Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Air Filter for Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 07:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

A stubby filter doesn't necessarily mean an undersized filter. What's more important than the length is the total surface area of the element. Given a 6" length, a filter that has a wide oval shape will have more surface area than the traditional round/tapered design. Deeper pleats add up to more surface area and an inverted top is icing on the cake.

Go to the AFE website and use their Build Your Filter tool and see what you can come up with for a 6" element length with an inverted top and the widest top diameter. With a TT, you only need a filter than can feed half the airflow the engine needs at full song.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:29 AM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I have a 4" piece of mandrel tubing to match the 4" inlet on my turbo and it makes ~80 degree bend. I put the largest K&N filter I could fit on it...believe it's about 10" long. Even so, I am sure it's costing me some power but I'm not about to remove it, especially with the turbo in the location it is in which is in the right spot to suck up road debri/rocks.

I view air filters like I do Rotella 15w-40; do they cost you some power over no filter and 5w-20...well most likely yes...but are they worth the reduction? IMHO absolutely.

I say run the biggest inlet filtering system you can and don't lose any sleep over it
Attached Thumbnails Air Filter for Turbo?-photo867.jpg  
Old 04-10-2018, 08:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it better to run a 90 and get fresh air to the turbo or have no bends and get air from the engine bay?

And who do I need to contact at R2C to order a filter? Tried calling them and all I got was a list of names to be transfered to so I hung up lol.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by stoverz28
Is it better to run a 90 and get fresh air to the turbo or have no bends and get air from the engine bay?

And who do I need to contact at R2C to order a filter? Tried calling them and all I got was a list of names to be transfered to so I hung up lol.
Cool air is always worth power so I would do what it takes within reason to get it.

I was just talking to well known engine builder about IAT's and he said on his max effort builds ( Drag Car/Boat/Tractor pullers on methanol) that one degree of drop in temperature is good for 1hp , Keep in mind these are in the 2,000hp range so you're obviously not going to see the same results but it will make more power the cooler the intake charge is.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:15 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by frojoe
Can we please discuss the topic of this thread.. air filters (big or small) vs tube/bellmouth, vs no filter?

Stevieturbo or anyone else.... can you describe to some level of relative objectivity how much you 'd recommend against a 90* bend into the turbo inlet?

I'm having a bit of a conundrum, I didn't think a 90* elbow would be that much of a hindrance up until I scraped this thread for actually useful information. I'm running twin turbo's with 4" inlets on a 6L, and have about 6" of room from turbo inlet flange to rad support, and was planning on a 4" silicone bend to draw air from the fender thru the biggest filter I can jam in there.. maybe up to a 10" long one. My car is 99% street so losing a bit of power from undersized filter is just what it is, if I have to go with no elbow and a stubby filter.

I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around "how bad" elbows feeding the turbos would be.

Thanks!
joe
Obviously size comes into it.

Say a 60mm turbo with a 60mm bend right in front of it....will pose a restriction.

A 60mm turbo with a 100mm bend....less of a restriction.

In a ideal world, clearly the turbo would want unhindered access to air for 360deg around the inlet....to a degree throwing a 90deg bend in front of it shuts that down quite a bit. How much depends on size, height etc of that bend.

But ultimately good filtration is better than none. Bigger is simply better ( assuming all units are of equal quality ) And as you say for the street....cleanliness and longevity can trump every last ounce of power.
And yes again, if you can direct cold air into the turbo at all times...that might be better than a slightly less restrictive setup that draws in hot air.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks a bunch for the help guys. I've used AFE's builder to find a filter for my truck, so I was planning on using it again to see my round/conical/oval filter options for just slapping filters directly on the turbos.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:22 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any thoughts on the cobra head intake hoses?

I’ve been looking at these as it seems it maybe my only option other than running a short filter off a s475.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

https://www.physicsforums.com/thread...e-bend.185436/
Old 04-10-2018, 07:42 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

It isn't so much the 90* as the shape of the 90*. If you blew out the curve and gave it plenty of space for air to make the turn, it wouldn't be too bad. Larger tubes will have lower moving air given identical flow rates, so as long as the tube is large enough to slow the air enough to get around the bend without too much friction/turbulence, you know, smooth clean bend plenty of space, like mine is, it will be fine. What you don't want is a sudden, tight turn, like an L shape coupler that you see sometimes. You can just tell by lookng at it that, that isn't an effective shape.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by etijsma

I’ve been looking at these as it seems it maybe my only option other than running a short filter off a s475.
see post 24. I ran a cobra elbow right on the front of my s480 to a big cone filter. It made little difference at 770 hp and even when turned up at the track it only made a couple hundreth difference on or off. But that is just my experience. As always test it and see what happens.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:47 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by etijsma

Cobra design can have advantages.

ie...install a large bellmouth onto the turbo and do a cobra off it. That still gives the turbo a nice air inlet from all directions, even if ultimately the air is channelled from a single direction...but if done right with good pipe size it would be better than a simple 90 stuck onto the turbo.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:03 PM
9 Second Club

Subscription needed unfortunately, but a great video

https://www.motortrendondemand.com/d...ay/0_jmcgjjr4/
Old 05-11-2018, 08:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Subscription needed unfortunately, but a great video

https://www.motortrendondemand.com/d...ay/0_jmcgjjr4/
Screenshot the article if you sub lol. Ps back to back tests between 2 different air filters and I picked up 2 psi lol.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:37 PM
9 Second Club

Basically a budgetish single turbo 5.3 build, 11psi or so and 700hp, or just shy of it. Intended to last forever on 91 octane for a daily driver. They tested all of those filter designs below and basically negligible difference with all of them vs no filter.
Turbo was a BW, never said which model, 5" inlet so adapted to the 6" filters. 400 series though, and they used the Hooker single turbo kit, Dorman LS6 type intake.

Although would be nice to see them try some small filters just to see if or when they do start to create issues. It's a video, so not really screenshottable lol.

Old 05-12-2018, 07:07 AM
10 Second Club

That's pretty interesting...guess there's a difference between turbo and blowers.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
That's pretty interesting...guess there's a difference between turbo and blowers.
Yes, indeed there is. Wanna go fast?.... slap a turbo on the car, want average acceleration?.... put a blower on it . Nevermind me, I'm just being silly because it's track day! If I make more than one pass, I may make a pass without the filter just to see if I can tell a difference.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:31 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Game ova
Yes, indeed there is. Wanna go fast?.... slap a turbo on the car, want average acceleration?.... put a blower on it . Nevermind me, I'm just being silly because it's track day! If I make more than one pass, I may make a pass without the filter just to see if I can tell a difference.
Youre allowed to comment when you finally launch that thing at the track
Old 05-12-2018, 07:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Youre allowed to comment when you finally launch that thing at the track
Old 05-12-2018, 07:57 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Game ova
Im just messing around. I am curious about why turbos wouldn't see the increase but a blower would from a bigger filter.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Im just messing around. I am curious about why turbos wouldn't see the increase but a blower would from a bigger filter.
To be honest, I really don't know. All I can come up with is, maybe the turbo spins at an rpm where it just doesn't matter anymore (within reason), and it's able to overcome the restriction. Whereas the blower doesnt spin fast enough? Again, I really don't know..... just speculation on my part.