Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

CO2 setup info

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CO2 setup info

OK, I have a question. I did search but really didnt see anything titled like this and too many threads to just browse though.

I bought a CO2 system to try and control my WG. It does have a regulator.

Currently I use the attached picture to control boost and it works really well. My MS3 Gold box controls boost via duty cycle. BUT, Its hard to get my launch boost below gate spring pressure which is currently 13.5 lbs. The only way to reduce it below spring pressure is to drop the rpm.

I would like to remove the spring all together and have infinite control over pressures. But Im not sure if this is possible. I see people comment that a small spring is needed.

My question really is, how would I plumb this CO2 air? Would I just put in in the place of the turbo supplied air ? If not, how do i do this?

I have a 3 port solenoid as well.

TIA.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Install a 5psi spring and use duty cycle to control boost for anything more.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm more than likely going to be doing this as well but with a small spring and an on board air compressor. In for info.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

ARB makes a dandy small compressor that comes with its own control for max pressure and such.. Very durable..
Old 04-26-2018, 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by brandon6.0
Install a 5psi spring and use duty cycle to control boost for anything more.
So does the co2 go in place of the turbo pressure port and the plumbing stays as it is now? My tuner said that 2 solenoids was required.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

It depends on how fast you need to trigger the gate, haven't used it like you are, but if you just move the hose from the port on the turbo to the outlet of your supply regulator, with it plumbed like the pic,

Pressure to solenoid, when it opens the actuator will move as far as it can based on pressure, solenoids don't do partial, they are on or off, Sounds like a job for a stepper controlled regulator(Works similar to a IAC but does constant volume at a controllable pressure...) but thats pretty over the top for a boost control. I can't see why you'd need 2 solenoid valves though..
Old 04-27-2018, 01:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regulated co2 pressure into one valve a tee into another valve to vent pressure. The wastegate ties into the tee between the 2 valves. ECU or controller is setup pwm- and just key-on 12v to the valve. Must add Dome pressure sensor so controller knows how much pressure the gate is actually seeing.
Attached Thumbnails CO2 setup info-boostsolenoids.jpg  
Old 04-27-2018, 06:10 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

As always, follow the instructions for the kit/controller you are using. If you're deviating from that or it is not designed to do what you want....then either change or adapt.

If you're wanting CO2 to effectively replace the spring and only retain a single solenoid, then you're going to go through a much higher volume of CO2 than if using a system with 2 solenoids in a fill/vent format.

But in most basic setup...no or very weak spring in top and blow CO2 into the top to keep it shut to increase boost. But with a single 3 port, you will always be venting some of the CO2 when control is active.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:13 PM
TECH Resident

My controller is the MS3 Gold box. And Mike at EFI source does not have info on how to run the CO2 system. So I am trying to go off of guys with experience.

My goal is to have the lower boost levels more controllable and maybe be able to reach higher boost levels than running off the turbo discharge.

Looks like the 2 valve is the way it has to be done.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:03 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

If your controller does not have correct strategies to do what you want...you're making life difficult for yourself.

How wide a range of boost do you need, that you feel CO2 is essential ?

With incorrect strategies, you'll go through a lot of gas....a compressed air source would probably be better for you as t least wastage wouldnt be a concern
Old 04-30-2018, 07:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Co2

I trying to do the same thing. I also have the MS3 Goldbox. I running a single 3 port and just finished pluming it. Id like to get rid of the bottle and weight but everyone told me I need CO2. You guys sound like I don't. I just want to be able to control boost and make the traction control work. Any weight I can get out I'm all about. lol
Attached Thumbnails CO2 setup info-nova-motor-picture.jpg  
Old 04-30-2018, 07:05 AM
TECH Resident

Not sure if the MS3 will control this or not. Ill find out.

I need to be able to create very low boost for launches on no prep surfaces. And some street type racing. Closed street races or top end races. But also need to be able to hit 30psi possibly on the same pass. Have heard that 2 to 2.5 times spring pressure is capable when using manifold pressure like I am. So if I drop the sping pressure then I need a way to go beyond what the max capable pressure is going to be. If thats correct.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:24 AM
TECH Resident

Install it per picture in my first post. Use duty cycle in the gold box. I can help when your ready. Its easy and works very well. I just need lower launch boost but the spring in the gate is 13.5 lbs. And I dont like leaving too far below the converter flash point. But dropping it by 400 rpm dropped the boost to 6 psi. So it may work fine. A **** road may just have to footbrake ot. Lol