My first single turbo build - Page 3 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My first single turbo build

Old 08-07-2018, 07:03 PM
TECH Veteran

that drain looks legit to me. probably better than most.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:12 PM
Teching In

So what is your plans for the, "wiring," on this car?
Old 08-07-2018, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by truckdoug View Post
that drain looks legit to me. probably better than most.
well unfortunately I ditched it. I decided that it would be easier to use an 10an fitting with a hose barb and use some factory type crimp clamps on it. I just figured for future removal it may be easier.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DustyTees2003 View Post
So what is your plans for the, "wiring," on this car?

as far as what?
Old 08-08-2018, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I mocked up and tacked the wastegate in place. I’m gonna have to shorten the pipe tho because my down pipe touches the top of my wastegate. Don’t mind my welds either. I’ve got to go back over all of them. I’ve been fighting contamination this whole time and didn’t know why. My argon hose had a hole in it and I just got my new torch setup in yesterday. Welds are looking worlds better now.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:10 PM
Teching In

How are you tuning the car?
Old 08-08-2018, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DustyTees2003 View Post
How are you tuning the car?
Iím just gonna run the stock tune for now. Just kidding, I saw a guy a few days ago the put a turbo on his car and he was running the stock tune and I was just in disbelief. I have hp tuners. I donít have much forced induction experience but Iíll figure it out. I have a wideband and I know to take it easy. I do have a buddy whoís well versed in tuning that lives up the road from me so if I need his help he will be glad to. I figure it wonít be too hard. Iíve already got the time dialed n/a and I didnít change anything else. Iíll pull timing under load and fatten the mixture under load. I have a custom operating system I could use if I have problems using the maf but at low boost I should be ok. Itís a learning process. I was actually shopping for pistons and rods today. I plan on pulling the engine out after I get through putting an engine in my sons 4th gen ss camaro. It has a window in that block lol. Bought it that way, project car. Probably do 5.3 and single turbo on it if this project turns out well.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didn’t have much energy to mess with it tonight so I wrapped the down pipe. Just getting discouraged I guess. Things keep coming up to where I don’t have much time to work on it so in poor decision I just don’t mess with it even if I have an hour here or there. I know, if I do nothing, nothing will get done. Anyways, I’m not too good at this pipe wrapping. I’m gonna have to go watch some videos on it or something because it’s just not turning out the way I want it to. Wonder if I can use a dab of high temp silicon at the beginning to hold it in place? Probably gets too hot.

Well I put the down pipe on after wrapping it just in case the wrap caused figment issues. It didn’t. I only have one plug wire I have to worry with. I can handle that. Probably put a 90 degree boot on it. Here’s what it looks like

Old 08-09-2018, 10:45 AM
"I MAID THEESE"

looks great man
Old 08-09-2018, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

I see you have metal zip ties on the wrap. Did you zip tie it down where you started also? That's what I have done in the past to hold it while I start wrapping.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:47 PM
TECH Veteran

i gave up on those metal zip ties. ******* kept shreddin me to bits.

bought a clamptite tool and some stainless wire. wayyyy better.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ascastil View Post
I see you have metal zip ties on the wrap. Did you zip tie it down where you started also? That's what I have done in the past to hold it while I start wrapping.

i folded it at the end and wrapped it over itself and pyllwd it tight. It stayed while I was wrapping but I did put a tie down there.

I lije the safty wire idea much better. That will be my next purchase. Thanks truckdoug
Old 08-09-2018, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Kfxguy View Post

Iím just gonna run the stock tune for now. Just kidding, I saw a guy a few days ago the put a turbo on his car and he was running the stock tune and I was just in disbelief. I have hp tuners. I donít have much forced induction experience but Iíll figure it out. I have a wideband and I know to take it easy. I do have a buddy whoís well versed in tuning that lives up the road from me so if I need his help he will be glad to. I figure it wonít be too hard. Iíve already got the time dialed n/a and I didnít change anything else. Iíll pull timing under load and fatten the mixture under load. I have a custom operating system I could use if I have problems using the maf but at low boost I should be ok. Itís a learning process. I was actually shopping for pistons and rods today. I plan on pulling the engine out after I get through putting an engine in my sons 4th gen ss camaro. It has a window in that block lol. Bought it that way, project car. Probably do 5.3 and single turbo on it if this project turns out well.
Very nice!!! My roommate has hp tuners and I am trying to put the short block I was given together and boosting that lol.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Geez. I just typed a novel and it disappeared. Ugh. Anyways. Getting excited again. Happy with the wastegate placement now. Pics.

It’s stupid little things like this that I have to do to make my life easier in the long run, and it eats up more time. Welded the nutz in place. Yea, my first go round with them last night caused some curse words. Kept dropping those nutz. It was no fun.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I decided to address my crankcase evac or should I say breather setup today. I read and read and just got more confused on what I wanted to do. So I decided to think less complicated about it. Basically what I need to do is vent any pressures in the crankcase. Of course if you knew me, I’m thinking up this over complicated system to draw vaccum on it and decided let’s try something simple for the time being. It may or may not work. I looked at the Mighty Mouse setups and I like those. I’ve spent enough money already and they are pretty proud of them do I decided to make my own. Well actually I had a catch can already but it wasn’t vented. So what did is added another fitting on the side and then machined a hole to fit a pop in filter. Even machined the groove for it to catch and retain the filter. At first, as usual I tried to over complicate it. I drill and tapped it. Screws a fitting in and drilled the hole in the filter a little larger for the big fitting I used. Meh. Looked red neck. So then I was like doh! I have a lathe. And here is the result. Simple yet clean.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Last night I wasted some time. I made this block. It’s aluminum with a rubber insert. It’s purpose was to take the place of the rubber donut at the top of the radiator but notice the hole is offset. It pushed the radiator 1/2” further forward in an effort to give me more room for intake hose and blow off valve. I did want to grind on my fans to make room so I thought this would be better. It works great however there’s not much flex in the rubber so I was afraid it would end up breaking the peg off the radiator at the worst time I could think of and leave me stranded. Time wasted. Again. I ordered some 3/4” thick rubber block and I’m going to make the whole thing out of rubber. Just in case. See the stupid little crap that I do. Smh.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Cool build man! Excited to see how it does at the track for you
Old 08-12-2018, 02:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dumb_SS View Post
Cool build man! Excited to see how it does at the track for you
thanks! Hopefully Iíll get it in the 10ís.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Update.

What a pain in the ***! Trying finish the crossover and it’s not cooperating. No matter how many times I tried I could not get the last joining pipe close enough. I ended up with this gap. Ugh

So I made some pie cuts. I cut a few extras just in case.

Tucks good

It don’t hang any lower than the trans

Got it all tacked up. Looking good. Aaaaaand......it don’t fit. Ugh. Something must have moved on me. I got frustrated and called it a night. It was past midnight anyways. I ordered the correct flex bellows for a turbo setup from ace race parts after I came inside. I’m not gonna fight with this thing every time I take it off. And btw..... I HATE V band clamps!

Old 08-12-2018, 10:24 AM
TECH Veteran

yeah me too. I switched to marman flanges.

Search this Thread

About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: