Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Supercharger vs Turbo.... OFFICIAL ARGUMENT THREAD.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 11:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 2BAD4U
So...... you're saying you can't make power with blowers? Lmfao
No he is not. Try reading for comprehension. I know it is hard but it can yield great dividends. LMFAO!
Old 04-18-2016, 11:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

^^^BTW, props on knowing wtf the word "you're" means.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:10 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

As for the whole crank pressure issue. I think the earlier f-body days gave a bad reputation for the blowers because they had static tensioners, and guys were cranking down on them to get rid of belt slip. The problem is as the rpms rise, the belt stretches, and you get slip. So they would crank down on them and put way too much pressure on them, at the end of the crank (more leverage), and cruising around at low rpms, it would be detrimental to the cranks and main bearings.

Move forward to today with setups that use spring loaded tensioners, which with the Aster bracket, is the same tensioner used on the 6-rib main accessory belt, and the pressure on the crank is far less, and belt slip is a thing of the past.

I'm not saying there isn't any additional force, there is, but with a forged crank, I don't see it being a concern for a car that gets driven 1000 miles a year.

Another question I have is about the guys claiming max power setups.... how come the big guys are running two big turbos to the one big procharger/vortech?
Old 04-19-2016, 07:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

listen smartass, obviously you can, I never negated that. What I'm trying to get people to focus on is the power output they do produce, which turbos dominate. Not how easy they are to install or how much it hurts your ***** to spend more time installing a turbo kit. Seems the only positive of a blower is how easy they bolt on... so when you lose to a turbo car, i mean hey, atleast you spent less time installing it right?
Old 04-19-2016, 08:24 AM
8 Second Club

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
As for the whole crank pressure issue. I think the earlier f-body days gave a bad reputation for the blowers because they had static tensioners, and guys were cranking down on them to get rid of belt slip. The problem is as the rpms rise, the belt stretches, and you get slip. So they would crank down on them and put way too much pressure on them, at the end of the crank (more leverage), and cruising around at low rpms, it would be detrimental to the cranks and main bearings.

Move forward to today with setups that use spring loaded tensioners, which with the Aster bracket, is the same tensioner used on the 6-rib main accessory belt, and the pressure on the crank is far less, and belt slip is a thing of the past.

I'm not saying there isn't any additional force, there is, but with a forged crank, I don't see it being a concern for a car that gets driven 1000 miles a year.

Another question I have is about the guys claiming max power setups.... how come the big guys are running two big turbos to the one big procharger/vortech?

First off what is rpms?

Second look at class racing once that really shows the difference in power adders

Take a f1x..... It runs against a single 88mm turbo

Guess how big of inducer the f1x has to be able to compete on a level performance with a 88mm turbo? Yes it is 106mm

Let a 106mm ind turbo run with a f1x and see the results.

And I don't wanna hear blah blah turbo spins faster, because you take an equivalent compressor it is turning at a similar rpm with a turbo

Here is a 106 Garrett..... Compare that to rated f1x speeds

Old 04-19-2016, 09:18 AM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Clearly you can't read very well.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:46 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I love how angry people get over this... it's almost as fun as the whole auto vs manual debates.

Keep it going guys... let it all out.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:22 AM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love how angry people get over this... it's almost as fun as the whole auto vs manual debates.

Well that's the point of this thread isn't it? Lol
Old 04-19-2016, 10:30 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by oscs
Well that's the point of this thread isn't it? Lol
Absolutely.

I just find it funny, the guys running blowers, love them, are happy with them, but recognize the merits of a turbo.

Turbo guys just hate blowers, and everyone who likes them. Is that because misery loves company?

Old 04-19-2016, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbo and auto is better everytime for every person in every application.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

what about tractor pulls? that lack of instant bottom end torque from a turbo would suck.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Absolutely.

I just find it funny, the guys running blowers, love them, are happy with them, but recognize the merits of a turbo.

Turbo guys just hate blowers, and everyone who likes them. Is that because misery loves company?

I see I'm not the only one who made that observation
Old 04-19-2016, 10:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

and a most of the FI blower/turbo guys hate on the nitrous guys...
Old 04-19-2016, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmspeedie
listen smartass, obviously you can, I never negated that. What I'm trying to get people to focus on is the power output they do produce, which turbos dominate. Not how easy they are to install or how much it hurts your ***** to spend more time installing a turbo kit. Seems the only positive of a blower is how easy they bolt on... so when you lose to a turbo car, i mean hey, atleast you spent less time installing it right?
Not everyone is going for absolute maximum power. Many people have a specific goal in mind, especially if it is primarily a street car.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:37 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by ShaunRF
Not everyone is going for absolute maximum power. Many people have a specific goal in mind, especially if it is primarily a street car.
Nope, not possible... Keep making more power, break stuff, build it for more power, break again, build it for power, till finally it's a track only car and you sell it because you realize it's not competitive and you can't afford to be competitive.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, not possible... Keep making more power, break stuff, build it for more power, break again, build it for power, till finally it's a track only car and you sell it because you realize it's not competitive and you can't afford to be competitive.
He is on the wrong forum. Nitromethanebigblocktech.com is that way >
Old 04-19-2016, 11:50 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Let's be honest, we're all guilty of constantly wanting more. A simple 'rebuild' turns into bigger cubes, bigger turbo/blower, bigger fuel system, bigger tires and suspension to be able to handle the additional power, and before you know it, you are at 1000+hp on the street, and then the track bug hits.

Not you realize that you're pretty fast, but a bigger turbo or blower would make you more competitive, as well as dropping 300lbs off the car.

Then you have some mild success, and want to go further.... it's a slippery slope. It's why I quit racing my car years ago. The cost vs reward just didn't add up to me.

So yes. I like that I have a simple, easy to maintain 900rwhp platform that didn't require me to custom fabricate or mount things, or remove a/c or sway bar, or toss the exhaust out the front bumper.

I enjoy my car, and my kids do as well, and that's what really matters to me, not an et, or a dyno number.

So instead of worrying and fixing, and upgrading, Im enjoying the experience.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
and a most of the FI blower/turbo guys hate on the nitrous guys...
I'm used to be a nitrous guy but I like the ease of making power with FI and having it at all times.

I've seen this happen plenty of times. It's not turbo/nitrous/blower specific but many people go way beyond what they should have and wind up not enjoying it anymore. As a result they get fed up and sell.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who's faster... Turbo guys or Super charger guys?
Old 04-19-2016, 01:04 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by scotty2000ss
Who's faster... Turbo guys or Super charger guys?
Well, at what level? Before anyone else jumps in, the fastest guys are superchaged, nitro guys.

Quick Reply: Supercharger vs Turbo.... OFFICIAL ARGUMENT THREAD.