Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My first single turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 10:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 546 Likes on 426 Posts

Here’s some more info and pics on the BOV. I rebuilt mine last night. Seals perfectly now. And should last a very long time.

Look how this crap was off center.

I center drilled it in my mill. Then I machined a bronze valve guide for it. I drilled it out .001 smaller than the valve stem and honed it to size.

And Check this video out real quick. Only a couple seconds long, but shows you the precision (lmao) machining of the valve.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This is a really cool build and a great thread. I love the problem solving on your part.

Edit: I meant to ask; how do you like the Dorman LS2 and who did the porting? I have an LS6 an due to my personality I feel the need to change parts and was looking at that intake. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2019, 01:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JosephIV
This is a really cool build and a great thread. I love the problem solving on your part.

Edit: I meant to ask; how do you like the Dorman LS2 and who did the porting? I have an LS6 an due to my personality I feel the need to change parts and was looking at that intake. Thanks!
Thanks. It was a bit of work but i went the extra mile on whatever i could so i would not have problems.

I ported the dorman. Actually didnt port it, matched the ports on the inside because it didnt line up well from the factory. It pulled noticeably harder in the mid range and top end. Bottom end didnt seem to change either way. I want to swap back to the Ls6 intake now that i have a turbo, It's a little more responsive now, more than i like. I kinda like a lazy pedal and the smaller throttle body on the ls6 will give me that. The 92mm throttle body and this intake makes it very responsive. It was good when it was NA but seems like its even moreso with the turbo. If you want to swap, we can work something out. Pm me and i'll give you my number and we can discuss. The dorman was almost a bolt on affair, but not quite. I made it to where it was and its factory like. I'm very picky.
I port my own heads and heads for other people. I'd say I'm a bit above average at it, I have access to a flow bench also. so its no hack job on the intake clean up. And it holds at least 10psi so far lol
Old 01-07-2019, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Awesome build man
Old 01-08-2019, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great build, I really enjoyed this! That manifold must have taken forever to work out, you're tight on space in there.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CasperCasper
Great build, I really enjoyed this! That manifold must have taken forever to work out, you're tight on space in there.

yes it did. I redid it about three times until I was happy with it. That took the longest by far. Everything else was straightforward. I wasn’t happy with clearance so I kept starting over. I did not want to relocate the battery to the trunk or heat anything sensitive up. I attained all my goals, but it wasn’t easy. Now I have friends wanting me to built their setups. I’ve already accepted one job. And two more possibly if I accept lol.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Hey guys, watch this short video clip and tell me if you think it pulls good? Does it seem to pull good to 7000? What’s your thoughts? I still have a little tuning to do, put a better wastegate on it and put a much better down pipe. Going to the track tomorrow to see what’s it’s at.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
Hey guys, watch this short video clip and tell me if you think it pulls good? Does it seem to pull good to 7000? What’s your thoughts? I still have a little tuning to do, put a better wastegate on it and put a much better down pipe. Going to the track tomorrow to see what’s it’s at.

https://youtu.be/_0lEqB2UbgU
I dunno man, seems ok. But as for track times, prolly low 11s @122-125mph.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Game ova
I dunno man, seems ok. But as for track times, prolly low 11s @122-125mph.
Dang, that disheartening. I expected more than that in its current state. The only thing i could go by was i roll raced a 2018 10 speed mustang when i was on 5lbs, 10.5-10.8 afr and i could edge him out on top end. Now my afr is in the mid 11's and im on about 10lbs and having the correct spark plugs. if it trapped 127+ id be happy with that. but if it trapped 122, i'd be disgusted lol
Old 01-12-2019, 01:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Dang, that disheartening. I expected more than that in its current state. The only thing i could go by was i roll raced a 2018 10 speed mustang when i was on 5lbs, 10.5-10.8 afr and i could edge him out on top end. Now my afr is in the mid 11's and im on about 10lbs and having the correct spark plugs. if it trapped 127+ id be happy with that. but if it trapped 122, i'd be disgusted lol
Wasnt trying to diss your whip, but going by what I generally see GTOS run like boosted, that's about where I'm at with it. It's a lot of car to motivate. And those new stangs, they are mid to high 11s all day @115-117. Had to go out to the garage and pull a slip.

Last edited by Game ova; 01-12-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Wasnt trying to diss your whip, but going by what I generally see GTOS run like boosted, that's about where I'm at with it. It's a lot of car to motivate. And those new stangs, they are mid to high 11s all day @115-117. Had to go out to the garage and pull a slip.
nah I didn’t take it as a diss.

Whats that slip from?
Old 01-12-2019, 01:44 PM
TECH Junkie

nah I didn’t take it as a diss.

Whats that slip from?
This was from a cat I ran a couple years ago. It was a new 5ohh, i believe it was a stick car though, can't remember. I was right lane. I've seen many of them run, and that's pretty much where they are trap wise, although i've seen the ET better than what's on this slip.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:36 PM
TECH Veteran

This was from a cat I ran a couple years ago. It was a new 5ohh, i believe it was a stick car though, can't remember. I was right lane. I've seen many of them run, and that's pretty much where they are trap wise, although i've seen the ET better than what's on this slip.
yea you can’t go by that slip. The car I raced was a new 10 speed auto car. They are a good bit faster out the box. On average they run high 11’s at 119-120mph. I thought it was just YouTube glory runs but my buddy saw a couple at the track a few weeks ago running high 11’s trapping close to 120. And I’m not just saying that to make myself feel/look better (well maybe I am lol). I guess I’ll find out tomorrow. Better bring some tools with me to turn that bitch up if I any happy. It’s on about 10lbs right now.

Not sure exactly what my boost is. Here’s the deal......
i had no intercooler for a bit. So I had my manual boost controller reference hooked to the compressor side of the turbo. Then my cheapie China gauge is hooked to the manifold. I was making about 4-5lbs at that time. Added an intercooler and the boost dropped to 2–3lbs. So o know my intercooler isn’t ideal because it looses 1-2psi. Then I added a electronic boostcontroller and the reference for the controller is still on the turbo, which is fed to a gauge with the controller. That’s not an accurate place to read boost because it’s losing through the intercooler. Also have noticed that my peak on my controller was always higher by a couple psi vs my map sensor in my logs. So there’s that too. I gotta relocate the line to my controller. Probably be faster still. It’s reading 11.2psi peak right now.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Was out playing around. Didn’t let air out tires. Ran it on setting number one of 6 on my boost controller which is the neutered setting in first gear so it’ll hook. Second gear is also 2psi less and so is third. I didn’t video 6 because it’s not going to hook on the street. Gonna run it at the track on neutered setting for my first pass. Then I’ll start turning it up.
It’s a little lazy right at first in first gear because I have the boost set at 3psi

Just looked at my tune and the timing was too low when it’s out of boost. Was just trying to be safe. I added some back and I’ll test again in a little while.

Last edited by Kfxguy; 01-12-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:55 AM
TECH Veteran

First pass. Neutered street tune. Low boost. 11.55 @ 123.35mph. It’s got a lot left in in. I ran it on low boost so I would make sure I at least get one pass not spinning. They done shut the track down twice since I been here and I’ve only been able to make one pass so far

Old 01-13-2019, 12:02 PM
TECH Junkie

First pass. Neutered street tune. Low boost. 11.55 @ 123.35mph. It’s got a lot left in in. I ran it on low boost so I would make sure I at least get one pass not spinning. They done shut the track down twice since I been here and I’ve only been able to make one pass so far

Nice pass. What exactly is low boost? If I remember correctly, you were around 12psi?
Old 01-13-2019, 02:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Low boost is 2.5 in first. 6 in second and 9 in third.

Made another pass after. Little tweaking. But on the 1-2 shift it cut out, too much tq management. Went 11.20 @ 125. That was on 10.2lbs boost. I saw 12lbs on one pass but I had way too much fuel and it drowned it. I had fatter tended it up a while back because I didn’t want to go over 11. The highest I’ve seen on the street was 11.2. It hit 12.2, went real rich and went slower. Made another pass, broke the output shaft on the trans. Headed to go get a trailer right nowEdit: I was not getting the boost I was commanding. After going through logs, thinking my map sensor was failing because it was reading low, around the 7 psi range....i later found out the the v band clamp on my crossover pipe had broken and it was in fact dropping boost like my log was showing.

Last edited by Kfxguy; 08-23-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Low boost is 2.5 in first. 6 in second and 9 in third.

Made another pass after. Little tweaking. But on the 1-2 shift it cut out, too much tq management. Went 11.20 @ 125. That was on 10.2lbs boost. I saw 12lbs on one pass but I had way too much fuel and it drowned it. I had fatter tended it up a while back because I didn’t want to go over 11. The highest I’ve seen on the street was 11.2. It hit 12.2, went real rich and went slower. Made another pass, broke the output shaft on the trans. Headed to go get a trailer right now
Man that sucks. At least you were able to at least have SOME fun on your track day. I'm really surprised that you munched an output shaft like that, sounds strange.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Man that sucks. At least you were able to at least have SOME fun on your track day. I'm really surprised that you munched an output shaft like that, sounds strange.
im saying it’s the output. But my son is who looked under the car while i was giving it a little gas. Might be the driveshaft. But it sounded like metal breaking and not the rubber coupler.(It was the output shaft lol)

Last edited by Kfxguy; 08-23-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:39 PM
TECH Junkie

im saying it’s the output. But my son is who looked under the car while i was giving it a little gas. Might be the driveshaft. But it sounded like metal breaking and not the rubber coupler.
Yikes! Probably killed your roller clutch when whatever it was let go too. But i've seen you say that you DIY your own trannys, so at least it won't cost you a bunch.

Quick Reply: My first single turbo build