Notices
Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My first single turbo build

Old 08-03-2018, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

And here’s my tig torch for the tool junkies. I’m a big tool junkie, I like neat and different stuff. Being able to see allowed me to get in crevices much easier. Highly recommend

And here’s a close up how my weld looks grey. Now I have to go back over it.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

So anyways. I had a few more parts I needed arrive. I wasn’t happy with the 3” pipe clearance on my cold side so I ordered 2.5” parts. Mainly just some silicon couplers and a bov tube. I didn’t like how long the bov tube was so I had to shorten it. Now there’s no bead left on the pipe so boost may blow the pipe off. So after looking for bead rollers and seeing they were $200 or more, I decided to make one. Only cost me $0.00 lol. Took maybe 2 minutes too. I cut the snout off some crimpers. Made no other changes. It crimps a perfect bead on the pipe like it was welded. Check it out....

Here’s the start. Tool shown.

Little more

Here’s half way around. You can tell it rolls the front too so the couplers slide over easy.

Side view. It actually looks like a welded bead. Looks better in person than pics.

Last edited by Kfxguy; 05-08-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok fellas, I’m caught up to about where I’m at. Well sort of. I started making my crossover pipe. But I’m dead in the water right now because of my busted *** hose. I’ve got another one on order but I screwed up and ordered it from Eastwood. Their shipping sucks! I should have learned from the last two times I bought from them. I ordered a hose on Monday and Thursday I get a ship notification. It was in stock too. I was hoping to get it by this weekend so I can get the welding done but noooooo, someone gotta take their sweet time shipping. That’s ok, I won’t order from them again.

This weekend my my plans are to get my oil lines done. I have to take the timing cover off so I can drill and tap it for the drain. Unless someone has a quicker idea? I really am not looking forward to pulling the timing cover to be honest. Ugh.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

Congrats on putting the work in. I don't see you having any issues trapping over 120.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Game ova View Post
Congrats on putting the work in. I don't see you having any issues trapping over 120.
thanks. You making me want to work on it tonight lol. I pulled something in my back a couple days ago and Iím having a hard time getting around. So Iím trying to take it easy this weekend. I think Iím gonna at least drain the coolant and pull the radiator out. Then see how I feel. I really need to get the timing cover off.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

On gate pressure, on street tires, through the exhaust (cutout closed) ..... and leaving in vacuum. And with a little bit of spin. You will be fine.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Guys. Help me out real quick. I’m going to have a blanket on the turbo and wrap the down pipe but I want to put some sort of heat blocking sheet right above the turbo on my hood to ensure the heat doesn’t damage my hood. Ideas?

Last edited by Kfxguy; 05-08-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

On gate pressure, on street tires, through the exhaust (cutout closed) ..... and leaving in vacuum. And with a little bit of spin. You will be fine.
https://youtu.be/ksIIaQh-u9k

hell yea brochacho! Iíd be happy with that. What boost you running? Can you give me some more details?
Old 08-03-2018, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Kfxguy View Post

hell yea brochacho! Iíd be happy with that. What boost you running? Can you give me some more details?
if I remember correctly, that pass was 7.8-8psi. This is with a 6.0, full weight f body and China 7875, 2.73 gear.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Guys. Help me out real quick. Iím gong to have a blanket on the turbo and wrap the down pipe but I want to put some sort of heat blocking sheet right above the turbo on my hood to ensure the heat doesnít damage my hood. Ideas?
DEI reflect-a-cool
Old 08-03-2018, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

if I remember correctly, that pass was 7.8-8psi. This is with a 6.0, full weight f body and China 7875, 2.73 gear.
what cam and were the heads ported? Thatís some pretty good mph for not even trying hard!
Old 08-03-2018, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

what cam and were the heads ported? Thatís some pretty good mph for not even trying hard!
Tu1 cam and stone stock 799s. The car has been 10.33 @140 on a 19.5psi roll on. Will go much faster.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by truckdoug View Post
DEI reflect-a-cool
  1. thx. I ordered a 24x24 piece of it.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tu1 cam and stone stock 799s. The car has been 10.33 @140 on a 19.5psi roll on. Will go much faster.
https://youtu.be/tRTkZcQLj50

thats stout! What cam is that, I’m not familiar. Is it a stock bottom end? Didn’t gap the rings?

Last edited by Kfxguy; 05-08-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

Cheapest way for heat shield is off the bottom of a junk car like a mustang or fbody where it kept the muffler from heating up the floor boards they cut with a pair of tin snips and there dimpled aluminum. My turbo almost touches my hood no blanket on it no heat shield and it hasn't damaged it so it's up to u. If money becomes an issue sell the heads u bought and use a pair of stock heads for the psi your running stock heads baby cam stock bottom end can do 500 no easy. When you weld your pipes do yourself a favor stick your argon hose inside your pipe tape up both end. Use tungsten to poke a hole in the far end to push oxygen out. This will make nice smooth welds inside the pipe no air restrictions and no crusty **** to damage a motor one day. I build reactors and some of the largest heat exchangers In the United States if it works for them it's good for my turbo pipe lol
Old 08-03-2018, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dimeomboost View Post
Cheapest way for heat shield is off the bottom of a junk car like a mustang or fbody where it kept the muffler from heating up the floor boards they cut with a pair of tin snips and there dimpled aluminum. My turbo almost touches my hood no blanket on it no heat shield and it hasn't damaged it so it's up to u. If money becomes an issue sell the heads u bought and use a pair of stock heads for the psi your running stock heads baby cam stock bottom end can do 500 no easy. When you weld your pipes do yourself a favor stick your argon hose inside your pipe tape up both end. Use tungsten to poke a hole in the far end to push oxygen out. This will make nice smooth welds inside the pipe no air restrictions and no crusty **** to damage a motor one day. I build reactors and some of the largest heat exchangers In the United States if it works for them it's good for my turbo pipe lol

thx. I already have the heads on. I had the stock 241ís (I think) and now itís got nicely massaged 243ís. My thought process is the more efficient I can make the motor flow the less psi Iíll have to have to get to my goal. I do plan on stepping the cam down some.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I went ahead and pulled the radiator. Cleaning up in that area. Addressing some minor things I needed to do a long time ago while I’m at it. I’m gonna try and machine some aluminum blocks with rubber hose inserts for the top radiator mounts. That will let me tilt the radiator forward about 1/2-3/4” so I’ll have a touch more clearance on my blow off valve. It’s closer than I like to the power steering pump pulley. I’m beating myself up on the cam right now though. I have the timing cover off. It’s a pain in the *** to do all this again when I wanna change the cam but I really don’t have the cash for it right now. I can always sell my cam when I pull it out.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...rbo-build.html
Old 08-05-2018, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I need you guys opinion. I’m working on my drain right now. I ordered an aluminum fitting but I made this one up today just to see if it may work better. The only downfall I can think of is its copper. Not sure if that matters. I plan on powder coating it black. Any drawbacks to doing this? It would be jb welded in but the cover is threaded for it too. Jb weld as a precaution.

Last edited by Kfxguy; 08-05-2018 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:50 PM
Teching In

This thread has given me some motivation. Thank you for that. Awesome read before bed. I am going to stay tuned to follow the progress. I have a ls that I want to turbo myself and dump into a stripped out camaro that I came across lol. Nice job so far. I am excited to see some more progress.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks! Glad I could help motivate someone lol.

I dont have much of an update. I’m kinda sitting dead in the water right now. Im waiting on parts. I had put my cam for sale but I’m not so sure I wanna sell it so I hope no one wants it. I’m waiting on parts for my welding machine too. I did get in the last silicon coupler I was waiting on so I could finished connecting my cold side. I snapped these pics

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: