Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Anyone running the gfb g force III boost controller?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 10:23 AM
9 Second Club

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Anyone running the gfb g force III boost controller?

looking to see if anyone is running one of these yet. Looks like it has a lot of really good features like reading afr and cutting boost during lean conditions.

If your running one, what do think about it?
Old 02-06-2019, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not yet but looks like worth upgrading from my gforce 2 which has been great
Old 02-08-2019, 10:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts

Someone on here recommended me check out the cortex boost controller, so i did. After research, I ended up with it. I'm very happy with it and the price is great too. it does everything i need plus alot more.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:21 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertD
looking to see if anyone is running one of these yet. Looks like it has a lot of really good features like reading afr and cutting boost during lean conditions.

If your running one, what do think about it?
Well I just looked it up and now I want to buy one so thanks for that! It looks pretty good so now I'm curious.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

I dont see how the cortex is anywhere close to as good as the gforce 3
Old 02-08-2019, 12:16 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by cypris09
Well I just looked it up and now I want to buy one so thanks for that! It looks pretty good so now I'm curious.
lol your the second person I’ve turned on to the Gforce 3 since I’ve asked this question (I’m in no way affiliated with gfb, lol not affiliated with anyone) . Looks like all the same features as the 2 but with addition to the lean a/f boost cut which would save motors...would have saved my last one anyways lol

im just going to go ahead and order one. sure the hell beats the manual controller I have now
Old 02-09-2019, 09:35 AM
9 Second Club

I ordered one but won’t have any feedback for at least a month. I’m going from a gt45 to a 7875 and waiting on that show up from China.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by fif_gen_powa
I dont see how the cortex is anywhere close to as good as the gforce 3
Seriously? it has all the same features PLUS it has TRUE BOOST BY GEAR. It has meth control. does the g force have that? So your right, its not anywhere close to the g force, its way better.

here's a quick overview on the cortex:
  • Gear, RPM, and vehicle speed based boost control
    • Set boost at up to 64 points PER gear based on RPM, RPM + TPS, or vehicle speed
  • PID based feedback control algorithm optimized for boost control applications
  • Launch specific settings to improve standing start acceleration and consistency
  • Spool specific settings to minimize turbo lag
  • Overboost fail-safe settings to protect engines from potentially damaging boost levels
  • Memory storage for 6 completely unique boost control profiles that can be selected on the fly
  • Internal 50.0 PSI Pressure Sensor
  • 1 RPM input
  • 1 vehicle speed input
  • 1 general purpose input
    • Can be connected to TPS, flex-fuel, WBO2, water/meth flow sensors, or transbrake switches to provide additional boost control and fail-safe capabilities.
  • 2 fully programmable PWM outputs with 3D mapping
  • Software based configuration with high speed data logging
  • NEW FEATURES UNDER DEVELOPMENT:
    • 64-point Time Based Boost Control Strategy
    • Transbrake Bump Control
    • Boost Scramble
    • Water Methanol Pressure Detection and Fail-Safe Settings
    • Peak boost recall
    • remote scrable capable
    • afr, speed, gear, boost, TPS Display
    • comes with three port solonoid
    • your choice of round gauge or square

heres the GFORCE 3
  • • FOR BOOST PRESSURES UP TO 50PSI (3.45BAR, 345KPA)
    • ADJUST PEAK BOOST, RISE RATE, AND CLOSED-LOOP CORRECTION
    • DISPLAY BOOST PRESSURE IN PSI, BAR, OR KPA
    • 6 BOOST PRESETS, INDIVIDUALLY PROGRAMMABLE
    • UNIQUE “SCRAMBLE” FEATURE WITH REMOTE SWITCHING
    • PEAK BOOST RECALL
    • AIR/FUEL RATIO DISPLAY IN AFR OR LAMBDA (WHEN CONNECTED TO A WIDEBAND O2 CONTROLLER)
    • SEPARATELY ADJUSTABLE OVERBOOST AND LEAN MIXTURE WARNING/BOOST CUT
    • TOUCH BUTTONS WITH USER SELECTABLE ILLUMINATION COLOURS
    • AUXILIARY INPUT TO SWITCH BOOST PRESETS OR ACTIVATE SCRAMBLE
    • ½ DIN SIZE CASING, FITS STANDARD STEREO SLOT
    • SUPPLIED WITH MAC 3-PORT SOLENOID
So im not quite sure what you mean by its not nearly as good. It has way more features and their customer support and communication is one of the best I've dealt with.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:07 AM
9 Second Club

Wow. I guess I just quickly skimmed over the features of that controller and missed a lot. That controller really does have a lot of features
Old 02-09-2019, 10:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Wow. I guess I just quickly skimmed over the features of that controller and missed a lot. That controller really does have a lot of features
man I went through this a few months ago. After researching, emailing and calling I settled on the cortex. Mainly because others mention boost by gear but after further research I find that it’s not true boost by gear. How? Well other controllers (sub $500 range) have a timed (but what if you spin? Throws it off) boost ramp. So it really doesn’t know what gear your in. It was mentioned that you could put switches or something in the gear selector. Yea, no. I’m not doing that. If your road racing, it doesn’t know when you down shift. Now the cortex, it knows what gear your in by the speed sensor, rpm and tps. I honestly don’t know how it does it, but I can move the selector back and forth at any throttle angle or speed and immediately it show the correct gear on the display. It’s a very impressive unit for the money.

another couple features is you can set the boost per throttle position and rpm and gear. That comes in real handy in an overpowered daily or street car.
It has a waterflow option. It allows more precise control and also knows if it’s spraying the correct amount to cut boost if it isn’t. Also can be used as a meth/water controller without having to have a hobb switch.

Last edited by Kfxguy; 02-09-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:18 AM
9 Second Club

I should have read more and I may cancel my order.

Love that they do periodic updates on it and transbrake bump feature. Also didn’t realize I need a 4 port solinoid since I’m running 2 wastegates which with the cortex is a $10 upgrade but the gforce you have to purchase it sepertly. I think you just sold me on it
Old 02-09-2019, 11:36 AM
TECH Veteran

I should have read more and I may cancel my order.

Love that they do periodic updates on it and transbrake bump feature. Also didn’t realize I need a 4 port solinoid since I’m running 2 wastegates which with the cortex is a $10 upgrade but the gforce you have to purchase it sepertly. I think you just sold me on it
you do need to set it up on your laptop, but that likely goes for either. its very easy once you figure it out. the in program instructions are very detailed. The install instructions are detailed but straight forward. IIRC you only hook up 4 wires. 4 PORT isnt required for a dual wastegate system. 4 port allows you to force more with the spring for more boost.

o and btw, He's working on a more elegant LCD display that will be an available upgrade later on.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
Seriously? it has all the same features PLUS it has TRUE BOOST BY GEAR. It has meth control. does the g force have that? So your right, its not anywhere close to the g force, its way better.
So im not quite sure what you mean by its not nearly as good. It has way more features and their customer support and communication is one of the best I've dealt with.
The link I checked it out on just made it look like a run of the mill controller - https://sirhclabs.com/product/cortex-ebc/

Thank you for pointing out what it can do and man it can do a lot and seems to be perfect for what I want. Very nice features https://sirhclabs.com/ will be my next purchase thank you!
Old 02-14-2019, 06:55 PM
9 Second Club

Well I didn’t cancel my order in time and it got shipped out. Received it today. I’m just going to give it and try and see how it goes. I’ll report back once it’s hooked up and the car is back on the track
Old 02-15-2019, 04:53 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I didn’t cancel my order in time and it got shipped out. Received it today. I’m just going to give it and try and see how it goes. I’ll report back once it’s hooked up and the car is back on the track
Honestly both of them look great. Unless you need all the extra that the cortex offers then you saved money ( assuming this one works of course) Either way let us know how it goes!