXACTLY... I built mine right the first time, still retain a/c, and make 900whp.. its not a project, i enjoy the car and have minor issues sometimes but its only power/boost related, not because its turbocharged. Look at huron speed turbo kits, theyre full kits people can bolt on in a weekend lol.. so idk why alchemist and others are saying turbo cars are difficult.. they are more difficult than bolting up a blower, but the procharger kits on fbodys suck! the plumbing is horrible... i think huron speed offers a way better setup for adding power to an annoying f body engine bay.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Turbo make more power pre pound of boost, with that said NITROUS FTWMF!!
Old 04-13-2016, 09:35 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by Kmspeedie
EXACTLY... I built mine right the first time, still retain a/c, and make 900whp.. its not a project, i enjoy the car and have minor issues sometimes but its only power/boost related, not because its turbocharged. Look at huron speed turbo kits, theyre full kits people can bolt on in a weekend lol.. so idk why alchemist and others are saying turbo cars are difficult.. they are more difficult than bolting up a blower, but the procharger kits on fbodys suck! the plumbing is horrible... i think huron speed offers a way better setup for adding power to an annoying f body engine bay.
I have spoken in length with Huron when I built my motor 2 years ago, about going turbo, and they even said to me, with my list of needs, a turbo just wasn't the right option, that a F1a would be a better choice.

I'm not sure what plumbing you're talking about, it's actually pretty efficient.

Like I said, show me a fbody with a turbo, stock a/c, power steering, sway bar, even stock kmember with a catback making 900rwhp. I'm sure it can be done, but I didn't get a lot of hope from the people I talked to.

Quick Reply: Supercharger vs Turbo.... OFFICIAL ARGUMENT THREAD.