Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What made you switch from procharger to turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As. Far simple it Is definitely a super charger hands down , It can be bolted on most applications but it ends there, belts slip ,stretch and break
Old 06-04-2017, 09:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
Procharger whine is cool....... for about 10 minutes. Turbo spool up......NEVER gets old.
So true lol. i say that alot. NOTHING like the sound of a turbo spooling. Or the pull of a turbo car for that matter. Just all around better and more fun
Old 06-04-2017, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Maybe you should consider a whipple for an option too. If you go with a 4 or 4.5 liter you could use the manifold and the Intercooler with a turbo setup later making the swap a little easier without changing Intercooler and exchanger configuration. Just remove the blower and sell it to help with conversion cost. CBM makes a nice billet upper manifold cover that replaces the blower and allows for turbo installation. Have you seen the torque curves that a ls whipple charged engine produces? Very impressive imo.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BCNUL8R
Thank you for sharing your experience. Do you think if your goal was 700 rwhp and you stayed at that or below you wouldn't have had to deal with many of those issues? It seems common that at higher levels the issues that arise with a procharger are what push people towards a turbo.

Really what is most important to me are track times. I'd like to run very low 10's to high 9's with the car or 6.5x or better in the 1/8th where I mostly play. I know a lot goes into that and GTO's don't seem to run the expected ET's for their power level. I think 700 rwhp would be enough power if the rest of the combo is working well.
Yes, I believe even up to 850ish would be fine in an auto. What was killing the belts on my manual car was between shifts. You have to imagine the momentum in the impeller and drive system when you are changing 2-3k rpms almost instantly. That is a ton of mass to slow down and speed back up. As noted before, when I went to an auto, this was pretty much a non-issue.

Just for reference, I ran around on a pretty conservative tune. I lifted the heads on my setup, but I still decided to try to retorque the heads to give it a go at the track. I drove about an hour to the track, ran 3 passes (all pushed water), and drove it home. 9.7x @ 145mph with a pretty slow 1.6 60'. The car was in full trim, which is roughly 3,800-3,900 lbs. Not too shabby in my opinion. When I was at 760 rwhp, the car with 10.14 @144mph with a manual, and I can't shift a manual quick to save my life, hence the auto swap lol.

Procharger whine is cool....... for about 10 minutes. Turbo spool up......NEVER gets old.
This. I am already getting excited about my turbo setup. I started mocking up the hotside this afternoon.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

The idle streetsweeper whoosh got quite old, along with the squeeling straight cut gears. All the noise was cool at first and definitely turned heads, but eventually got old. Sounds ridiculous idling along in the neighborhood sounding like a jet engine. PD blowers and turbod sound nice when your getting into it, rather than when your putting around or sitting at a stoplight.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 372 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerBill
Yes, I believe even up to 850ish would be fine in an auto. What was killing the belts on my manual car was between shifts. You have to imagine the momentum in the impeller and drive system when you are changing 2-3k rpms almost instantly. That is a ton of mass to slow down and speed back up. As noted before, when I went to an auto, this was pretty much a non-issue.

Just for reference, I ran around on a pretty conservative tune. I lifted the heads on my setup, but I still decided to try to retorque the heads to give it a go at the track. I drove about an hour to the track, ran 3 passes (all pushed water), and drove it home. 9.7x @ 145mph with a pretty slow 1.6 60'. The car was in full trim, which is roughly 3,800-3,900 lbs. Not too shabby in my opinion. When I was at 760 rwhp, the car with 10.14 @144mph with a manual, and I can't shift a manual quick to save my life, hence the auto swap lol.

This. I am already getting excited about my turbo setup. I started mocking up the hotside this afternoon.
I really appreciate hearing your experience. That is a lot of mph in that heavy of a car. That amount of power might be good for 8's in an Fbody.

Here is the last time slip I got with my previous GTO. I already have the same basic suspension and wheels/tires installed on my new GTO that I had on my previous one that I sold 10 years ago when I ran these times. Only I went with a different style of Bogart wheels this time. I melted a piston on this pass so my mph was down a bit. I usually trapped near 135 mph. I'm on the right side. This was rolling into the throttle and not getting into the nitrous until about 60'.

Here is a video of that car. The 60' looks really lazy, but was still in the 1.6x range on this pass.

I figured it would take more rwhp in a supercharged car to run the times I want than in a nitrous car. I dynoed 632 rwhp to run that time slip. That is why I'm shooting for 700ish with boost to hopefully run the same or slightly better times.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,302 Posts

I guess the newness hasn't worn off for me yet. I went the other way....used to have a turbo car and now have a D1SC car and i freaking love it. Pull up to a stoplight with the cut out open and the blower whistling is hilarious to me watching people look around trying to figure out what the heck is going on.

Some blower positives for me:

I dont have to worry about whether or not my $400 china turbo is going to explode on any random day and either trying to take out my motor or provide an oil slick for my tires.

I don't have to deal with a crazy routed hot side kit that may or may not melt stuff in the engine bay unless I spend time/money wrapping everything.

No turbo sitting in front of my accessories/crank pulley so I can actual maneuver around underneath the car.

No oil lines, period.

Lack of adjustable boost doesn't bother me, but could be easily solved with a wastegated setup, but everyone seems to ignore that.

Hardest thing for me was getting everything aligned.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

There's a lot of options out there to prevent belt slip. I run a 12rib setup and at 23psi belt slip is not an issue.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
I guess the newness hasn't worn off for me yet. I went the other way....used to have a turbo car and now have a D1SC car and i freaking love it. Pull up to a stoplight with the cut out open and the blower whistling is hilarious to me watching people look around trying to figure out what the heck is going on.

Some blower positives for me:

I dont have to worry about whether or not my $400 china turbo is going to explode on any random day and either trying to take out my motor or provide an oil slick for my tires.

I don't have to deal with a crazy routed hot side kit that may or may not melt stuff in the engine bay unless I spend time/money wrapping everything.

No turbo sitting in front of my accessories/crank pulley so I can actual maneuver around underneath the car.

No oil lines, period.

Lack of adjustable boost doesn't bother me, but could be easily solved with a wastegated setup, but everyone seems to ignore that.

Hardest thing for me was getting everything aligned.
You will be back, one does not simply jump ship and stay gone. Turbo is like heroine, you may quit it...... but it NEVER quits you. 🎵You've been dancing with...Mr brownstone.... and he won't leave you alone 🎵.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:25 PM
10 Second Club

You will be back, one does not simply jump ship and stay gone. Turbo is like heroine, you may quit it...... but it NEVER quits you. 🎵You've been dancing with...Mr brownstone.... and he won't leave you alone 🎵.
Entirely depends on my next car. I have a CTS-V itch and it definitely wont be turbo.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:45 PM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Entirely depends on my next car. I have a CTS-V itch and it definitely wont be turbo.
That's funny because the fastest CTSV's are turbo.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Not that this is the definitive answer/guide, but go binge watch 1320 video and compare the number of turbo cars to procharged cars. And then, take that limited number of procharged cars.... and look at what nearly always happens to them when they decide to jump out the window on a turbo car.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
So true lol. i say that alot. NOTHING like the sound of a turbo spooling. Or the pull of a turbo car for that matter. Just all around better and more fun
I still remember the first time I dropped the hammer on the freeway with a medium power turbo car (820rwhp). At first it scared me, so I got out of it just as it spooled up good..... once I quit laughing and shaking, I downshifted and rolled into it. Been an addict ever since.
The following users liked this post:
53te39 (12-22-2020)
Old 06-05-2017, 03:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 372 Likes on 272 Posts

Not that this is the definitive answer/guide, but go binge watch 1320 video and compare the number of turbo cars to procharged cars. And then, take that limited number of procharged cars.... and look at what nearly always happens to them when they decide to jump out the window on a turbo car.
LOL...I watch 1320 videos all the time. I live in small town Iowa there is no roll racing scene here. There are no 6 or 8 lane freeways in my home town to even do that kind of thing on even if we wanted to.

Despite many of the issues people have mentioned in this thread I still think the procharger is the way to go for my goals.

500 rwhp or so on stock bottom end for a year or until it breaks which ever comes first. Then 700 rwhp with a forged 347 or forged 6.0 aluminum block. I'm not going to gut the car, but I don't want to add any more weight than I have to. With my goal of 700 rwhp I think an aluminum block will be fine.

I really like the TVS2300, but I think they have way more issues at the 700 rwhp level than a procharger.

I don't like the sound of the bigger prochargers, but I should be able to achieve 700 rwhp through the auto with a D1x with helical gear set.

It seems like the belt slip issues could be resolved with a bigger crank pulley and 8 or 10 rib setup at the power level I'm looking for. Is switching to a 10 rib setup as simple as changing pulleys on the crank and blower and getting the correct belt or is it more involved than that?

I'm thinking 93 plus meth for fuel. E85 is readily available here, but there are some issues with inconsistency and I don't think it will be needed for my goals.

Any other advice? I want to have a solid plan by November and get started over the winter. I still have to build the drivetrain before then. I'd like to be ready for 700 rwhp from the trans back before I put the blower on even at low boost.

How does the waste gate setup with a procharger work? Wouldn't you still be spinning the blower for your max boost all the time and just "wasting" the unwanted boost?
Old 06-05-2017, 03:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
That's funny because the fastest CTSV's are turbo.
why is that funny when A) I could care less about being the quickest or fasted and B) last time I checked the 2nd gen came with an LSA that had a blower on it stock?
Old 06-05-2017, 03:30 PM
10 Second Club

How does the waste gate setup with a procharger work? Wouldn't you still be spinning the blower for your max boost all the time and just "wasting" the unwanted boost?
yup and it works badass. You make boost earlier in the rpm range and more power throughout the entire range cause youre spinning the blower faster earlier.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:31 PM
TECH Junkie

why is that funny when A) I could care less about being the quickest or fasted and B) last time I checked the 2nd gen came with an LSA that had a blower on it stock?
Its "couldn't care less". And he's probably talking about people buying ctsv's and ripping the blower off in favor of a turbo.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:06 PM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

yup and it works badass. You make boost earlier in the rpm range and more power throughout the entire range cause youre spinning the blower faster earlier.
It also contributes to wearing out the headunit and increased IAT.

A) Obviously B) I'm aware

Its "couldn't care less". And he's probably talking about people buying ctsv's and ripping the blower off in favor of a turbo.
Indeed I am... I had an LSA and it wasn't anything impressive. Granted if you spend thousands on getting it ported, spray bars, overdrive pulleys, etc then it can almost make what a 76mm turbo does out of the box.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Turbo takes a little more to setup, but after that they are reliable from my experience. Over 3 years with my huron speed kit and the only trouble I had was I blew out the hotside gasket because my bolts came loose. Car still drove fine, just an exhaust leak. Put lock washers on the bolts and never had any problems since..

Also the only motor I ever F'd up was shortly after I installed my procharger kit on my first ls z28 it probably had 300 miles on it on low boost and I spun the #1 rod bearing... I don't know if it had to do with tension being on the front hub or not, but it was weird to me as soon as I put the blower on I spin the #1 rod bearing..

I'm sure you would be happy with either though...
Old 06-05-2017, 05:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

LOL...I watch 1320 videos all the time. I live in small town Iowa there is no roll racing scene here. There are no 6 or 8 lane freeways in my home town to even do that kind of thing on even if we wanted to.

Despite many of the issues people have mentioned in this thread I still think the procharger is the way to go for my goals.

500 rwhp or so on stock bottom end for a year or until it breaks which ever comes first. Then 700 rwhp with a forged 347 or forged 6.0 aluminum block. I'm not going to gut the car, but I don't want to add any more weight than I have to. With my goal of 700 rwhp I think an aluminum block will be fine.

I really like the TVS2300, but I think they have way more issues at the 700 rwhp level than a procharger.

I don't like the sound of the bigger prochargers, but I should be able to achieve 700 rwhp through the auto with a D1x with helical gear set.

It seems like the belt slip issues could be resolved with a bigger crank pulley and 8 or 10 rib setup at the power level I'm looking for. Is switching to a 10 rib setup as simple as changing pulleys on the crank and blower and getting the correct belt or is it more involved than that?

I'm thinking 93 plus meth for fuel. E85 is readily available here, but there are some issues with inconsistency and I don't think it will be needed for my goals.

Any other advice? I want to have a solid plan by November and get started over the winter. I still have to build the drivetrain before then. I'd like to be ready for 700 rwhp from the trans back before I put the blower on even at low boost.

Just ignore all the bullshit in this thread and go with the centri. With the right kit it will make your power goals and be very reliable and you will enjoy it.

Suggestions of a 4.0 whipple for 700hp ? What ******* planet is that person on ?

Turbos could be an option..but as you already know, there are very very few turbo kits out there for that car. But there are simple bolt on blower kits.
How well proven is that UPP kit ? At the price...are the turbos Chinese ? Access for plugs etc looks a feckin nightmare.

TVS is an option too..but probably at it's limit at your goal.. A Centri is just simple. Easy to bolt on, you can have a good efficient intercooler and they just work. Of course depends how solid that number is...or if you're just happy that it performs well. Numbers dont always mean much.
But as said...I'd probably prefer to aim for a Gen5 type kit, as opposed to anything GTO specific as I dont believe the base kits for that platform are very good....or at least not as good as the Gen5 stuff. But it will have the added expense of changing other parts.
The Procharger bracket for the GTO...just looks as if it would be flimsy

CAPA's Aussie Vortech kit was simple, but the lack of a spring tensioner is a huge compromise, although I think they might offer one now. Not sure of Vortech USA themselves offer a kit for those cars ?
But with a Vortech it gives you the option of a YSi, which is a superb blower.

Of course you could go down the road of a custom turbo kit....but then you're into huge money. Is it really worth it ?

Quick Reply: What made you switch from procharger to turbo?