Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Short block options

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Short block options

looking into forged short blocks to upgrade my ly6/whipple 2.9. What do think is the best option for around 5k ? Ls3 416? Iron 408? I’d love an ls3 based 427 but I’ve read it’s not a good idea with boost. I was also thinking of buying a new block and putting it together myself but I. Not sure I would save any money
Old 05-16-2018, 08:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I've tried it several different ways and even with good deals on parts and all with the cost of machine shops today you really can't build one or have a machine shop bore,stroke,deck,mill,assemble,balance,etc for what places like thompson or Texas speed sell there ready to go short blocks for. But I would only buy from a reputable sponsor on here so u don't get some eBay half *** short block. I love the 408 or the 383 depends on price I guess but if u can afford it try and be different for the cool factor
Old 05-17-2018, 05:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I’d really like an ls3 based stroker to save some weight . I also was looking at the 427 ci darton sleeved 5.3
Old 05-17-2018, 07:21 AM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

When using the blower you are going to make the power that the blower allows. We recommend a stock stroke build for an increased life and strength of the motor. There is some to gain by going stroker in the way of out of boost TQ but the advantge/disadvantage is really a personal preference. Give us a call if we can help in any way, We do have tons of options.

Thank you for the shout out Dimeomboost!

Thank you,
Kyle
Thompson Motorsports
Old 05-17-2018, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not jus switch ur ly6 to turbo? I love mine and it makes a ton of power with plenty in reserve
Old 05-17-2018, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

It goes pretty good now @13 lbs .be a real pain in the *** to go turbo. It’s set up really nice now with an afco heat exchanger etc.. the SBE is the only thing stopping me from turning it up. . im building a 5.3/s480 right now for a friend. Hopefully I don’t fall in love with it and end up wanting to go turbo. The only kit I’ve seen for g body’s is the cx twin kit
Old 05-17-2018, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thompson
When using the blower you are going to make the power that the blower allows. We recommend a stock stroke build for an increased life and strength of the motor. There is some to gain by going stroker in the way of out of boost TQ but the advantge/disadvantage is really a personal preference. Give us a call if we can help in any way, We do have tons of options.

Thank you for the shout out Dimeomboost!

Thank you,
Kyle
Thompson Motorsports
im always on your website dreaming lol .you guys seem to have the best deals/ reputation .

Old 05-17-2018, 04:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyg
It goes pretty good now @13 lbs .be a real pain in the *** to go turbo. It’s set up really nice now with an afco heat exchanger etc.. the SBE is the only thing stopping me from turning it up. . im building a 5.3/s480 right now for a friend. Hopefully I don’t fall in love with it and end up wanting to go turbo. The only kit I’ve seen for g body’s is the cx twin kit
If you intend on staying with the blower, once you finish the turbo setup for your friend, whatever you do... DO NOT go for a ride in his car. Avoid it like the plague.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:52 PM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thank you sir, Hopefully we will have the opportunity to work with you one day!

im always on your website dreaming lol .you guys seem to have the best deals/ reputation .

Old 05-17-2018, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Game ova
If you intend on staying with the blower, once you finish the turbo setup for your friend, whatever you do... DO NOT go for a ride in his car. Avoid it like the plague.
lol I’ll have to see how it works out. I have spoken to someone on here that had a whipple and went turbo. I seemed to remember him missing the instant torque.i wonder what I could get for my 2.9?
Old 05-17-2018, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing you're going to miss is traction problems at the starting line now they'll be 60 feet out
Old 05-18-2018, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I switched from a Procharger D1SC on an LS2/402 stroker. It ran great and had traction off the line and kept pulling and pulling until redline, like a Centri should...

My TT Iron 408 is a blast to drive and a totally different animal. However, this is a street car and the turbo takes much more maintenance, produces a lot of heat and needs tweaking on tuning every so often with climate changes and especially elevation changes. I'm at 4500ft and occasionally to Sacramento/ Bay area where the car turns into a totally different animal. I mean, it feels like it picks up an easy 150HP/TQ+ lol. (exaggerated I know)

I'd go back to a SC any day as it's simple and predictable. If it were a track car, I'd run my exact setup as it's able to change from 500WHP to 1100WHP with fuel, plugs and tuning.

As always, give and take, there's always a compromise...
Old 05-18-2018, 12:21 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

The LY6 is pretty stout. I wouldn't worry too much about a 2.9 with it.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by BlwnLs1GTO
I switched from a Procharger D1SC on an LS2/402 stroker. It ran great and had traction off the line and kept pulling and pulling until redline, like a Centri should...

My TT Iron 408 is a blast to drive and a totally different animal. However, this is a street car and the turbo takes much more maintenance, produces a lot of heat and needs tweaking on tuning every so often with climate changes and especially elevation changes. I'm at 4500ft and occasionally to Sacramento/ Bay area where the car turns into a totally different animal. I mean, it feels like it picks up an easy 150HP/TQ+ lol. (exaggerated I know)

I'd go back to a SC any day as it's simple and predictable. If it were a track car, I'd run my exact setup as it's able to change from 500WHP to 1100WHP with fuel, plugs and tuning.

As always, give and take, there's always a compromise...
Spoken like someone whose built both. Only comment on the tune is that it would depend if youre OL or CL as far as weather correction. Otherwise......
Old 05-18-2018, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JoeNova
The LY6 is pretty stout. I wouldn't worry too much about a 2.9 with it.
well I read all these ls3 horror stories . Seems like 15lbs with a PD blower is pushing it. I’ve been @13-14lbs for a while now without issues, but my tune is pretty good and water/ meth I’m sure helps. Most of the horror stories I’ve read seem to be tune / fuel related
Old 05-19-2018, 02:48 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

well I read all these ls3 horror stories . Seems like 15lbs with a PD blower is pushing it. I’ve been @13-14lbs for a while now without issues, but my tune is pretty good and water/ meth I’m sure helps. Most of the horror stories I’ve read seem to be tune / fuel related
Compression ratio on an LS3 is a full point higher. 10.7:1 vs 9.6:1. That's going to be a majority of the issues with a blower. If they're not running E85, they're on thin ice.