Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My first single turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 02:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 548 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by panda240ss
i pray its not your engine :prayers:

it ran ran too smooth and started up too easy to be the engine. Plus it made a loud bam noise and no rattling after.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

time for 4l80e ?
Old 02-25-2019, 03:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
I agree, upgrade the driveline. But low 11s and mid 120s isn't anywhere near "dedicated drag car" status.
i said his time an mph was a good street car . or he could build a dedicated drag car
Old 02-25-2019, 04:14 PM
TECH Veteran

I’m trying to decide what trans I want. 4l80 or 6l80 with a smaller stall. I definitely don’t want a drag car.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
I’m trying to decide what trans I want. 4l80 or 6l80 with a smaller stall. I definitely don’t want a drag car.
From what i've seen, I'd do the 4l80 and skip the 6l80. Seems like when people start putting real steam to them, those 6l80s don't hang out too long. Again, the tried and true speech. 4l80 is a known reliable transmission, that doesn't require spending an arm, leg, sacrificing your firstborn, in combination with a sorcerers ritual to get it to live. Could even do a full manual and skip all the tuning riff raff.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:39 PM
TECH Veteran

From what i've seen, I'd do the 4l80 and skip the 6l80. Seems like when people start putting real steam to them, those 6l80s don't hang out too long. Again, the tried and true speech. 4l80 is a known reliable transmission, that doesn't require spending an arm, leg, sacrificing your firstborn, in combination with a sorcerers ritual to get it to live. Could even do a full manual and skip all the tuning riff raff.

heres where I’m at with all this. My most important concern is to keep the car streetsble, function like stock and not tear it up or rig it up or butcher it. Before I’d ever put a turbo 400 or a full manual 4l80, I’d put the car back to mildly modded and sell it and start over with something else. But, I don’t want to do that although that is a consideration. I like this car, it’s a nice car and I don’t want to ruin it. I’d rather let it go and ruin a 5th gen camaro or something. I like the rarity of this car. You hardly see them and when people see it, it always causes someone to come up to me and start talking about it. A camaro, everyone has or has had one. No offense. I’ve had a couple myself. I do like them, but I like to be different. Hence the 6 speed. Also as it is around here, a 4l80 is like gold and you can pick up a 6 speed for cheap. And they are more common to find. I’m still trying to consider my course of action. I have about two weeks to decide anyways. I’ve got other side jobs that need to be completed first anyways. Need the $$ for this shenanigans anyways lol.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:04 PM
TECH Junkie

My most important concern is to keep the car streetsble, Before I’d ever put a turbo 400 or a full manual 4l80
Ok cool, I can dig that. So put a fully automatic 4l80 in it then, I mean, it IS an overdrive transmission. So there should be no issues with driveability. It's not my car or money, but if it were, I'd stay away from that 6l80. You will only see more money and time go down the drain, and frustrations mounting. Not challenging you, just throwing my opinion out there.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok cool, I can dig that. So put a fully automatic 4l80 in it then, I mean, it IS an overdrive transmission. So there should be no issues with driveability. It's not my car or money, but if it were, I'd stay away from that 6l80. You will only see more money and time go down the drain, and frustrations mounting. Not challenging you, just throwing my opinion out there.
youve always given me good advice. And I agree, your right. My better course of action would be to put a 4l80 in it. I’ll look around, what’s the best vehicle to find one out of? I do have a couple salvage yard hook ups.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:26 PM
TECH Junkie

youve always given me good advice. And I agree, your right. My better course of action would be to put a 4l80 in it. I’ll look around, what’s the best vehicle to find one out of? I do have a couple salvage yard hook ups.
They can be found in most trucks from the early 90s on. Probably some other vehicles too, but i'm really not too familiar on sourcing them.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

A 4l80e will handle 800+ without a sweat all day and the driveability is great , just like a stock 4l60 , its easy to tune , don't go fully manual , I don't understand why people recommend that for a daily application. They are cheap and plentiful just have to look in the right places , the older style are usually dirt cheap $100-$300 and the newer style command a little more money. Can always pick up a core for cheap and have it rebuilt by a local trans shop as well for peace of mind .
Old 02-26-2019, 02:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Lsx Rubi
A 4l80e will handle 800+ without a sweat all day and the driveability is great , just like a stock 4l60 , its easy to tune , don't go fully manual , I don't understand why people recommend that for a daily application. They are cheap and plentiful just have to look in the right places , the older style are usually dirt cheap $100-$300 and the newer style command a little more money. Can always pick up a core for cheap and have it rebuilt by a local trans shop as well for peace of mind .
I don't think this GTO is his daily. And the only reason I mentioned full manual is, it's just flat out easier. Transmission does EXACTLY what you tell it WHEN you tell it, no weird electrical gremlins to jack around with, or other issues that come with electronic transmissions.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 355 Likes on 260 Posts

I don't think this GTO is his daily. And the only reason I mentioned full manual is, it's just flat out easier. Transmission does EXACTLY what you tell it WHEN you tell it, no weird electrical gremlins to jack around with, or other issues that come with electronic transmissions.
I did some research on this before choosing to stay with a 4l60e. The information is all out there on how to make the 4l80e fully auto in a 2004 gto, but people seem to have a lot of headaches with it. Most seem to prefer full manual when going to a 4l80e. I've had good success in the past with a 4l60e behind a 408 with a 200 shot so I went with a 4l60e again with my current car. I figure I'll stick with the 4l60e as long as I can because I keep my cars daily driveable even if I don't actually drive them daily. I've known people that are smarter than I am that chose to do the manual 4l80e rather than deal with the headaches of making it auto so that tells me it must be a pain.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:05 AM
TECH Regular

alot of people do th400 around my area and put manual valve bodies and such.

i know the 4l80e computers and such so i wouldnt know.
BUT

dont get rid of the goat
Old 02-26-2019, 08:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by panda240ss
alot of people do th400 around my area and put manual valve bodies and such.

i know the 4l80e computers and such so i wouldnt know.
BUT

dont get rid of the goat
I did a Th400 swap (from T56) in my car a few years ago with rvmb and have yet to regret it. Very much streetable (drive anywhere I want, without buzzing the motor). Cruise along on the freeway at 23-2400 rpm. The 400 isn't nearly as bad as many think it is, now I'm talking about Turbo world here, and not NA. If it was NA were talking about, then yea, it'd be a nightmare, as they require MUCH more gear.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:32 AM
10 Second Club

I did a Th400 swap (from T56) in my car a few years ago with rvmb and have yet to regret it. Very much streetable (drive anywhere I want, without buzzing the motor). Cruise along on the freeway at 23-2400 rpm. The 400 isn't nearly as bad as many think it is, now I'm talking about Turbo world here, and not NA. If it was NA were talking about, then yea, it'd be a nightmare, as they require MUCH more gear.
You are absolutely right. Keep in mind taller gear options are limited for him with the factory gto differential though.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:44 AM
TECH Regular

i was going to do a turbo400 since they are cheap and i can find them at any junkyard lol but ill have to see cause i have 3.3 gearing diff because i run the 350z trans and diff lol
Old 02-28-2019, 12:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BCNUL8R
I did some research on this before choosing to stay with a 4l60e. The information is all out there on how to make the 4l80e fully auto in a 2004 gto, but people seem to have a lot of headaches with it. Most seem to prefer full manual when going to a 4l80e. I've had good success in the past with a 4l60e behind a 408 with a 200 shot so I went with a 4l60e again with my current car. I figure I'll stick with the 4l60e as long as I can because I keep my cars daily driveable even if I don't actually drive them daily. I've known people that are smarter than I am that chose to do the manual 4l80e rather than deal with the headaches of making it auto so that tells me it must be a pain.

this.

Ive been doing research on it. Seems it’s much easier said than done. I don’t want to muck my car up either. I found a good late model unit for $400. I’ve really been considering buying it. But......

i knoe the 4l60 will live if I quit being a cheapass and buy the sonnax billet 300m shafts.

Its not my daily. But I do drive it almost every day except when it’s clean and I know it’s gonna rain. If its dirty and it’s gonna rain, I’ll drive it. But even tho it may not be my primary vehicle, it has to be able to be my daily if need be.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:39 AM
10 Second Club

this.

Ive been doing research on it. Seems it’s much easier said than done. I don’t want to muck my car up either. I found a good late model unit for $400. I’ve really been considering buying it. But......

i knoe the 4l60 will live if I quit being a cheapass and buy the sonnax billet 300m shafts.

Its not my daily. But I do drive it almost every day except when it’s clean and I know it’s gonna rain. If its dirty and it’s gonna rain, I’ll drive it. But even tho it may not be my primary vehicle, it has to be able to be my daily if need be.
I know I've harped on you about putting good parts in the driveline. With forced induction making the power is the easy part. At some point you have to make a decision to limit power or put good stuff in it because you don't like constantly fixing/replacing stuff. If you are constantly fixing/replacing stuff you end up spending more than you would have if you just put good stuff in it to begin with.

I'd take your time on this one, research and think through what you want to do. Make an honest decision how much power you see yourself wanting a year from now and build the trans/driveline to support that.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BCNUL8R
I know I've harped on you about putting good parts in the driveline. With forced induction making the power is the easy part. At some point you have to make a decision to limit power or put good stuff in it because you don't like constantly fixing/replacing stuff. If you are constantly fixing/replacing stuff you end up spending more than you would have if you just put good stuff in it to begin with.

I'd take your time on this one, research and think through what you want to do. Make an honest decision how much power you see yourself wanting a year from now and build the trans/driveline to support that.
This gets even more important when you are trying to motivate a 4000 pound car, with a motor that makes diesel like torque. Using op's situation as an example, there's clear and overly abundant evidence of this. Op, I know you've said you've built some of these 60e's for people who are in the single digits, but how many weigh 4k, vs cars that are stripped down race cars that get driven on the street? I've said this in another thread, but I challenge anybody, next time you are at the track and you see someone make an impressive hit, 9s and let's say 145+ (fully equipped GENUINE street car), see how many 4l60e's you find in these guys transmission tunnels. Also ask how long since they've had to go back through it. There's a good reason why you see 4l80, Powerglide, Th400, Th350 as the main transmission of choice, in anything that is making any kind of power.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

my votes still for a 4l80e

Quick Reply: My first single turbo build