Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Incon ?'s, Finally installing my kit!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 07:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Incon ?'s, Finally installing my kit!!

I'll be starting the install next week the week of the 12th. Just wondering what to gap the plugs at and how much more oil will the car need(6 quarts? total). If you guys have any other recommendations for me before I start the install I would love to hear them.
Old 07-04-2004, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chris's ws6
I'll be starting the install next week the week of the 12th. Just wondering what to gap the plugs at and how much more oil will the car need(6 quarts? total). If you guys have any other recommendations for me before I start the install I would love to hear them.

I have mine gapped at .035 and so do most people. I put six quarts in. If the engine was bone dry (i.e. just rebuilt) probably would hold another .5 quart.

On startup, leave the car on jackstands or lift so you can look for powersteering, oil, coolant, etc leaks.

Gary
Old 07-04-2004, 03:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make SURE you have the incon oil pump working before you start the car. If not, you will have oil in your pipes and intercooler. Also, put a heat shield on the #8 plug wire at least. Mine was hitting against the manifold and arced out within 100 miles. How much boost do you intend to run?
Old 07-04-2004, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chris's ws6
Also don't hook up the fresh air line from the valve cover to the passenger side air filter. If you do you just have oil in the compressor housing and intercooler. I would run a breather on the passenger side valve cover. I am sure I will think of other things. I probably covered a ton other things in past posts and PMs.

Gary
Old 07-04-2004, 08:45 PM
9 Second Club

Oh I got one more I just discovered today....if you get up around 12-13 psi, do not floor the accelerator often under 40mph.....it will severly wear your rear tires and make everyone stare at you with big grins
Old 07-05-2004, 07:12 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info.

Cablebandit- I assume you mean the incon scavenge pump. What do you mean by have it working before I start the car(as in just make sure it is running or do I have to do something to it to actually get it going). Also, I will only be running 5.5 to 6.5#'s of boost(stock motor).

Red ws6 99- I want to thank you for all your help. I used to email you back in the day when we were both piecing together our incomplete kits.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Once you get the install sorted out you can raise the boost on a stock engine quite a bit (I'm at 10) provided you have a good understanding of what you need to change in the tune AND higher octane fuel - but you are wise to stay with 5-6 until then. If you are getting a shop tune, don't play with it. IMO you personally should'nt start to tweak the car until you have an on-board wideband, a scanmaster, and access to ls1edit or autotap (or similar). problem is, boost is addictive.

And if you do up the boost, remember there are risks no matter how careful you are.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:15 AM
9 Second Club

I meant like when you hit the key it should come on. Someone suggested having a relay triggered from the fuel pump wire start the scavenge pump. That's a good idea. I have mine wired to that ignition terminal in the underhood fuse box. It works fine but I have to unplug it when I want to turn the key on to load a ls1edit tune or it will run the whole time. I love the Incon. It does seem to be very well made. The one thing I was not ready for is the nice spool in my a4. When I had the standard TTi kit, the t-76 would reach full spool around 3300 rpms and break the tires loose due to the huge torque spike. While fun on the street, it was hard to keep it glued to the track. The Incon seems much smoother and I hope easier to keep from spinning at the track. Now with the TTi race kit and 700+ hp.....you are going to roast them on the street about anytime you want. It must be manageable tho cause MM just ran a 10.9? on true street tires...not drag radials..et streets etc but real street tires
Old 07-09-2004, 06:54 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for all th help. The install starts on monday, so if you guys have any other suggestions please post them before monday.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

be careful and make sure that the jackstands are secure.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cablebandit
I meant like when you hit the key it should come on. Someone suggested having a relay triggered from the fuel pump wire start the scavenge pump. That's a good idea.
cb, it is a good mod.

Believe you heard that from whitehawk, Geoff. It is the fuel pump relay output wire, which is grey (Not orange - ask me how i know ) you can release the box by pushing on a plastic hold on the fender side of the box, then it pulls up. Tap into it the way you prefer...I carefully shaved the outer insulation off a small section of the grey wire, soldered on a piece of red wire and taped it well. This becomes the sense wire into the relay used for the scavenge. Take your time when doing surgery!! and double check the scavenge relay sense line and power line are attached to the right relay terminals.

There is a good writeup in the helms on the fuel pump circuit. As you know, the pump turns on when you key the car, then shuts off after a sec or two - that's because the pcm knows the engine is not getting spark.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info guys. If anyone has pictures of the intercoolers mounted on the car they would be greatly appreciated. Another incon owner said the brackets(for the intercoolers) aren't labeled and are kind of confusing and if I had pictures it would be alot easier to figure out which bracket mounts where.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:49 AM
Teching In

Wow! Thought I might be the only one with an uninstalled kit at this point. I'll be watching your progress. Please post any updates :-)

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Incon ?'s, Finally installing my kit!!