Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Overheated wont run!!!! Help!! Stumped!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheated wont run!!!! Help!! Stumped!!!

Alright. So i got a 98 camaro z28 with a 76 mm tubro set up from on3 with 340 fuel pump and 60# injectors. As soon as i got the kit on car fired right up first try. Idle great drove great. Started to over heat. Couldnt get it started til the next day. Put an extra pusher fan on it and took off to get a dyno tune. Overheated on the way. Bent an exhaust valve. Lost all compression in cylinder 6. Got that taken care of now and good compression in every cylinder. All around 175 psi. But can get it to run. Will start and sound like its gonna run then cut off. Try to idle around 500 300 rpm. Then cut off. Try to give it any gas to rev it and it just makes it cut off quicker. Im sure i have great fuel pressure bc i switched back to stock injectors thinking maybe it was flooding itself out and there was plenty of fuel pressure in the rails. Spewed gas everywhere. Lol. Changed crank sensor thinking maybe overheating fried it after replacing crank sensor i now have a crank sensor code. Im stumped. Ignition relay is good. Swapped with starter relay and nothing changed. New plugs due to old ones being so fouled from running so rich. Let me know if i left anything out. Im really at a lost what to check next. Planning on putting maf sensor back on tomorrow since its a speed density tune. Maybe lost the base tune somehow?
Old 05-12-2016, 06:59 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When you overheated those couple times....did you pop the hood at that time and actually feel the engine bay was extremely hot....? Or did you just go by the temp gauge?

1998 PCMs won't run right without a good Coolant Temp Sensor. It will give you wrong temp indications and make the engine run so bad that it sounds like it wants to fall apart. My PCM won't allow my engine to stay running for more than about 8 seconds...spitting, backfiring, coughing and then it stalls. Pop in a new Temp Sensor and its perfect.

Might want to try putting a new one in. Or maybe its unplugged or damaged from the install.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

I agree, coolant temp sensor is a possibility. if you have access to a scanner with live data that will be your best friend as you can use it to watch actual sensor values while your motor is acting up. I'd also watch injector pulse with a noid light and see if fuel Is being cut, and if you have one, use an inline spark tester to see if sparl is being cut whIle its acting up also. that fact that you have a a ckp code showing up I'd pay special attention to crank sensor values on live data. also, get an actual reading of fuel pressure because seeing fuel come out isn't enough, you need actual numbers. I do the things I just told you every day at my shop and 99 percent of the time I can narrow it down pretty quick. if it wants to get really nasty and you have access, hook up a scope to to your ckp and watch actual signiture from the sensor. the signature should look like rectangles on the graph. it could be something as dumb as a bad spot under one wire that you can't see with the naked eye. but at the end of the day nobody is gonna be able to tell you exact what it Is over a thread. your just gonna have to get on there and see what your motors not getting. hope this helps
Old 05-12-2016, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Actually just replace ect sensor during turbo install. Accidently broke it dropping in my new headers... lol. But car deffinitely overheated. Thats what i thought to when i drive it while overheating. I work at a parts store and we see a lot of defective sensors. So pulled over and felt radiator and it felt cool. But by the time it started skipping and stalled... im guessing bc of bent exhaust valve... it was spewing coolant. So ect works. Or was working. Unless i fried it ..
Old 05-12-2016, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Thanks @boostedex. A lot of good advice there. Gonna be doing most of that tomorrow. Havent had much time to troubleshoot much yet. Got an off day tomorrow so hopefully i can figure it out. Most likely gonna be something stupid im over looking. At least i hope.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:33 AM
On The Tree

No problem brother, you'll figure it out just gotta get in there at it. hopefully it's just something small that won't cost anything..let us know what you find either way
Old 05-13-2016, 06:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Did you refill the engine thru the top radiator hose, only way to get enough coolant in the engine since the therm. is on the return side
Old 05-13-2016, 09:05 AM
Teching In

Yes. Pulled ect sensor too and filled coolant till i had a steady stream coming out that port.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:39 PM
Teching In

So you guys dont judge me but it was out of gas. Got so caught up in trouble shooting after over heating did think of adding gas. Float is broke in tank in my defense. Lol. But still dealing with the overheating issue. I tried to bleed radiator best i could. Think all air pockets are out. Gonna try taking my condensor out and standing radiator up straighter tomorrow. Cold side of turbo is touching radiator. Had a blanket on exhaust side. Maybe its not allowing the coolant to cool all the way down before recirculating. If that doesnt work then im out of ideas. New water pump and thermostat installed when fixing warped valve.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:43 AM
On The Tree

haha so checking your fuel pressure would have instantly lesd you to that direction.. glad you found whatbit was though.if your wondering if your radiator isn't working properly, just run engine to temp and put your hand on both radiator hoses, they should both be hot(one side slightly cooler of course). if they are, then coolant is clearly flowing through your radiator properly. also, double check for any air pockets as they can be stubborn getting out sometimes. there's other options for running hot too, make sure both fans are coming on when their supposed to (watch coolant temp with scanner while running ) also, make sure your fans are adequate for cooling a turbo motor. alot of guys here run derale including myself
Old 05-15-2016, 07:45 AM
On The Tree

Oh one more thing, make sure you have good airflow through your front bumper to your intercooler/radiator. just a thought.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:30 AM
Teching In

Yeah. I stood my radiator up a littke more and took my condensor out for the time being so i could move my coolding fans a little lower. Made ALOT of differnce. Appearently car will run cooler if direct fans towards bottom of radiator. Not just the middle. Gets plenty of air flow this way. Gonna run it this way til i can afford some niccce pusher fans and a griffin radiator.

Quick Reply: Overheated wont run!!!! Help!! Stumped!!!