Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Air Filter for Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 04:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
You've stated twice that the air filter is a restriction. Is there any evidence to support that as a generic statement ?

There is no reason for a properly sized filter to offer any restriction to be in the slightest bit concerned about. And yes, smooth airflow will be better than turbulent airflow.

And ITB's dont always make more power....they can be tuned and setup to make more power on some applications and yes indeed plenum boxes and filters can be an important integral part of an ITB setup vs running them completely open...but again, generically they do not simply make more power.
Dropping a filter and gaining 50whp in the link I already posted is proof of that. And IRL not everyone has huge engine bays and room for 14" filters. ITB's have been shown plenty to make more power....don't use the 5% to disprove the 95%.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Dropping a filter and gaining 50whp in the link I already posted is proof of that. And IRL not everyone has huge engine bays and room for 14" filters. ITB's have been shown plenty to make more power....don't use the 5% to disprove the 95%.

Compared to what ?

Not all ITB's are the same, nor are all non ITB setups. If you're comparing a bad setup to a good setup...then of course you'd see gains. But again, generically ITB vs other....is a massively vague statement to make.

I'm sure I could take a bad ITB setup and replace it with a good plenum/single throttle design and show improvements everywhere. All that does is prove good is batter than bad.

But the OP in this thread certainly has room for a filter that will not pose him any restriction.

And the link you posted is a sales pitch for one brand of filter. It doesnt show what filter was removed, what size it was, what condition it was in, or indeed any useful details.
So it can be taken for what it is.....purely a biased advert for their own product.

And when a screen like that will filter **** all except rocks.....well, it might suit some...but you could hardly call it a filter.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:21 PM
9 Second Club

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh....php?t=2052450
Old 03-19-2018, 04:40 PM
10 Second Club

Compared to what ?

Not all ITB's are the same, nor are all non ITB setups. If you're comparing a bad setup to a good setup...then of course you'd see gains. But again, generically ITB vs other....is a massively vague statement to make.

I'm sure I could take a bad ITB setup and replace it with a good plenum/single throttle design and show improvements everywhere. All that does is prove good is batter than bad.

But the OP in this thread certainly has room for a filter that will not pose him any restriction.

And the link you posted is a sales pitch for one brand of filter. It doesnt show what filter was removed, what size it was, what condition it was in, or indeed any useful details.
So it can be taken for what it is.....purely a biased advert for their own product.

And when a screen like that will filter **** all except rocks.....well, it might suit some...but you could hardly call it a filter.
Goodness...I didn't know we intentionally try to compare bad setups. ITBs suck and exhaust backpressure rules. You guys win.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:50 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
Just so I'm clear on this, you are saying that the torque is linear with horsepower? 30whp gain....automatically translates to 30rwtq?
Oh boy math. Hope you dont mind If I jump in... love this easy maths...

30 = 30 when RPM = exactly 5252, why:

torque * rpm * 33,000 / 2Pi = horsepower

So really, the term horsepower is a meaningless association between torque and rpm for a rotating force (2 pie) where 33,000lbs is moved 1 foot in 1 minute (thus the revolutions is in units per minute and torque is in units of feet*lbs)

For all intents and purposes, for tuning and otherwise, all we really care about is torque curve, as this generally follows cylinder fill and thus cylinder BMEP at the time. We aim for highest cylinder fill at highest rpm to get max work from an rotating force. We can use any units we want i.e. if I wanted cat power I could say that 500lbs moved 1 foot in 1 minute was cat power and derive another meaningless equation to alter the torque curve into cat power curve.

Power (horsepower, or Watts, or Joules/second, or any other unit of power) is still an important unit to measure is for various reasons, but more often than not we are using it to find torque anyways. for example when designing the shaft of a machine, the power unit is correlated to the stress in the materials, since power contains torque as one of its units this is possible to extract torque from power, if you know how to manipulate the units.

here is a random example for the shaft of a propeller on a boat:
"The solid propeller shaft on a ship extends outward
from the hull. During operation it turns at w = 15 rad/s
when the engine develops 900 kW of power. This causes a
thrust of F on the shaft. If the shaft has an outer
diameter of 250 mm, determine the principal stresses at any
point located on the surface of the shaft."

They are using power, and rotational velocity to determine stresses in the output shaft.

To solve first convert power to N*m/s (newton * meters per second)
then divide that by rad/second to get Torque

then we can calculate normal stress, in plane, and shear stress using that info to properly design a shaft of the appropriate diameter using safety factor required by code or design.

Just running it open can also cause turbulent airflow entering into the compressor and it could make less power from what I've seen too.
I love this. I have seen it happen. Its too bad we can't "see" air or this would be easy to defeat (hint: high frame rate capture smokey air entering turbo?). Its up to us to ensure the path air takes to get to the compressor inlet is as unrestrictive as possible, in general, and yes typically leaving "no path" the inlet just open is going to create intermittent issues with turbulence, especially near the fringes of surge conditions or between them, as the air flow rate is not a steady singular thing but a constantly changing aspect where it may start out fine but as flow increases gradually the incoming air starts to fall apart in it's organization I guess. I believe it needs some sort of 'collecting' before it is allowed near the compressor. I bet there is even a slight compressing effect near the blade at high flow rates, as air coming in moves closer together (in a properly tapered tract) as it nears the blade.

Last edited by kingtal0n; 03-19-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:53 PM
10 Second Club

Now look what went and happened.....
Old 03-19-2018, 05:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
Oh boy math. Hope you dont mind If I jump in... love this easy maths...

30 = 30 when RPM = exactly 5252, why:

torque * rpm * 33,000 / 2Pi = horsepower

So really, the term horsepower is a meaningless association between torque and rpm for a rotating force (2 pie) where 33,000lbs is moved 1 foot in 1 minute (thus the revolutions is in units per minute and torque is in units of feet*lbs)

For all intents and purposes, for tuning and otherwise, all we really care about is torque curve, as this generally follows cylinder fill and thus cylinder BMEP at the time. We aim for highest cylinder fill at highest rpm to get max work from an rotating force. We can use any units we want i.e. if I wanted cat power I could say that 500lbs moved 1 foot in 1 minute was cat power and derive another meaningless equation to alter the torque curve into cat power curve.

Power (horsepower, or Watts, or Joules/second, or any other unit of power) is still an important unit to measure is for various reasons, but more often than not we are using it to find torque anyways. for example when designing the shaft of a machine, the power unit is correlated to the stress in the materials, since power contains torque as one of its units this is possible to extract torque from power, if you know how to manipulate the units.

here is a random example for the shaft of a propeller on a boat:
"The solid propeller shaft on a ship extends outward
from the hull. During operation it turns at w = 15 rad/s
when the engine develops 900 kW of power. This causes a
thrust of F on the shaft. If the shaft has an outer
diameter of 250 mm, determine the principal stresses at any
point located on the surface of the shaft."

They are using power, and rotational velocity to determine stresses in the output shaft.

To solve first convert power to N*m/s (newton * meters per second)
then divide that by rad/second to get Torque

then we can calculate normal stress, in plane, and shear stress using that info to properly design a shaft of the appropriate diameter using safety factor required by code or design.

I love this. I have seen it happen. Its too bad we can't "see" air or this would be easy to defeat (hint: high frame rate capture smokey air entering turbo?). Its up to us to ensure the path air takes to get to the compressor inlet is as unrestrictive as possible, in general, and yes typically leaving "no path" the inlet just open is going to create intermittent issues with turbulence, especially near the fringes of surge conditions or between them, as the air flow rate is not a steady singular thing but a constantly changing aspect where it may start out fine but as flow increases gradually the incoming air starts to fall apart in it's organization I guess.
Yes, but what if I was driving 28.7 mph at a downward angle of 3.8 degrees while eating a slice of papa johns pepperoni pizza?
Old 03-19-2018, 05:54 PM
9 Second Club

Now look what went and happened.....
lol there's no escaping !
Old 03-19-2018, 06:08 PM
9 Second Club

Goodness...I didn't know we intentionally try to compare bad setups. ITBs suck and exhaust backpressure rules. You guys win.

Generally ITB's are used in n/a applications...so yes they do suck.

And if that backpressure is powering a turbo....then yes it rules ! lol
Old 03-19-2018, 06:12 PM
10 Second Club

Generally ITB's are used in n/a applications...so yes they do suck.

And if that backpressure is powering a turbo....then yes it rules ! lol
Oh have mercy.....I would argue but at the risk of KT destroying another thread better just let it die haha.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:02 PM
Banned

teh maths will find you no matter where you go

you carrot run
Old 03-19-2018, 07:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

teh maths will find you no matter where you go

you carrot run
Hopefully you work somewhere as a statistician drawing a deep 6 figure salary.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Game ova
Hopefully you work somewhere as a statistician drawing a deep 6 figure salary.
Hes still in school...
Old 03-19-2018, 07:49 PM
8 Second Club

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

That does not compute. Theres been others who've dyno'd back to back and gained power by removing the filter, i.e. restriction.
Stop posting
Old 03-19-2018, 10:57 PM
Banned

he is trying to argue just for the sake of argument, its a proven trend and even he himself has convinced himself that is what he is here for

Oh have mercy.....I would argue but
I would argue, but [excuse].
With no reason, absolutely has nothing to even argue about and wants to argue.

I say, let it rain, what harm can it do? fill pages and pages of arguments for the sake of doing it... that doesn't sound like a waste of time, of life.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:22 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by rotary1307cc
Stop posting
Someone has to post on this site without being an arrogant ***** like you.

EDIT...I apologize. I hadn't had my morning coffee yet and was cranky lol. Googling literally shows people having it both ways, gaining and losing. The 1 thing that sticks with me is how many people are able to gain boost when removing the filter. More boost is typically more power and would indicate a restriction, hence the reason I'm digging more on this. If you have pertinent info to share it would be nice to see an example.

Last edited by ddnspider; 03-20-2018 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:22 AM
10 Second Club

he is trying to argue just for the sake of argument, its a proven trend and even he himself has convinced himself that is what he is here for

I would argue, but [excuse].
With no reason, absolutely has nothing to even argue about and wants to argue.

I say, let it rain, what harm can it do? fill pages and pages of arguments for the sake of doing it... that doesn't sound like a waste of time, of life.
Don't you have a class to get to or a turbo LS that doesnt make power? You're about due to log your MPG at WOT again
Old 03-20-2018, 12:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

My tuner said my car picked up a pretty good amount of power running no filter vs running a filter. I run a TurboGuard MAXX on mine for this reason.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
My tuner said my car picked up a pretty good amount of power running no filter vs running a filter. I run a TurboGuard MAXX on mine for this reason.
Any chance you've got a graph or numbers or anything to compare?
Old 03-20-2018, 02:13 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by necrocannibal

And what is/was your induction setup ?