Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Supercharger vs Turbo.... OFFICIAL ARGUMENT THREAD.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by scotty2000ss
Who's faster... Turbo guys or Super charger guys?
Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Well, at what level? Before anyone else jumps in, the fastest guys are superchaged, nitro guys.
Top fuel dragster.... With a biggggg blower belt.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:57 PM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Absolutely.

I just find it funny, the guys running blowers, love them, are happy with them, but recognize the merits of a turbo.

Turbo guys just hate blowers, and everyone who likes them. Is that because misery loves company?

I don't hate blowers, a lot of them work well in the out of the box configuration providing OEM like reliability for many years. But when leaning on them I got sick of replacing belts, pulleys, chasing heat soak issues, lack of in cabin boost control, and diminishing returns as I turned the boost up. Sold the blower stuff, went turbo and never looked back! Had a twin kit and two single setups since and none of them have had the issues the blowers did.

I think more people have blowers since the majority of people want a bolton and go solution that more companies offer via a supercharger. A large percentage of turbo kits are home grown and the people that build them are going to look to other DIY turbo owners for ideas and comparison to what works. Plus the people that built their own kit are usually a different breed compared to those that just do boltons so probably someone you could hang out and drink a beer with.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:19 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

As my kids get older, and my free time possibly increases, I would love to do a turbo kit, just to have done it and see if I like it.

My thing is, I like the 6-speed and rowing gears, and I've heard people say that turbos and sticks aren't ideal.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Heat issues are only with those stupid positive displacement blowers.

No issue with a stick and turbos. The problem is most people don't have the proper setup and/or run turbos that they can't optimize well.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:46 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I don't understand the people who say a centri blower is a heat problem. When I dyno tuned my car, after 3 pulls in a row, I was able to touch my blower and sure, it was warm, probably 120-140 degrees, but it wasn't glowing hot like a turbo or positive displacement blower.

Guess that meth injection into the inlet helps.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand the people who say a centri blower is a heat problem. When I dyno tuned my car, after 3 pulls in a row, I was able to touch my blower and sure, it was warm, probably 120-140 degrees, but it wasn't glowing hot like a turbo or positive displacement blower.

I can chime in for a turbo car as well, my exhaust housing is coated and having a blanket lets you be able to touch it after a dyno run.. yeah its worse for the turbo, but better for the engine bay. We all know turbos get super hot, but they're not as big of a deal as some people make.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Kmspeedie
listen smartass, obviously you can, I never negated that. What I'm trying to get people to focus on is the power output they do produce, which turbos dominate. Not how easy they are to install or how much it hurts your ***** to spend more time installing a turbo kit. Seems the only positive of a blower is how easy they bolt on... so when you lose to a turbo car, i mean hey, atleast you spent less time installing it right?
I'm tired of hearing how much power you can make with a turbo. YOU CAN MAKE JUST AS MUCH WITH A BLOWER. The install on my procharged car of course was much easier then my turbo car. Does that matter? No.... What matters is the purpose to which they were both built. Turbo cars and Blower cars BOTH can make little power or BIG power. They both can go slow... They Both can go fast. A BLOWER car can make more then a turbo car and a turbo car can make more then a blower car. THEY BOTH HAVE THEIR PLACE. (HENCE THE REASON THEY BOTH ARE MADE AND USED) If you want to argue that then..... You just might be a certain kinda special.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:49 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

This thread is specifically for people to get out their desire to argue...
Old 04-20-2016, 09:23 AM
8 Second Club

At what boost level and which intercooler? I've seen guys try to run the base intercooler at 20PSI and IAT's shoot up to 170+ first hit. I don't mess with dyno's much, its easier to test at the track. 3 dyno pulls is maybe one pass at the track. But I've also seen a nice properly sized core keep IAT's in check just fine just depends on the setup.

I agree that meth injection and E85 work wonders for heat control on both setups! My treadstone IC works well enough for the price but I am debating putting a meth kit back on the car for the warmer days. But even on a warm day and 25psi I've yet to see over 150 IAT which is fine with E85.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:31 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I run about 16psi of boost through a 4" ebay intercooler.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,307 Posts

...My thing is, I like the 6-speed and rowing gears, and I've heard people say that turbos and sticks aren't ideal.
Entirely dependent on the setup. I loved my 6 speed and turbo combo, except when trying to cut a good 60' at the track. On the street it was awesome.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:52 AM
8 Second Club

I run about 16psi of boost through a 4" ebay intercooler.
4" ebay core is probably better then the procharger piece, even the "upgraded 3 core" is fairly small.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The ******
I disagree, I completed my turbo build in less than a year and have been enjoying it for two years now. Your right about traction though, but thats because turbo cars make more horsepower than blower cars dick head. LMFAO.
Sorry just noticed this thread is still in action!
And you are wrong again.
But congrats on building a turbo setup in less than a year.
With the same power output the centri is easier to modulate. Anything over about 600hp is constantly negotiating power at street legal speeds on street legal tires. Even my old D1 setup would blow off 335s at 70mph. What I was getting at is the power delivery of a centri blower is more linear in how the boost comes on so you can modulate the throttle easier without such large boost fluctuations, same with shifting.
I really have no dog in this fight since I love the S475 on my awd auto truck setup where traction is better and boost is held between shifts. But in a manual rwd nose heavy street/strip car the turbo is more difficult to manage, if you have to get out of it at all your run is over.
Bring on all the "my turbos dont lag" and "my tiny turbodick spools instant but also makes 1000hp comments"
Old 04-26-2016, 02:01 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a turbo car for a while and I could not stop all the hot ***** that would walk buy while it was running and they would start kicking rocks at it.

I went ahead and did the procharger thing.......which led to another problem, now I have to throw rocks at all the bad bitches that are within a 100' radius of the truck while it is running. I have to throw the rocks cause I'm married and my wife is hot.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:29 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Had a funny comment this weekend when I went to a big cars-n-coffee meet by me. It was so large, cops were directing traffic, and as I rolled up to an officer sitting in line, waiting to park, he leaned over towards me and commented that I'm moving a lot of air....

I thought that was pretty funny. I replied, nope, it's just a bad alternator bearing, and he laughed.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a funny comment this weekend when I went to a big cars-n-coffee meet by me. It was so large, cops were directing traffic, and as I rolled up to an officer sitting in line, waiting to park, he leaned over towards me and commented that I'm moving a lot of air....

I thought that was pretty funny. I replied, nope, it's just a bad alternator bearing, and he laughed.
That's awesome. I admit I love the whine of any blower car. I wish my turbo sounded more turboie. I run with no attenuator and it's still quiet. The BOV on the other hand is super loud and makes me giggle every time.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:03 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

At idle, my blow off valve is closed, so all you hear is the blower, and not the air, which I love.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99bluefirebird
And you are wrong again.
With the same power output the centri is easier to modulate. Anything over about 600hp is constantly negotiating power at street legal speeds on street legal tires. Even my old D1 setup would blow off 335s at 70mph. What I was getting at is the power delivery of a centri blower is more linear in how the boost comes on so you can modulate the throttle easier without such large boost fluctuations, same with shifting.
I really have no dog in this fight since I love the S475 on my awd auto truck setup where traction is better and boost is held between shifts. But in a manual rwd nose heavy street/strip car the turbo is more difficult to manage, if you have to get out of it at all your run is over.
Bring on all the "my turbos dont lag" and "my tiny turbodick spools instant but also makes 1000hp comments"
well.. i hook brake boosting my turbo car even froma 40 roll.. have street legal et streets, with no traction issues. And hey now that you mentioned it, my turbodick spools pretty instantly... its s480 t4 onna 416 and i make 900whp thru an auto, so yeah my car basically says **** to you on the bullshit you just typed.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:10 AM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 99bluefirebird
And you are wrong again.
Guess my log showing 0-28lbs of boost in .78 seconds falls under your turbodick category.. Post like this make me laugh. Just because you haven't figured it out, It must be fairy tales and butterfly farts

Last edited by oscs; 04-26-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:36 PM
8 Second Club

I'm surprised nobody has brought up the cost. How many $525 superchargers are out there? I couldn't justify the cost of a big supercharger so I got a $525 turbo and some pipe welded to stock manifolds. Even with a little 5.3L it goes just as fast or faster then F1 Prochargers on bigger engines. Bigger bang for the buck to me!

Quick Reply: Supercharger vs Turbo.... OFFICIAL ARGUMENT THREAD.