Old 07-30-2018, 12:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Default Turbo crossover and waste gate question

turbo gurus.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Question. So is it a must to run a flex in my crossover? I have a v band on one side and a factory ball joint style flange on the other side. I figure the ball joint would let it move. Also I saw where someone had their wastegate in the crossover, does that work well, just exhausting from one side? Or maybe it I have problems controlling boost I can install two and have the second on on the crossover.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

All of kbracings kits come with the wastegate in the lower crossover. I would add a flex. When it gets hot it will move all types of ways. The flex will make it easier to take loose and reinstall.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Save the hassle put a flex in it it's cheap insurance that one u take it off it will go back on. The Watergate can go anywhere so long as it is in a spot where air would flow out easily usually near a bend works best if it's not possible then make sure to use as big as u can or 2 smaller ones u just want to get rid of unneeded exhaust pressure
Old 07-30-2018, 07:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

make sure it is the flex with the solid inner liner not the mesh ..... I run a flex and have gate in my crossover... controls boost fine on my 5.3
Old 07-30-2018, 08:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Ok well the flex I have I don’t think it’s got a solid inner liner. Good to know in the waste gate. Thx. I think I may chance it on the crossover. I can always add it later. Save me the expense right now (which I know ain’t much) and the additional work. Thanks guys.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:42 AM
TECH Regular

I wouldn't chance it... think about where the broken mesh will go.... wiping out your turbo might just be the start.... could wipe out more
Old 07-31-2018, 08:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Suncc49
I wouldn't chance it... think about where the broken mesh will go.... wiping out your turbo might just be the start.... could wipe out more
o sorry, I didn’t specify. I’m not using that cgeap *** flex. I’ll get a good one but for now I’m gonna run no flex.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:02 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

I've never ran a flex, and never had any problems. If the turbo is being supported by anything other than the engine, then its a must. If its hard mounted a manifold, there are more reasons not to run one than to run one.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JoeNova
I've never ran a flex, and never had any problems. If the turbo is being supported by anything other than the engine, then its a must. If its hard mounted a manifold, there are more reasons not to run one than to run one.
that’s good to know. I like less complications, less money spent and less points for failure. My turbo is on the manifold, I used .120 wall pipe so it should be supported well, however, the over doer I am, I’m going to put a support bracket from the turbo to the head just in case. Hopefully that will be extra insurance against cracking.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

flex is ideal in the crossover to allow for expansion and movement of the engine during dynamic operation.

wastegate in the cross over is perfect for when the turbine or non turbo side manifold poses a big flow restriction. dumping unwanted exhaust manifold pressure or drive pressure (when its beyond the rule of thumb ratio to boost) will stop a combo choking at high rpm and boost. a combo pushed beyond the limits of turbine flow will cause excessive back pressure on the engine as it cant evacuate the exhaust gases. bear in mind boost goes in and is mixed with fuel, its burnt and then exhausted. as a hot burnt gas its a greater volume than it was before combustion and requires more area to flow post combustion.

for boost control however the gate is best placed in a flow receiving position at the turbo flange or on the turbine housing.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:20 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought Flex Bellows were for crossover pipes not the woven flex joints.
Any input on that?
Old 08-06-2018, 08:01 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Tig
I thought Flex Bellows were for crossover pipes not the woven flex joints.
Any input on that?
my vibrant flex bellow discolored from heat then looked alittle droopy then developed a big crack lol... bad experience here with the bellows
Old 08-06-2018, 08:21 AM
TECH Veteran

I’m gonna run it without one. I guess I like to live life dangerously. I mean I weld in flip flops for Pete’s sake. Lol.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:53 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suncc49
my vibrant flex bellow discolored from heat then looked alittle droopy then developed a big crack lol... bad experience here with the bellows
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
I wont be using any bellows, haha

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
I’m gonna run it without one. I guess I like to live life dangerously. I mean I weld in flip flops for Pete’s sake. Lol.
The last hot side I built I didn't use either woven flex or bellow.
Hahaha, hey, I weld in flip flips too.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:55 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

If your crossover is directly between manifolds like is common in KB/Trick/Dirty Dingo and now Holley style manifolds, you're basically just merging 2 solid mounted manifolds together. No flex is needed.
There should be almost 0 torsional offset between the two manifolds under any circumstance.
I get a major chuckle when people run these style manifolds and add a flex to the crossover because solid mounting it will "make it crack". Two months later, they are replacing a cracked flex.

Stop shooting yourselves in the foot.

Quick Reply: Turbo crossover and waste gate question