Notices
Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My first single turbo build

Old 01-13-2019, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After talking more with my son. He was under the car, I put it in gear, the front of the driveshaft was moving around. I think it’s the output. I’ll tear it down soon and see.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:50 PM
10 Second Club

How much would you say your race weight is? Getting close to 3900 lbs or so?
Old 01-13-2019, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I gotta weigh it. I have not taken any weight out the car. I weigh 190. Had 3/4 tank of gas and a trunk full of junk and a stereo system with a sub box. I’d say at least 3900. Whatever a stock one weighs. Add a turbo system (45lbs) and me and the other 50+lbs of junk.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

So here’s a little bit of story. You can call it excuses, but it is what it is, and I don’t like to lie.....you guys can probably tell I’m pretty stand up fella. At least I like to think I am. Anyways. My goal for today was 10.90 at least at 127 ish. I didn’t get there. And a few people predicted I’d run low 11’s at mid 120’s. Well they were right, to an extent. I did break the car but I was having some laptop issues the whole time. For some reason my backup laptop (had to send my good one off for warranty repair) kept on not reading my data from my logs correctly. It wouldn’t display them in the histogram correctly so I was having to guess what I needed to do. The fueling was working right so I got that pretty close and my spark adavance was too. I was getting 8 to 11 degrees of spark even tho I was commanding 13-14 degrees. I mixed my fuel to be 100 octane so it should be good with that timing. One of my passes was a doozy, it made 12lbs and went slower. My guess is it was way rich because I never hit 12lbs before and I had it set to dump fuel for a safety if it ever went over 12lbs. I forgot to remove that, and I only saw a max of 11.2 lbs on the street. So after trying to figure out why it was pulling timing and fixed the fueling, I max another pass and it breaks. I’m now leaning more towards the driveshaft broke. I’ll have more info later. But for now, here’s some pics for you.

Best pass. I only got three chances so it is what it is. Left lane

And my buddy had to come get me.

Last edited by Kfxguy; 01-13-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not by any means a truck guy, but you buddy's truck is COLD. Id rock that as a daily.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Game ova View Post
Not by any means a truck guy, but you buddy's truck is COLD. Id rock that as a daily.
yea it is a nice truck. I did a tune for him the other day. He has a 4.8, said it pulled my car way better than it normally pulls. And he picked up 2mpg from the highest he ever averaged. Plus itís way more peppy, I didnít even notice on the hour ride home that the car was back there.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Think I found the problem

Old 01-14-2019, 02:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Kfxguy View Post
Think I found the problem

https://youtu.be/_6UBQyzgAPQ
Busted output shaft? If so, I really hope its just a fluke. Or is that just another thing that 4l60s are known for? Imo, at your power level, you should NOT be killing output shafts, not even stressing them tbh.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Game ova View Post
Busted output shaft? If so, I really hope its just a fluke. Or is that just another thing that 4l60s are known for? Imo, at your power level, you should NOT be killing output shafts, not even stressing them tbh.

well judging by my mph and weight, I should be around 550rwhp? And I agree, I should not have broke that shaft. I should have broke the input shaft before this one. So far my plans are to get a hardened shaft input and output from transmissioncenter.net. They have a induction hardened and shot peened stock output shaft for like $160 and the input is a 4l65 which is stronger and they have it hardened. Itís on sale for $59. I might as well while Iím in it. I also plan on changing some of the hard parts while itís apart. The reaction shaft does get fatigued. Iíve seen those break a lot. I think thereís an upgraded one. So it may take me a while to get back together. While itís apart, Iíll do my upgraded down pipe too and my exhaust with a cutout. I need to take some weight out of it too while Iím at it.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice build! What wheels are on your buddies truck?
Old 01-14-2019, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well judging by my mph and weight, I should be around 550rwhp? And I agree, I should not have broke that shaft. I should have broke the input shaft before this one. So far my plans are to get a hardened shaft input and output from transmissioncenter.net. They have a induction hardened and shot peened stock output shaft for like $160 and the input is a 4l65 which is stronger and they have it hardened. Itís on sale for $59. I might as well while Iím in it. I also plan on changing some of the hard parts while itís apart. The reaction shaft does get fatigued. Iíve seen those break a lot. I think thereís an upgraded one. So it may take me a while to get back together. While itís apart, Iíll do my upgraded down pipe too and my exhaust with a cutout. I need to take some weight out of it too while Iím at it.
Do all the basic weight reduction Tow brace skid plate spare tire and jack front and rear crash bars are good for another 30lbs rear seat delete. All that together would make a nice drop in weight. I have mine down to 3490 without me in it and half a tank of gas.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chris25 View Post
Do all the basic weight reduction Tow brace skid plate spare tire and jack front and rear crash bars are good for another 30lbs rear seat delete. All that together would make a nice drop in weight. I have mine down to 3490 without me in it and half a tank of gas.
I took the gas tank brace out and the tow bar off. left the under shield. cant take my seats out. my kids ride back there. i'll remove all the seats and see if i can lighten them tho. may rethink having a sub back there. i can just put a 8" free air in the rear deck. I'm going to go weigh the car and then get to work. I have some ideas. I can get rid of the stupid heavy exhaust. I can run 3" stainless single up to the muffler and then aluminum out the muffler to the tail pipe.

tell me a little more about your weight reduction....
Old 01-14-2019, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSleeper1500 View Post
Nice build! What wheels are on your buddies truck?
custom made Raceline 24x9 and 24x10

truck rides extremely well too.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you guys had my car, and wanted to trap 130+ and run about 10.60-10.80....what would you do? I ran that on 10psi and 9-10 degrees timing. think i should add a little more spring to the wastegate? install a 4 port solonoid to raise boost a little higher? two step launch control (i'm scared of driveline breakage now tho)? leave timing where it is and turn it up?
Old 01-14-2019, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took the gas tank brace out and the tow bar off. left the under shield. cant take my seats out. my kids ride back there. i'll remove all the seats and see if i can lighten them tho. may rethink having a sub back there. i can just put a 8" free air in the rear deck. I'm going to go weigh the car and then get to work. I have some ideas. I can get rid of the stupid heavy exhaust. I can run 3" stainless single up to the muffler and then aluminum out the muffler to the tail pipe.

tell me a little more about your weight reduction....
All the basic stuff- tow brace - toe rods deleted -coilovers- LT'S - rear seat delete -skid plate- front and rear crash bar -exhaust shielding - aluminum driveshaft - spare tire removed - just about everything in the trunk I could get out. just what I can think of off the top of my head.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

If you guys had my car, and wanted to trap 130+ and run about 10.60-10.80....what would you do? I ran that on 10psi and 9-10 degrees timing. think i should add a little more spring to the wastegate? install a 4 port solonoid to raise boost a little higher? two step launch control (i'm scared of driveline breakage now tho)? leave timing where it is and turn it up?
I'd be interested to see how it runs if you short shift it, I see you shifting at 7k, but I really wonder if the car is making any power up that high. But yea, you're gonna have to start leaning on the car to crest a 130 trap speed, I would do it with boost if I were you. May want some meth though, being sbe and pump gas, especially with that heat pump, aka China 7875. Not ******* the turbo, as I run one myself, but it is what it is.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:03 PM
10 Second Club

Depends do you want a nice daily capable car or a drag car or some where in between? I say for that mph and ET goal keep the car nice and add power. Get it on 12 psi with good fuel (E85) or meth injection and run more timing. Get some good track wheels 15" with skinnies up front and get that 60' down. If you could 60' 1.5x you would only need to trap 127ish to get those times.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice build, I checked your car out in the staging lanes and later got to run with you. I'm actually car 36 in the right lane on that ticket lol.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LaBLKv6Z View Post
Nice build, I checked your car out in the staging lanes and later got to run with you. I'm actually car 36 in the right lane on that ticket lol.
I think i remember talking to you. I was with my two sons, I told you I liked the color. Thats awesome mph too!
Old 01-15-2019, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think i remember talking to you. I was with my two sons, I told you I liked the color. Thats awesome mph too!
Ah that's right cool deal man. Thanks, the new engine only has 700 miles on it lol. Hope to see you up and running again soon.

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: