Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Maybe FiTech learned LS engines matter? :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 09:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Two cables hanging down on the left are electric water pump feed and the plug for a crank sensor, I damper mounted a 24x crank ring.

Cables on the right are power & plug for an AD244 alternator.

For your application, tell me again why this is better than something like a Holley HP?

Andrew
Old 08-27-2017, 10:38 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

The Holley HP EFI ECU and harness kit, plus their not included touch screen, plus a not included second wide band o2 sensor totals about $2,400.00.

The FiTech LS stand alone system that has those items is $995.00.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

So you are using this on a BB, I guess the same thing of longer wires would hold true on an LS engine, I guess better than to short.
An unterminated kit with all the ends would be cool.
I am at the point of needing a controller, and trans controller, so the $999 Fitech looked interesting, but having used a couple Holley HP's, I know what they can do, but, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, lol
Old 08-28-2017, 07:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

The Holley HP EFI ECU and harness kit, plus their not included touch screen, plus a not included second wide band o2 sensor totals about $2,400.00.

The FiTech LS stand alone system that has those items is $995.00.
The HP doesn't have dual O2s and has no option for it (It's about $1800 with touch screen) I guess if this actually work it's a pretty good deal.

Andrew
Old 08-28-2017, 08:21 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Hey Andrew, perhaps we're talking about different HP systems. I looked at the HP EFI ECU & Harness Kit for GM LS1/LS6 # 550-602.

It allows the option of a second o2 and add on touch screen.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-550-602

Which HP system are you referring to that's $1,800.00 that includes the touch screen?
Old 08-28-2017, 08:35 AM
TECH Veteran

The 550-602 only has one 02 sensor, you have to go to the Dom. to get a second-the Dom allows. trans control also, of course more dollars too.
I used the small 3" touch screen with my HP, it eliminates having a cab full of gauges, you can program the screen to view what you want, and add cautions (turns red) if something is out of your programmed range-you can snag the screen for $225-250 on a deal. I actually was able to get the screen and the HP for a little over $1700 on a deep deal, but haven't seen any bargains recently.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hey Andrew, perhaps we're talking about different HP systems. I looked at the HP EFI ECU & Harness Kit for GM LS1/LS6 # 550-602.

It allows the option of a second o2 and add on touch screen.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-550-602

Which HP system are you referring to that's $1,800.00 that includes the touch screen?
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/550-608

PN 550-608...It's one of the Terminator kits. I hate the Holley nomenclature because it is confusing. But as was said above, the HP can only do one O2.

Andrew
Old 08-28-2017, 01:31 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

AHHH, thanks Andrew. I was looking only at the HP systems.

It appears the 550-608 also does just one o2 sensor?

Very nice looking kits, I'm sure very well made. Still, almost double the cost....
Old 08-28-2017, 01:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Presumably at only $1000, the FiTech is using a pair of narrowband sensors ? I cant imagine the system including 2 widebands at that price...and narrowbands do have limited use in the performance world.

So on many levels any comparisons are a bit pointless. But $1k for a complete system no matter what way you look at it, has to be good value as long as it is actually functional and reliable.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:01 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Presumably at only $1000, the FiTech is using a pair of narrowband sensors?
They are wideband Bosch sensors with six pin plugs.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:03 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

OK folks, I can offer an update.

There are some things about the harness that’s a mystery. FiTech does not include a schematic in the installation instructions and refuse to provide one when asked. “We don’t share our pin-outs, it’s a proprietary ECM”. Others include it with their instructions-and their controllers are proprietary also. Almost all my questions to them would’ve been answered with a schematic.

Most of the wiring follows or almost follows standard GM color codes and it’s easy to shorten the wires one at a time. But, the fuel injector harnesses, which unplug from the main harness, are not standard GM color codes and are not marked which plug goes to which injector. The main harness injector plugs are marked “P” or “D” for sides but I suppose we should assume the injector plug closest to the main plug is the rear injectors and work forward. When asked for confirmation, FiTech again reiterated they don’t give harness “pin-outs” as they call it.

The instructions clearly describe fuel pump pulse width modulation to control the fuel pump speed. It even states how to change the setting in the touch pad. The fuel pump is fed through a relay. This is a standard contact style relay, not a solid state relay that would be needed for PWM voltage control.

I was first told that it was PWM and that I was wrong. Then I was told to speak to Bryce, as he’s the “Ultimate LS system guy”. He couldn’t answer either. Although he told me he answered all the questions in my email (there were four, he answered one), I pressed him for the fuel relay answer and he finally said it was an early instruction and regular on-off contact relays is what the kit comes with.

When I speak with FiTech support, answers are very short and with an “everybody knows that” attitude. I have the feeling that they think if a user can’t figure it out for themselves from the instructions, he’s an idiot.

Other than all this, I do feel the harness and it’s implementation is decent to good. I’m sure once I have it all up and running, it’ll be nice. The software looks to address just about everything. Here’s a screen shot of some of the features.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the screen shot, some of the stuff looks confusing as far as what does it mean, lol-like the trans stuff
Funny the Holley HP has a full wiring diagram, esp since you have to do "pins" when adding stuff, plus I had an early HP that they used a diff vendor making the harness, and it had some swapped wiring-but thanks to the wiring diagram I was able to correct.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

I was actually linked to this thread from a post in a thread I started over at Chevelles.

I received the 70051 stand alone system yesterday. It's very nice, complete and nothing damaged. It was in stock at Summit.

I don't think anybody in this thread mentioned it, this is a speed density system, no MAF.

The injector harnesses are for LS1 injectors. If you're using EV6 injectors, you'll need adapters or need to change the plugs.

The harness sections are too long, I'm sure most users will shorten everything up.

My twist is I'm installing this on my 496 big block, which has been outfitted with LS1 sensors.

I have a bunch of other things to do so it'll be a while before I actually fire this system up.
Hi Paul, thanks for the info thus far. But I have to disagree with you on the injector harness being only a LS1 style. I have my FItech kit and it comes with 2 different injector sub harnesses. EV1 and EV6.

I'm working my way through the rest of the replies and will let you know if I find anything else.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:09 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by customblackbird
I have my FItech kit and it comes with 2 different injector sub harnesses. EV1 and EV6.
I attribute this to their phone help guys not knowing what they're talking about.

Mike told me sure, they came with EV6.

Bryce (the Ultimate LS "guy") scoffed at that saying it only came with LS1 style, EV6 was never and would be never offered.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Presumably at only $1000, the FiTech is using a pair of narrowband sensors ? I cant imagine the system including 2 widebands at that price...and narrowbands do have limited use in the performance world.

So on many levels any comparisons are a bit pointless. But $1k for a complete system no matter what way you look at it, has to be good value as long as it is actually functional and reliable.
Nope, uses bosch 4.2 widebands. The harness and PCM can detect two but the kit comes with 1. I purchased my 2nd bosch WB02 for $50 and it will plug right in and the PCM will detect it for dual bank tuning.

If the system works as it should $800 is a bargain even just for he engine side. I priced out a boost capable HP system and it was over 2k and the PCM was maxed out for drivers. I would have to step up to the dominator ECM for 2k by itself.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I attribute this to their phone help guys not knowing what they're talking about.

Mike told me sure, they came with EV6.

Bryce (the Ultimate LS "guy") scoffed at that saying it only came with LS1 style, EV6 was never and would be never offered.
The screenshot looks confusing as hell lol. Damn I gotta hook mine up to the laptop. Do you hook the PCM or the handheld to the laptop to download the tuning software?

Yea I got different answers from Kirk and the other guys at FItech, honestly they are not the best tech savvy or customer service. I don't mind that if the product is good and easy enough to use. Has to be easier than the stock stuff and HP tuners.

I did confirm dual subharnesses as I purchased EV1 to EV6 adapters after they told Me they only came with EV1. Now after getting the kit I could have saved the $25.

I did notice that my LS1 99 stock 5.3 harness uses a 1 wire alt plug and the FItech has a 2 wire plug.

Get her all done and fired up and report back. Another guy has his started and idling but his coils took a dump so it's idling rough in another thread here.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:30 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Nope, uses bosch 4.2 widebands. The harness and PCM can detect two but the kit comes with 1. I purchased my 2nd bosch WB02 for $50 and it will plug right in and the PCM will detect it for dual bank tuning.
I think the 500HP system comes with one, the 700HP system two. The basic system I bought (without intake, injectors, rails, etc.) doesn't have a HP rating and it came with two o2 sensors.

The screenshot looks confusing as hell lol. Damn I gotta hook mine up to the laptop. Do you hook the PCM or the handheld to the laptop to download the tuning software?
The software is in the touch pad. You remove it from the system and connect via a mini USB plug and it powers up. It appears you work on it offline then re-connect and dump into the ECM.

Yea I got different answers from Kirk and the other guys at FItech, honestly they are not the best tech savvy or customer service. I don't mind that if the product is good and easy enough to use. Has to be easier than the stock stuff and HP tuners.

I did confirm dual subharnesses as I purchased EV1 to EV6 adapters after they told Me they only came with EV1. Now after getting the kit I could have saved the $25.

I did notice that my LS1 99 stock 5.3 harness uses a 1 wire alt plug and the FItech has a 2 wire plug.

Get her all done and fired up and report back. Another guy has his started and idling but his coils took a dump so it's idling rough in another thread here.
Where's that thread?
Old 09-05-2017, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think the 500HP system comes with one, the 700HP system two. The basic system I bought (without intake, injectors, rails, etc.) doesn't have a HP rating and it came with two o2 sensors.

The software is in the touch pad. You remove it from the system and connect via a mini USB plug and it powers up. It appears you work on it offline then re-connect and dump into the ECM.

Where's that thread?
The standalone systems 70050 and 70051 (without trans control and trans control) are the same minus the software the trans harness. My 70050 kit or "non trans control kit" does not have the trans harness. Both kits are otherwise the exact same and the same kit used in the 500 and 700hp kits. The difference between the 500 and 700 kits is literally the same except one has 30 something pound injectors and the other has 60lb, the 700hp also includes the 2nd 02 sensor. The harness and PCM (engine side is the same) they just sell the harness PCM without the intake etc for a stock style setup. So they literally give the the best they got in the $800 kit as it's the same as $1k kit and the same as the 500 and 700hp kits. Let me know if that's unclear. All kits/pcms have 30psi or 3 bar capability, full timing and individual fuel trims for both banks (if you run dual 02s).

Here's the thread. I have also figured out a harness adapter to run a LS1 style MAP sensor with the LS3 connector provided on the FItech harness. Took me a while to find it as they all convert the LS3 sensor to a LS1 harness and not the other way around. https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...l#post19717965
Old 09-06-2017, 06:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Sup if you have the 70050, you can add trans control to it to make it a 51.
I emailed them to see if you had the 70051, if you could use it as trans control only at first, then control the engine later, but no word.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:20 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by forcd ind
......if you could use it as trans control only at first, then control the engine later, but no word.
I don't see how this would work. The ECM is an engine controller, it's transmission outputs depend on the engine running. At a minimum, shift timing depends on engine conditions.

Quick Reply: Maybe FiTech learned LS engines matter? :)