Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Making the switch.... Turbonetics to On3

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 10:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making the switch.... Turbonetics to On3

This is a budget minded turbo swap comparison, to compare 2 popular turbos

I just received my new On3 78 mm turbo lastnight. I am going to be using it to replace my turbo on my 2002 camaro SS forged 376, l92 heads, custom cam, stalled auto. It has a KY- turbo truck manifold kit. I had been using a turbonetics hurricane series "Benita" 7868. At $825 from summet it's the more expensive of the 2. But will it be worth the extra dough???
I had only had a couple dyno "runs" on low boost with the turbonetics. On 7 psi it made 544hp 555tq. The only change on the car is the turbo.
I am going to dyno the On3 as soon as I can.
I also hope to document the streetability, power, spool time, etc, etc between the two.
Now the On3 I bought on sale for $399 is a 7875 which with the bigger hot side, and may not spool as fast. But may respond better to my larger bore up top. I have heard good things. And if it weren't for the word-of-mouth I probably would have not even considered the On3.

I going up this afternoon to where my car is to start the install. And I will keep tabs on the progress. If there is any info anyone wants feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

The on3 is physically larger than the turbonetics, and heavier too.
I also have to tap into my turbo manifold for the waste gate vacuum line. As drilling and tapping the On3 will void the warrentee.
Also the on3 came with no paperwork?
Old 11-12-2016, 10:13 AM
Staging Lane

Old 11-12-2016, 03:00 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's a big difference in turbine size. Not the best comparison.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by oscs
That's a big difference in turbine size. Not the best comparison.
I happen to be in a situation where I was in need of a new turbo, and can do this. I am going to see how both ends of the spectrum translate the power, and drive on the street. I could read up all day and hear 10 diffrent things.
I'm interested in the real results, and maby someone with a similar setup may be too? I don't see where there would be a clear best option.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Ooooo lordy, don't you know that your motor will blow up and die a terrible death when you install that no name junk turbo lol. That comment is saturated in sarcasm BTW. Prepare yourself for the "it's not usa" "it's poor quality"....and all that type of rifraf. But I think you will see a nice step in power, if nothing else just from the big turbine jump.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:05 PM
TECH Junkie

And props for stepping up and just getting it done.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I think you are going to be happy with the bigger turbine... Overall car will make some good power!
Old 11-12-2016, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

The on3 78 ain't no joke . I have been rocking one since they first hit ebay...no complaints here.
Old 11-13-2016, 02:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Any reason you limited the original setup to only 7psi on a "forged 376". Would seem like there would still have been a lot left on the table in that setup? A 68mm turbine on a 376 must be spooled up just off idle I'd think? That's a really small turbine compared the engine displacement, so you should see a really nice jump on the top end, opening up that choke point. Why did you need a new turbo? Is the Benita kaput, or you just needed a bigger one? Did you consider rebuilding your Benita if it was kaput?

I'd drill and tap the On3 compressor housing, just like your tubronetics is, f the warranty, that's the best setup IMO. That's just me though. I'd take it off the turbo to do it. They probably void the warranty because someone did it one the turbo and left it full of metal or something? It would be interesting to see if the Turbonetics compressor housing would fit on the On3? It looks better, is already tapped, and has a smoother intake? If the On3 is a knock off of the Turbonetics, and they are the same size compressor, it may fit.

At about 4 bills, they are almost disposable turbos. Even if you get a couple years out of it with comparable performance to a domestic one it is a better deal. I'm running the T-7875 with the BB's and the F1-75 turbine. It cost me over 3 times that much. Kind of feel stupid for paying that much, when I could have spent less.

If my turbo were to need replacing, my thoughts would be to stand up the radiator and go S480 type or something like that. The BW's seem affordable, reliable, and put up good power, only down side is the space they take up, which is at a premium in our Fbodies.

I'm in for results.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

On3 and a warranty?????
Old 11-13-2016, 08:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
On3 and a warranty?????
30 day warranty I believe.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Game ova
And props for stepping up and just getting it done.
Thanks, I am still pretty new to the FI world, but I am going by what I see. And while there will be complaints with any manufacturer, On3 looked like they were holding there own out there.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ZNix
I think you are going to be happy with the bigger turbine... Overall car will make some good power!
Thanks man, I think so too. But I was worried about lag, the turbonetics was crazy fast spooling. Like instantaneous lol it made good power too. But it fell on its face around 5.5 grand. It was great for impromptu roll racing.
Can't wait to get some of that GN too lol. Even if it's a look at the tail lights.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:28 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1969x11
The on3 78 ain't no joke . I have been rocking one since they first hit ebay...no complaints here.
I heard that alot, that's why I went with them.
And any info would be great. Jornal bearing? How many miles on it? Motor size?
Old 11-13-2016, 09:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ScottyBG
Any reason you limited the original setup to only 7psi on a "forged 376". Would seem like there would still have been a lot left on the table in that setup? A 68mm turbine on a 376 must be spooled up just off idle I'd think? That's a really small turbine compared the engine displacement, so you should see a really nice jump on the top end, opening up that choke point. Why did you need a new turbo? Is the Benita kaput, or you just needed a bigger one? Did you consider rebuilding your Benita if it was kaput?

I'd drill and tap the On3 compressor housing, just like your tubronetics is, f the warranty, that's the best setup IMO. That's just me though. I'd take it off the turbo to do it. They probably void the warranty because someone did it one the turbo and left it full of metal or something? It would be interesting to see if the Turbonetics compressor housing would fit on the On3? It looks better, is already tapped, and has a smoother intake? If the On3 is a knock off of the Turbonetics, and they are the same size compressor, it may fit.

At about 4 bills, they are almost disposable turbos. Even if you get a couple years out of it with comparable performance to a domestic one it is a better deal. I'm running the T-7875 with the BB's and the F1-75 turbine. It cost me over 3 times that much. Kind of feel stupid for paying that much, when I could have spent less.

If my turbo were to need replacing, my thoughts would be to stand up the radiator and go S480 type or something like that. The BW's seem affordable, reliable, and put up good power, only down side is the space they take up, which is at a premium in our Fbodies.

I'm in for results.
I'm replacing the Banita because it was worn out. Very minor shaft play and oil seal smoking at times. What I am about to say next is no reflection on turbonetics, just 1 employee. He tries charging me more to rebuild it than to buy a new one. After he had it forever and wouldn't return my calls. He said I needed a new turbine wheel because a object was stuck in it too.??? I ran my motor and did a full leak down and compression check. It is fine.
After he tried charging me more than a new one I asked to talk to some one else. He would not let me talk to anyone else, I said I wanted to file a complaint. He said he was the guy to talk to. So I had him send me it back in pieces and looked for a new manufacturer.
The turbonetics turbo was great, it made good power till the 5.5 grand. And was great to fit in tight places, looked great too. I would recommend them, but be carefull when it needs a rebuild and document the unit with pics.

Also I had well over 7psi on the street. Just had only enough time to dial in the tune on 7psi on the dyno. And I had to get going.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
On3 and a warranty?????
Originally Posted by Game ova
30 day warranty I believe.

I should have been more clear. I am going to drill and tap, but I want to make sure it's good off the shelf first. I don't want a problem right off the bat, and have to throw it away.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

So with a little fanagleing I got it in, it's real close to my harmonic balancer though. It looks like it will work though, I got my oil lines converted and was going to finish it up. But I had too go pic one of my kids up. I am going to finish it up later and post some pics of each turbo on the car.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 408-99-f
Thanks man, I think so too. But I was worried about lag, the turbonetics was crazy fast spooling. Like instantaneous lol it made good power too. But it fell on its face around 5.5 grand. It was great for impromptu roll racing.
Can't wait to get some of that GN too lol. Even if it's a look at the tail lights.
We will get some runs in the spring. I just haven't had near enough time to spend on it. Going to college sucks *** sometimes. I would expect that 68 turbine wheel to just keel over up top LOL. That is something I would put on a sub 5L motor, not a great flowing 6.2! A buddy of mine was even having problems with BP in his 5.3 car.
Old 11-13-2016, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In for results as I currently has a CXRacing 76/65 and have been looking at possibly dealing for an on3 76/75 or vs billet 78/75 so any world data would be cool...when I bought my turbo I was a turbo newb and didn't realize t76 had a baby turbine although it spoils damn quick (positive at 2800 all in by 4000) on a stock L33

Quick Reply: Making the switch.... Turbonetics to On3